Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its a teachable moment.

if you have kids and are a god parent you understand this.

having a day for MLK is a teachable moment.
having a day for Cesar Chavez is a teachable moment.

the gays are not forcing anything down anyones throat.
this is more about factual representation of a california historical figure.

some people...
You know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I wish the schools would just have "teachable moments" in geography, math, science (this one especially), reading and writing!
We are being overcome by other countries that emphasize real solid learning instead of this kumbayah garbage!

I am really tired of this social engineering by our "educational" system.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,986 times
Our schools do a pretty darned good job. The schools have children 6 hours a day, parents have them 18, if a kid is not learning don't blame the outfit that has the kid 25% of the day.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 PM

308 posts, read 467,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
You know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I wish the schools would just have "teachable moments" in geography, math, science (this one especially), reading and writing!
We are being overcome by other countries that emphasize real solid learning instead of this kumbayah garbage!

I am really tired of this social engineering by our "educational" system.
Right because those classes are not taught every day in school. The failure of our education system isn't because there is one class a year on tolerance for gays and others. Nor does failure lie solely with the schools alone. Parents need to get past this notion that their kids education ends when the student walks out the school doors each day . Other countries are exceeding us because its in their culture to further themselves and they are driven to do so both at home and on a societal level.

It's one day, just one day (realistically, not even a full day) to recognize someone significant to many people. The other 179 days will be back to your regularly scheduled "geography, math, science, reading and writing". Many people actually appreciate a well rounded approach to education including social aspects.

Give it a rest people, its sadly clear what your disagreements with this initiative are really about and all the more reason why it is needed. If he wasn't gay, there wouldn't be a thread here.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPatrick1970 View Post
I'm not religious but I do believe in nature. Two men/women can't hook up and have a child so why should my children learn about this lifestyle? If you put all the gays on an island in the middle of the ocean with infinite amenities, they'll still die off in a generation.
Because if they don't, they end up thinking like this. Ignorance has no merit. They should inform children that there are other people who may not be like them, and then leave it alone--no judgment, no ridicule. But then that will upset those ignorant parents who think they do deserve judgment and ridicule. Honestly, let's arm our children with the facts even if we don't like the facts. Perhaps their generation will learn how to solve the problems we seem utterly unwilling to resolve.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Quote:
If he wasn't gay, there wouldn't be a thread here.
I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but here's my reply: Wrong! Like I said, I'd support a Dag Hammarskjold Day.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
This discussion proves that the average American isn't very bright. This will be a better country as the more homophobic generations die off.

We have a black history month and a Latino history month, but just one day that celebrates the life of a gay man is enough to cause hysteria.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I guess this commercial was a lie.
Prop. 8 and Harvey Milk Day have nothing to do with each other. I guess homophobes have a difficult time separating the two. They hear the word "gay" and immediately have a negative reaction, no matter what the reality may be.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Too much too soon imo, you can't force these things overnight like some people are trying to.
Force what overnight? Harvey Milk Day?

Quote:
The gay community may have done more harm than good to their cause with this yet seem to wrapped up in their own world to realize that.
It's interesting how people freely say things like that about "the gay community", as if all gays act in unison. Why do you have an "us versus them" mentality"?

It's funny - people love to criticize "the gay community" as if gays are some kind of enemy, but I never hear gays talk about "the straight community" in the same way. Maybe it's time that we do. Look up the FBI stats on the number of anti-gay crimes versus the number of anti-straight crimes. If you're gay or perceived to be gay, you're something like 40 times more likely to be a victim of a hate-crime than you are if you're straight.

Enjoy your privilege, I guess. Must be nice.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:06 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,696,184 times
Ok, people are getting way ridiculous with this gay day.

QUESTIONS ANSWERED

1.Why a gay day? Im straight i dont need people celebrating/teaching about my sexuality!

= Because the purpose is no so much to 'celebrate' being gay but to instill tolerance and acceptance in children so the next generation will not have the prejudice that im seeing on this board.
Straight people arent deny marriage/inheritance/jobs/immigration based on their sexuality, thats why we dont need to promote tolerance of heterosexuality. YOU ARE NOT DISCRIMINATED ON YOUR SEXUALITY.

QUESTION
-This will just make my kids gay.

Answer
Your sexuality is biological, inheritant. thats why gay people cant just 'change'. You didnt 'decide' one day to like the opposite sex, it just happened naturally. Gays like the same sex the same way. They didnt decide it.

Gay people are children of straight people, not gay ones, thus proving that sexuality is inherent not environmental.

QUESTION
Its too much too soon!

Would you deny a fellow American equal rights? This day is a step to address discrimination against a very discriminated a group.

What annoys me is that people dont question that racism is wrong. To say someone is unequal based on race is wrong. its a fact. Yet sexually....every man and his dog can say despicable things and it is termed "debate" and "freedom".

QUESTION
But gays are pedophiles!!

Answer
Gays are no more pedophiles that straights are. Look up the statistics on your local sex offenders, chances are they are men who preyed on little girls.

IGNORANCE people wake up

Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
Those losers in sacramento have nothing else better to do. I can honestly see why 3k people leave ca weekly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California