Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 09:05 PM

69 posts, read 272,970 times

Advertisements

I plan to leave California because many towns here just plain suck. Nice weather, nice environments, crappy people. I live in Stockton and suddenly the neighborhood and town is surrounded by thugs, or loud, beating "music" coming from cars driving down the streets (driven by the thugs). It only takes a few glances to see it's hopeless, and forget about having kids, you can't.

The schools here are the worst.

I visited Reno, Nevada months ago and it was a thousand times more worthwhile than any "town" in California.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 PM

36,664 posts, read 67,591,134 times
Im leaving too but not till next year, and definitely NOT because I hate it here...on the contrary, I love it here.

But Im moving for a new business venture to Sao Paulo, Brazil.

We're still trying to decide between this neighborhood far away in the suburbs..

This neighborhood in town

Im hoping for the city.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,760,101 times
I've lived in California and Hawaii all my life. Hawaii I found too expensive and TOO HOT, moved back to Calif and find that as I approach retirement a lower cost of living will make a big difference in my quality of life. I think I'll end up in Asheville or possibly South Carolina. Still checking places out.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM

8,522 posts, read 4,762,898 times
We left in 2005. What it all came down to was taxes - California taxes would have eaten my Dad's retirement savings in somwehere between 7-11 years. If you're working, California can be done, but on fixed income + retirement savings, I'm not sure how most folks could.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,523,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've lived in California and Hawaii all my life. Hawaii I found too expensive and TOO HOT, moved back to Calif and find that as I approach retirement a lower cost of living will make a big difference in my quality of life. I think I'll end up in Asheville or possibly South Carolina. Still checking places out.

We just closed on a home in Hudson NC today. NC is afforable and beautiful. We lived in CA for 25 years but miss it everyday but you have to save money and to save money you know when it is time to move. Three years ago we moved to FL but after the hurricanes ins co's was not renewing many of us they are all leaving the state and so are the people and they as we are mostly moving to NC.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
We just closed on a home in Hudson NC today. NC is afforable and beautiful. We lived in CA for 25 years but miss it everyday but you have to save money and to save money you know when it is time to move. Three years ago we moved to FL but after the hurricanes ins co's was not renewing many of us they are all leaving the state and so are the people and they as we are mostly moving to NC.
Congratulations! Hudson sounds like a wonderful place and I'll be checking out the Boone/Hudson area in the Fall. Thanks for the tip!

Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 PM

Re:Sao Paulo, I've heard the air pollution is unbelievable. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:06 PM

580 posts, read 1,682,054 times
I had a friend who lived in California, but couldnt handle the Santa Ana Winds so move to Michigan. They like it in Michigan better, they said " Didn't know the four seasons was that great." Winters are long here... may last from October-April, but its well worth it.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,470,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I had a friend who lived in California, but couldnt handle the Santa Ana Winds so move to Michigan. They like it in Michigan better, they said " Didn't know the four seasons was that great." Winters are long here... may last from October-April, but its well worth it.
Wow I've never heard of anyone leaving because of the Santa Anas. Its not like they last very long.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:59 PM

14 posts, read 57,063 times
I have left California twice. My 1st move was in 2002, I relocated to Arizona. Reason being the cost of living in California is crazy! The movie stars and well paid high tech folks are the only ones who can truly live the California dream. I was making decent money but it still wasn't enough for me at the time a single mom, to be out on my own, I was still living with my mom. I just wanted to get away from the Cali lifestyle and move somewhere where I could have my own. Most of you fellow ex Californians know that a lot of young people in California don't move out when they turn 18. It's just too expensive. I loved Arizona but my mother became ill and I moved back to Cali in 2004. However, I never really wanted to be there. Upon moving back I got a really good job yet I could still only afford a one bedroom, plus my commute to work was insane. I had planned on moving back to Arizona however, my ex and I got back together. All of his family is in Chicago. After a long hard decision I relocated to Chicago 2 months ago now. Didn't really like it there so we settle in NW Indiana. I was able to keep my job and I telecommute. I am now living in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom townhouse and paying only $25 more rent than I was in Cali for a tiny 1 bedroom. My next goal is to buy a house. A dream that would never come true in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California