Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times

Advertisements

I've noticed how many people who post on the California forum do not live in California yet post all kinds of hateful comments about California & Californians. It seems that those who devote so much negative attention on California hardly ever post in their own state's forums. Many who criticize California seem to be from Texas or the South.

I wonder how many Californians even read threads in other state forums? Who would spend so much time criticizing a state they don't even live in & for many, have never been to California.

Seems like close to half the posters in the California forum don't live here yet many share their hate for our state over and over again.

Why is it that non-Californians seem to be so involved in our state's affairs & gladly toss in their ugly comments about our great state?

Old 03-29-2009, 05:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Many of the people you're referring to are former California residents, even California natives who know the state well and have left.

I could ask why so many people who've never been to California except for a week long vacation think its the greatest place in the world and so easily dismiss the experiences of those who've lived and worked here for many years.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:48 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
There is also a difference in criticizing the whole state and criticizing the government that runs the state.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:52 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I've noticed how many people who post on the California forum do not live in California yet post all kinds of hateful comments about California & Californians. It seems that those who devote so much negative attention on California hardly ever post in their own state's forums. Many who criticize California seem to be from Texas or the South.

I wonder how many Californians even read threads in other state forums? Who would spend so much time criticizing a state they don't even live in & for many, have never been to California.

Seems like close to half the posters in the California forum don't live here yet many share their hate for our state over and over again.

Why is it that non-Californians seem to be so involved in our state's affairs & gladly toss in their ugly comments about our great state?
Don't be surprised. Many people from said areas you mentioned tend to be a bit distrustful of new residents, but not all. Part of it has to do with the fact that many Californians and Southerners tend to clash when it comes to how things should be done. I live in Georgia and I have a few friends from California. Many of them miss California because California has many things that Georgia doesn't have. I have a friend who moved back to San Diego after 4 years attending college in Georgia. She was San Diego-born and raised and the cultural issues were one thing she had to cope with. She did have a few friends because of her outgoing nature, but she missed San Diego. I don't blame her. Another thing is that Californians are often blamed for the rise of real estate prices.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
I've noticed that many people like to criticize residents from other states in general. California and NY bear a special burden. Perhaps we inspire dislike because our states are terrific. It seems like everyone wants to live in either of them, and they do. That makes it crowded. And expensive. So, we relocate only to find that other places are cheaper for a reason. They ain't so great, maybe. We miss what we left. Some of us go back. Some of us whine. It makes us unpopular, especially when we close our eyes to what is good about where we've relocated.

Personally, I've given up trying to find a substitute for SoCal. We're biting the bullet and going back when our eldest finishes her senior year in high school in 2010. SoCal has its problems but there's no place like it.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:13 PM

9 posts, read 36,172 times
I'm not from California, and I don't hate it.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
JEALOUSY!! Plain and simple. Even if people once lived here I'm ok with the criticism but people who have never lived here and maybe visited an area but sees something on the news/tv, for them to provide opinions about a place is just annoying. When I provide my take on NY, NJ, GA, N. California, or So. California, and other places where I have lived I can because I have lived there.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Jealousy. Places like CA and NY get all the attention.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,732 times
I have lived in several places and visited many states including so Cal several times. Both my son and sister live or lived there; Redlands and Sherman Oaks. I have always enjoyed my visits, but wouldn't want to live there. I simply prefer the greenery and four seasons of the northeast and, yes I realize no Cal is quite different from so Cal.
I'm one outsider that doesn't hate (or even dislike) the state, the people or the government and I love to watch your news, always something interesting going on.
I often joked with my California attorneys that so Californians are "the way they are" because they are all high on wacky weed. Much of La county is in a bowl and the haze often just hangs over it. That haze is wacky weed smoke. The cops burn wacky weed fields and the smoke just hangs over the bowl getting everyone high and if that's not enough the sun frys their brains. It's no wonder so Californians are (different?) - LOL
Hope this is a good chuckle for you!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM

250 posts, read 737,572 times
[quote=Gaffer;8099778]I have lived in several places and visited many states including so Cal several times. Both my son and sister live or lived there; Redlands and Sherman Oaks. I have always enjoyed my visits, but wouldn't want to live there. I simply prefer the greenery and four seasons of the northeast and, yes I realize no Cal is quite different from so Cal.
I'm one outsider that doesn't hate (or even dislike) the state, the people or the government and I love to watch your news, always something interesting going on.
I often joked with my California attorneys that so Californians are "the way they are" because they are all high on wacky weed. Much of La county is in a bowl and the haze often just hangs over it. That haze is wacky weed smoke. The cops burn wacky weed fields and the smoke just hangs over the bowl getting everyone high and if that's not enough the sun frys their brains. It's no wonder so Californians are (different?) - LOL
Hope this is a good chuckle for you![/quote]

Nah no chuckles ... just a case of another non- Californians senseless stereotyping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California