Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times

Advertisements

I hereby nominate Dag Hammarskjold for an official day of celebration in CA schools.
Dag Hammarskjöld - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
because he worked for peace and had success in doing so in various places around the world.
Oh, and the footnote that can be included: he was homosexual.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:20 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its a teachable moment.
At home yes. In school? Uh, no.

Quote:
if you have kids and are a good parent you understand this.
One person's view of good parenting may be seen as child abuse by another.

Quote:
having a day for MLK is a teachable moment.
having a day for Cesar Chavez is a teachable moment.
So first Harvey Milk is likened to Martin Luther King Jr and now he is likened to Cesar Chavez.

Whose next? Ghandi?

Quote:
the gays are not forcing anything down anyones throat.
Actually,
The Governor vetoed this bill at first because Milk is mainly significant to SF and not really the whole state but after tens of thousands of gays up and down the throat barraged his office with complaints-he caved.

So apparently there was some forcing down throats involved.

Quote:
this is more about factual representation of a california historical figure.
That's good spin.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Thank God I live in the South.
Thank God I live in the Northwest.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,633 times
Yawn...are we really going to get all worked up about this. I have 2 school aged children and I am happy they will learn about Harvey Milk and how he was murdered because of his sexual orientation. Teaching children about recent history and teaching children that it's not OK to kill somebody because you don't agree with their choice of a life partner is fine with me. And this will not be "Gay Day" just as MLK Day is not "Black Day" and Caesar Chavez Day is not "Brown Day" (but the kids do know about a band called Green Day).

Old 10-13-2009, 06:26 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Quote:
it's not OK to kill somebody because you don't agree with their choice of a life partner
Supposedly, Dan White killed Milk because Milk was instrumental in keeping White from getting his job back; nothing to do with his sexual orientation. White also killed Moscone, who wasn't gay.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:29 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
Yawn...are we really going to get all worked up about this. I have 2 school aged children and I am happy they will learn about Harvey Milk and how he was murdered because of his sexual orientation.
He wasnt killed for that reason.

See folks, this is what's going to happen-history will be rewritten to emphasize an agenda.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Supposedly, Dan White killed Milk because Milk was instrumental in keeping White from getting his job back; nothing to do with his sexual orientation. White also killed Moscone, who wasn't gay.
I stand corrected. Thank you for this teachable moment. So learning about Harvey Milk isn't really about "Gay Day". It's about a liberal public servant and elected official who was killed by a conservative and disgruntled public servant who didn't get his way. Seems like something we should all know about.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
I stand corrected. Thank you for this teachable moment. So learning about Harvey Milk isn't really about "Gay Day". It's about a liberal public servant and elected official who was killed by a conservative and disgruntled public servant who didn't get his way. Seems like something we should all know about.
That makes it sound as if anytime someone goes postal over a work situation it should be a teachable moment, and it should. But that's what the media are for, not the schools except in general and without singling out a specific instance. After all, there are only 365 days in the year and many are already taken with more noteworthy and historical causes.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,986 times
This guy never did figure out what I was saying;
Quote:
So first Harvey Milk is likened to Martin Luther King Jr and now he is likened to Cesar Chavez.
Inspite of several explanations he persists in an erroneous conclusion, perhaps that is his problem in the first place, He cain't figure out common English.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
I watched this on my laptop during the plane ride to CA a couple weeks ago. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Didn't get into the "Twinkie Defense" of Dan White. It did highlight the brainwashed Anita Bryant.

White only served five years and committed suicide a couple years after his release.

Twinkie defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anita Bryant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can download "Milk" from The Pirate Bay.

Milk[2008]DvDrip[Eng]-FXG (download torrent) - TPB

YouTube - 'Milk' Trailer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California