Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Ok, people are getting way ridiculous with this gay day.
And this is why we really are better off having a representative government than government by referenda such as Prop. 8. The average person isn't very bright, and history has proven that the majority will almost always discriminate against the minority when given the opportunity.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 AM

701 posts, read 2,031,577 times
Jesus Christ. I understand gay rights and that's fine but to glorify the whole god damn issue and make holidays out of this crap, much less in the schools? Wtf.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPatrick1970 View Post
I'm not religious but I do believe in nature. Two men/women can't hook up and have a child so why should my children learn about this lifestyle? If you put all the gays on an island in the middle of the ocean with infinite amenities, they'll still die off in a generation.
You may not be religious, but you do seem to believe sex is ONLY for reproduction; which is about as nutty as any religious fundamental.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:02 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
Jesus Christ. I understand gay rights and that's fine but to glorify the whole god damn issue and make holidays out of this crap, much less in the schools? Wtf.
If the schools do talk about Harvey Milk Day, it may be the one day of the year that kids hear something positive about gays. This is especially important for the kids who grow up to be gay or bisexual, but also for those who don't.

The idea that gays might be talked about positively for one day a year in the public schools really seems to bother a lot of people.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If the schools do talk about Harvey Milk Day, it may be the one day of the year that kids hear something positive about gays. This is especially important for the kids who grow up to be gay or bisexual, but also for those who don't.

The idea that gays might be talked about positively for one day a year in the public schools really seems to bother a lot of people.
It's not so much the issue, but the way it's being paraded around and promoted like half of the intent is to p1ss certain groups off. That's the only thing that bugs me about it. As for the rights themselves, I'm in favor but why make a drama play out of it? How about subtlety and tact. You'll p1ss a lot less people off that way, but that's not the method people are going for. A lot of people are making as much noise and clamor as they can.

"Too much, too soon" does apply. Some people roll their eyes, but society isn't always ready to move at the speed of light. Why not work on rights in baby steps and then implement these observation/holi-days down the line sometime? Subtlety and tact. It goes a long way.

Last edited by Beat02; 10-14-2009 at 05:50 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 06:21 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Default What a joke

California continues to add to its reputation as "land of the larks." Absolutely insane.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Prop. 8 and Harvey Milk Day have nothing to do with each other. I guess homophobes have a difficult time separating the two. They hear the word "gay" and immediately have a negative reaction, no matter what the reality may be.
It is incredibly pathetic and delusional to label anyone who isnt on your bandwagon as being homophobic.

Talk about ignorant.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:10 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
And this is why we really are better off having a representative government than government by referenda such as Prop. 8. The average person isn't very bright, and history has proven that the majority will almost always discriminate against the minority when given the opportunity.
As a person of color, I take issue with this insistence that your desire to marry is the same as my struggle for civil rights.

And I applaud the people of California for sending a message loud and clear to the nation and world that we will not be pressured by a single subsection of society to bend or waiver just to suit their agenda.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 AM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
To recognize a courageous community leader and elected representative who was assassinated is not the equvelent to having a "Gay Day" as part of the curriculum. Get a grip, its not the same thing at all. Gays are part of America and part of American history.....there is no way to shove us back into the closet. Equal Marriage has nothing to do with it.

I wouldnt mind if the kids had a day to honor Thomas Jefferson....that isnt the same as having a "Slavery Day" or a Fatherhood Out of Wedlock Day" on the curriculum.....if there were a day to honor Ronald Reagan...that wouldnt be the same as putting "Divorce" on the curriculum and a tribute to JFK is not the same as celebrating his marital infidelity.

"Which of these things is not like the other?" Equal Marriage Rights....US Constitution....School Curriculums.

I have noticed in Maine where I live that because they can't sell their religiosity about abominations and can't convince people that the marriage of two people they dont know will somehow make their own marriage less important......that now they are using the totally erroneous arguement about school curriculums....and teaching your kid to be gay. That isnt what it's about....the bill specifically addresses equal marriage.....the curriculum has nothing to do with it.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As a person of color, I take issue with this insistence that your desire to marry is the same as my struggle for civil rights.

And I applaud the people of California for sending a message loud and clear to the nation and world that we will not be pressured by a single subsection of society to bend or waiver just to suit their agenda.
Excellent Montclair. This is exactly my point as well.

You're OK. I don't care what they say about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California