Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:30 AM

491 posts, read 886,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
I hear so many people say that they want to move to California because the people are so "laid back", and they want that "relaxed surfer lifestyle". I am wondering if this really exists any more. It seems that most people who live in California are working their butts off to make ends meet, and sitting in traffic for hours to and from work. I'm just wondering how many people can have a laid back attitude given this way of life. I would think even those in the entertainment industry would be stressed out, with always having to look good, dealing with the Paparazzi, and just generally having to keep up appearances. What are your thoughts?
I think it still applies to celebrities. That particular "California dream" died right alongside the hippie movement about 1969 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I'm a Midwesterner and get pissy. The "real" East Coast types just think they do it better.

I would imagine if you lived and "worked" in Manhattan Beach, life would be somewhat casual.
Why is "getting pissy" supposed to be a badge of honor? That's why us Californians make fun of most east-coasters. Life's too short for that crap. Angelenos may "get pissy" in traffic, but we also know the value of soaking up what little stress-free values life has to offer when we can seize the opportunity. Most of us don't live by the beach. We deal with stress far less tolerable than what exists in the midwest, yet we make the best of it.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:12 AM

138 posts, read 510,975 times
You all make me want to move back home even sooner. I moved to Upstate New York from Sacramento in October of last year for my husbands work and I cannot wait to get home again. It is a big change in attitude from there to here.I grew up in Santa Rosa ,above SF and lived there until I was almost 30 and I am definately a more laid back person.I think I have tie dye blood running through my veins. These people get so worked up over the goofiest things. And the People in NYC are absolutley the most high strung uptight people. They all are in such a big freakin hurry that they cannot even wait for the traffic lights to change.And then they all honk at each other!
I cannot ride my bike because it is so damn cold and I miss everyone being so athletic and out and about. Living in Sacramento was a great place for being outdoors and still maintaing the Bay Area health drive.
I am hoping to move back before the end of this year.My husbands job did not work out and I am so desperate to move back.
I have had enough of people not saying hello or excuse me and being in such a big rush.I need the laid back style because it does truely exsist. As everyone has mentioned it does differ from what alot people think but it does exist.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:52 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
I think it still applies to celebrities. That particular "California dream" died right alongside the hippie movement about 1969 or so.
Another victim of the Manson Family? Or another death at Altamont?

There were still aspects of the laid back Southern California of times past until about 1980 or thereabouts. You can still find laid back pockets in certain parts of NorCal.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Another victim of the Manson Family? Or another death at Altamont?

There were still aspects of the laid back Southern California of times past until about 1980 or thereabouts. You can still find laid back pockets in certain parts of NorCal.
It's easy to be laid back in Humboldt county with the cash-crops up there.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:31 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
There is a definite difference in east coast v. west coast attorneys. Westies are much more subtle in court, easties are up in your face. Not that one style is more effective than the others. But the difference in courtroom demeanor is striking.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:08 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
It's easy to be laid back in Humboldt county with the cash-crops up there.
Exactly.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 AM

57 posts, read 382,182 times
As a non Californian, I have found the people here to be quite laid back. So much so that they drive in the left lane going 55 in a 70 like it's no big deal.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:05 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Yeah, you can live a laid back California Beach Lifestyle... right after you get rich enough to afford the beach front property plus enough to retire on, LOL!

Other choice... be a "burned out semi-stoned loser" as another poster mentioned, LOL!

Some folks that work here will call themselves "laid back". What that generally means is they wear unusually casual clothes to work. Like one VP I can think of that wore sweats to the office. But other than that, was the standard type x management type.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:11 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
I lived in LA in the 90s.... but I woke up a week after the Northridge quake and asked myself '....what do I want out of life?' That said, I moved to back to Florida. Life is easy going here and I live at half the cost of anywhere in California... 30 minutes to MIA, 3 hours to Bogota, 6 hours to Rio de Janeiro, 4 hours to Manaus (Amazon) 8 hours to Barcelona (all direct flights: $200-Colombia, $400 Brazil and $500 Barcelona; round trip). I own a large home, a Corvette, R1 sportbike, self employed with minimal debt that frees me up to travel and enjoy life. Oh, forgot to add, no kids, no alimoney, no child support. If I stayed in LA, I'd be another 9-5er busting my booty like most of you good folks here.

People complain about Florida's humidity, low wages, etc. Well, I chose to leave LA, and I'm typing this post on the Beach in South Spain (Marbello) with my Brazilian princess.

Warren Buffett can live anywhere, but he chose to live in a small mid-western town. Perhaps some of you might want to learn a thing or two from Master Warren? California, for all it's accolades, up to the late 80s was a great place to be... I cant say it is anymore.

My $0.002
It's none of my business, but I have to ask.

Exactly how do you afford to live this way?

The low salaries, eventually not being able to find work in my field caused me to leave Fl. 10 or so years ago, and it was my home state.

Problem was the two fold whammy.

"Why are salaries low?"

"It's the sun belt!"

"Why are housing prices high?"

"It's the sun belt".

So you got screwed by two markets at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California