Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 07:04 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Wow I've never heard of anyone leaving because of the Santa Anas. Its not like they last very long.
Actually, a lot of people like the Santa Anas, fire hazards aside. On a quiet night, they sound like wind chimes and blow gusts of warm air. Another thing I miss about SoCal...

Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Actually, a lot of people like the Santa Anas, fire hazards aside. On a quiet night, they sound like wind chimes and blow gusts of warm air. Another thing I miss about SoCal...
Santa Anas are the most annoying thing about California weather.

A passage by Raymond Chandler sums it up:

There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks....

Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 PM

101 posts, read 582,061 times
That's a great one, Charles. There's a Ross Macdonald book--is it The Underground Man?--where he uses the Santa Anas and a So. Cal. fire as a backdrop to his story.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono#9 View Post
That's a great one, Charles. There's a Ross Macdonald book--is it The Underground Man?--where he uses the Santa Anas and a So. Cal. fire as a backdrop to his story.
It is.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
We just closed on a home in Hudson NC today. NC is afforable and beautiful. We lived in CA for 25 years but miss it everyday but you have to save money and to save money you know when it is time to move. Three years ago we moved to FL but after the hurricanes ins co's was not renewing many of us they are all leaving the state and so are the people and they as we are mostly moving to NC.
I have been interested in NC (inland like Hudson), but am concerned about the ice storms/wintry mix since I've been told there are many:
NCDC Storm Events-Select State

What are the residents saying about the winter conditions in the Hudson area? I believe it's best to hear this information from people who actually live in an area, and would like to hear your input.

Thanks!!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 AM

105 posts, read 482,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I had a friend who lived in California, but couldnt handle the Santa Ana Winds so move to Michigan. They like it in Michigan better, they said " Didn't know the four seasons was that great." Winters are long here... may last from October-April, but its well worth it.
Part of the reason I can't wait to leave the East Coast. I absolutely dread this time of year in MD (winter). The days are shorter, it's dark by the time you get off of work (I know this is everywhere though). And it's absolutely freezing and it only gets worse lasting until mid-April. I hate the snow, it's just a hassle to have to clean off your car in the morning to get to work, I hate having to shovel it, I hate having to warm up my car in the morning because the temps were below freezing the night before, and I hate driving in it. I do not like the winter, I'd rather it be in the 60s-70s year round excepting the summer of course. I'll be moving to MoVal (LA a little later)at the beginning of next year and I'm definitely looking forward to it. After living in MD most of my life, you can have the cold winters, snow, sleet, ice, and freezing rain.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:14 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Re:Sao Paulo, I've heard the air pollution is unbelievable. Good luck!
Its not that bad imo...but Ive lived there for several years already and love the place.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:42 PM

87 posts, read 119,296 times
Northwest Arkansas is a mecca for California expats. Bella Vista, Bentonville, Rogers. 25% of the people you meet are from California, mostly SoCal. It's beautiful country, and has incredible growth.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I like the Santa Ana winds. Aside from fire hazards as you mentioned, of course.
I am just so used to them, it would feel strange for me not to experience them. Which is good since I get those winds a lot where I live.

Santa Anas also result in nice weather like this:

Old 12-12-2007, 03:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbob View Post
Northwest Arkansas is a mecca for California expats. Bella Vista, Bentonville, Rogers. 25% of the people you meet are from California, mostly SoCal. It's beautiful country, and has incredible growth.
When Southern Californians move to anywhere en masse, they inevitably bring the problems of Southern California with them, particularly in areas of "incredible growth". Remember the experiences of Phoenix and Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California