Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:37 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
I've been pretty curious about this lately. In many neighboring states, there seems to be so much blind resentment against Californians in general. But California seems to be fairly accepting of everybody, regardless of origination.

People in other states seem to rank themselves by "generations living in the state." Did Californians used to be angry like that during the massive influx from the east coast, etc.?

Do ignorant people just like to blame "the Californian's" for all of their problems?
Do I blame incoming Californians for all problems where I live? No. What I don't care for is when they want to get out of CA and come here just to make it what it was there I'm constantly hearing, "we didn't do it that way" or "back in CA it was.... " If you want to live there and live elsewhere, fine, so long as you accept wholly the ideals, policies and simply the way of life as to where you're moving.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:11 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes. People are definitely ignorant. And they're aggressive in their ignorance! I am a native Californian and have lived in CA my whole life. Then last year we moved to Texas. It was an absolute nightmare. I knew it the first week I was there that it wasn't for me. I lived there for 9 months and I am back home in CA. I met some really nice people in Texas, but generally, they don't like Californians either. I am just so happy to be back home in CA among my fellow Californians!
Man I try and try to tell californians not to move to texas. Its just too much cutlure shock. I was born in Cali, moved to Oregon and then Wa. West coast is a good choice. Trying out Texas now. Wow do I H A T E it. I live what they say is the best city, Austin. Im leaving by the end of the month. I had an interview where I was asked what religion I was.

BTW the reason no cali hates other states is because they usually don't drive up prices. When you have 400,000 in equity on a dump you bought in the 90s, and you take that to another state, you don't need to bargin as hard, and generally the folks that are selling there house will get top dollar from californians. Some guy who lived in a dump apartment saving 25,000 for in 8 years for a down payment is going to be out bid by you. Also Californians like to brag about California....why not, Sunshine, close to the beach. Perfect weather. Conservative states, really hate you.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:13 AM

422 posts, read 759,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
I've been pretty curious about this lately. In many neighboring states, there seems to be so much blind resentment against Californians in general. But California seems to be fairly accepting of everybody, regardless of origination.

People in other states seem to rank themselves by "generations living in the state." Did Californians used to be angry like that during the massive influx from the east coast, etc.?

Do ignorant people just like to blame "the Californian's" for all of their problems?
The number of immigrants in a state has nothing to do with how friendly that state is to immigrants.

I don't think California is particularly welcoming of outsiders, it's just that it has a lot of immigrants which attracts other immigrants (most immigration is based on sponsorship of extended family), it's on the coast, it has a big border with Mexico (the biggest source of immigrants), and it has a number of large international airports.

Similar things are true of New York state, which I would distinctly say is not friendly to newcomers, having immigrated there myself in the early 1990's. I used to get spit on and told to go back to my own country on an almost daily basis there, which so far has never happened in Ohio, a state with far fewer immigrants.

I'm not saying California is as racist as New York, but don't fool yourself into thinking that all those Mexicans go to California because the folks there are rolling out the red carpet for them.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 AM

42 posts, read 69,226 times
I'm sorry, but you have surging housing prices in many locales, and it can't all be blamed on Californians. The whole idea that people dislike Californians just because they move to their state is pure narrow-minded idiocy. The trend as of late seems to be that we are becoming more nomadic as a nation. It seems like many people are now constantly on the move, looking for a place that fits them. Can you really blame Californians for being part of the group that is looking for a place which fits them? Honestly, many people are not happy with the areas where they are living, and they are looking for something that fits their lifestyle. I think people from all across the board are in this situation, and California just has a larger population, which means more are moving out. In all honesty, if you are a native of a city where Californians are "driving up the cost of housing" then you most likely have owned your house for at least five years. Well, thank a Californian when you make a huge profit selling your home, if you think this is the case.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:08 AM

840 posts, read 6,516,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Do I blame incoming Californians for all problems where I live? No. What I don't care for is when they want to get out of CA and come here just to make it what it was there I'm constantly hearing, "we didn't do it that way" or "back in CA it was.... " If you want to live there and live elsewhere, fine, so long as you accept wholly the ideals, policies and simply the way of life as to where you're moving.
You might not blame Californians, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same.

In the Northwest, Californians are criticized before they even move there. How can we become part of the culture when we're not welcomed? In my opinion, that's why most of us Californians revert back to our way of living.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarden View Post
I'm sorry, but you have surging housing prices in many locales, and it can't all be blamed on Californians. The whole idea that people dislike Californians just because they move to their state is pure narrow-minded idiocy. The trend as of late seems to be that we are becoming more nomadic as a nation. It seems like many people are now constantly on the move, looking for a place that fits them. Can you really blame Californians for being part of the group that is looking for a place which fits them? Honestly, many people are not happy with the areas where they are living, and they are looking for something that fits their lifestyle. I think people from all across the board are in this situation, and California just has a larger population, which means more are moving out. In all honesty, if you are a native of a city where Californians are "driving up the cost of housing" then you most likely have owned your house for at least five years. Well, thank a Californian when you make a huge profit selling your home, if you think this is the case.
Naw, does not make sense. I bought my house for 119,000 6 years ago, sold it 2 months ago to a californian for 220,000 (in Vancouver Wa). Do I have 101,000 to blow, no I don't because all the other homes have gone up that much or more. I moved to Texas to get a better deal. Unfortunalelty, I hate this place. I don't blame California for me hating texas, Im just saying that unless you want to move out of state, you get nothing. Thats why I moved with my equity, thats why you californians do it.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:27 PM

193 posts, read 1,403,099 times
I thought I had a good and honest point in my last post but now I KNOW I made a good one. Even in a forum what I spoke about is true! Welcome to California!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Bthere View Post
I thought I had a good and honest point in my last post but now I KNOW I made a good one. Even in a forum what I spoke about is true! Welcome to California!
I was out today looking at model homes and I noticed what you are talking about. Although not everyone just completely ignored each other, there were people at these homes (11 models at Griffin Ranch in La Quinta) who did tend to not make eye contact with others. Heck, hubby and I don't stop at the eye contact thing - we actually talk to some people!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 PM

42 posts, read 69,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Naw, does not make sense. I bought my house for 119,000 6 years ago, sold it 2 months ago to a californian for 220,000 (in Vancouver Wa). Do I have 101,000 to blow, no I don't because all the other homes have gone up that much or more. I moved to Texas to get a better deal. Unfortunalelty, I hate this place. I don't blame California for me hating texas, Im just saying that unless you want to move out of state, you get nothing. Thats why I moved with my equity, thats why you californians do it.
Well, if you wanted to stay in Vancouver, you shouldn't have sold your house. Also, being that you went to Texas, you most likely did make a profit since housing prices there are quite low. It's YOUR fault that you sold your house and moved to Texas -- stupid move I guess?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarden View Post
Well, if you wanted to stay in Vancouver, you shouldn't have sold your house. Also, being that you went to Texas, you most likely did make a profit since housing prices there are quite low. It's YOUR fault that you sold your house and moved to Texas -- stupid move I guess?
NO, we decided not to stay in Stay in Texas, I agree, Stupid move. We are moving to Colorado which Keeps up with Wa Prices. So I will pocket nothing. In order to pocket money, I am convinced you have to move to some where less desirable or a place where one cannot get a job. STUPID MOVE STUPID MOVE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California