Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 PM

857 posts, read 1,733,609 times

Advertisements

A friend just alerted me to a movement to create a new state of Jefferson for SW Oregon and NE California (web sites below).

What is the current status of this movement?

In my view, it could prove to be a good idea given the fiscal problems in California and Oregon. However, I'd have to study how much OR and CA government money supports unemployment compensation and health care for the counties in question. And, government regulation surrounding the harvesting of natural resources, and home construction by way of growth mgmt. etc. etc.

Jefferson - The 51st State - Northern California / Southern Oregon - A State of Mind
the adventure life | Jefferson State: Separate and a Lot More Than Equal
Mama, I’m Coming Home Lyrics, Ozzy Osbourne Mama, I’m Coming Home Lyrics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:59 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
What is the current status of this movement?
About the same as it was in 1941.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Why would anybody want to create a state out of those counties?

There's high unemployment, and the largest population center is Medford.

Come on now.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
This subject comes up a lot. My entire life people have talked about spliting the state in half, in thirds, creating the State of Jefferson. It is something that may never end. What may bring real change is to clean out the legislature and eliminate all state employee unions.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
I'll lay money on a peaceful, independent Palestine happening before the State of Jefferson.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 PM

857 posts, read 1,733,609 times
Default The 51st State Of Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
This subject comes up a lot. My entire life people have talked about spliting the state in half, in thirds, creating the State of Jefferson. It is something that may never end. What may bring real change is to clean out the legislature and eliminate all state employee unions.
I have only driven through SW Oregon and NW California from the NW to the SW. There's something "different" about that area that's hard to describe. And, there are places such as Arcata, Eugene, and perhaps Ashland that are clearly anti-establishment.

And, I think that many residents are strongly Libertarian and don't want the feds increasing taxes or going after pot. SW Oregon didn't vote for the Tax measure yesterday: Live election results - Measure 66 & 67 :: Your Government - The Oregonian

And, it seems that Northern Nevada is somewhat Libertarian. Given Nevada's financial issues, perhaps Vegas could be Nevada's new capital, and Reno and parts north could become part of Jefferson.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Personally, I'd like to see California secede from the Union all together, but that's illegal. The Mythical State of Jefferson is, I suppose, just as much of a fantasy. For one thing, in these types of "break-aways," like counties splitting, the breaking party pays all of the costs. I can't see an area as economically depressed as the Siskiyou region of CA/OR having the financial means to break away, let alone sustain themselves as a State. Not only that, neither California nor Oregon would give up the areas easily, citing tax base and natural resources as the reasons.

Then again, as the U.S. economy falters and crumbles in on itself, the country will probably break up into smaller regional sovereignties. Maybe the State of Jefferson will emerge as its own little area of governance then. Who knows? Of course if that happens in my lifetime, I will have hopefully attained either Canadian or Costa Rican residency, so...

Old 01-28-2010, 12:50 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Actually, Arcata is a lot more Green than Libertarian--they are the only city in the US to ever have a majority of Green Party members on its city council. There are more conservatives and libertarians in counties like Orange and Placer than the entire population of Humboldt, several times over.

Jefferson is an incredibly bad idea--it would be a state with no tax base, but it wouldn't save enough money to California to save the rest of California. There have been over 100 attempts to split the state, dating back to the 1850s when Southern interests wanted to make southern California into a slave state. It's not going to happen.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
There was a novel, I cannot remember the name, it was popular in the 70's and dealt with a fictional nation of peaceful hippies comprising the approximate area of Jefferson.

The citizens did find that humans must have a violent outlet and there were woodsie war games that could result in death and injury.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Ecotopia?

Amazon.com: Ecotopia (9780553348477): Ernest Callenbach: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California