Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Or Nebraska!

Curmudgeon, I know the Ozarks are quite beautiful. Could you live in a state like Nebraska or Kansas?
Oh hell no! Gotta have some hills 'n valleys 'n lotsa water, dontcha know! A dentist within 100 miles is a hep too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
If California is "like a third world country" what is the rest of the nation like then? [like your state?]. A "fourth world" country? California's economy is larger than all other states and ranks something like 8th worldwide.
It's comments like this that lead to people to reach conclusions like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Some of the responses in this thread reinforce my suspicion that the animus many "outsiders" have toward California doesn't have so much to do with California itself, but rather with some of the people who live there and their superiority complex that prompts them to believe that everyone who doesn't appreciate California secretly wishes they lived there or that their own state was like California. I realize this may come as a shock to some of you, but not everyone wants to live in a place like California. If you like living there, good for you. A whole lot of us are content with where we live too, as hard as that is to believe.
California's economy is so large because of it's size, not because it's more developed than the rest of the country. I assure you the rest of the country is on par with California when it come to development. California offers more than any other state overall, but it also has it's share of depressing areas.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
I think it's great all these Californians are moving to NW Arkansas. They bring a lot of money to the economy. It's more money in my pocket.

I love San Diego. Maybe I'll buy a condo in Mission Beach if prices drop enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well, we're waiting for you to generalize...you just told the truth LOL

Just messing around...maybe

Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
I have no idea why people from here would move to arkansas except that the houses there are like 5 dollars so even if the state sucks hard, prices bring people in.

I'm kidding. maybe

Old 06-26-2010, 01:03 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
The Ozarks are beautiful, for one. Just not in the Summer.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 PM

380 posts, read 691,827 times
I believe the criticisms are probably rooted in jealousy. For those of us from "other" or not as "appealing"states, California appears to be this beautiful, carefree, wealthy and wonderful paradise...! Although California is a huge state, when one thinks of Cali, one can't help but think: Hollywood! Of course, there are issues everywhere, however, when other states have images of the beauty of such states as California and Florida as comparisions, what can you say?!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,976 times
Oh my, what a long thread. I have to admit I didn't read all of it. I think some people are jealous of California. It's hard to live here. We have just about anything anybody could want. It's a big state. I'm a 3rd generation Californian..or family now has 5 generations here. We live all over the state. I'm in the Bay Area and hate it here. Too hot and crowded for me. I lived in Humboldt County for 10 years and love it there. I will be moving back. I wasn't hot for 10 years. See, there is something for everyone. You like the heat? There are plenty of beautiful, affordable places to live in this state. We are close to the mountains and the ocean. As far as the politics...I'm staying out of it. If you want a CCW go to Humboldt. I had one there. I have found Oregonians to be not fond of us Californians. Maybe, it was because I was 65 miles from the border. I will stay in Ca. but, would love to have a home in Ireland.
This is all I have to say IMHO!

Last edited by lily88; 06-26-2010 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-26-2010, 02:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
ok this is coming from someone living in TEXAS(S). Texas has nothing to be jealous of either. You all have huge ego's and think that you all can just seperate from the rest of America. well you can't so give it up and shut up already.
I have a big enough ego to learn to use apostrophes correctly. And spell 'separate.' Not to mention I know how to use capital letters and punctuation where they're actually necessary.

Frankly, I do think we have a lot to be proud of, least of which (apparently) is our educational system that allows us to compose coherent and grammatically correct responses.

Cali has what some people consider to be great weather. And it all ends there. Then you have your ridiculous prices, ridiculous taxes, ridiculously small housing, ridiculous crowds, illegal alien-driven agendas, and I lived there for 4 years without ever actually seeing a beautiful beach. So excuse me if I don't think there's a whole lot to ENVY.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have a big enough ego to learn to use apostrophes correctly. And spell 'separate.' Not to mention I know how to use capital letters and punctuation where they're actually necessary.

Frankly, I do think we have a lot to be proud of, least of which (apparently) is our educational system that allows us to compose coherent and grammatically correct responses.

Cali has what some people consider to be great weather. And it all ends there. Then you have your ridiculous prices, ridiculous taxes, ridiculously small housing, ridiculous crowds, illegal alien-driven agendas, and I lived there for 4 years without ever actually seeing a beautiful beach. So excuse me if I don't think there's a whole lot to ENVY.
But there might be a whole lot of snobbery where you are, if you're any example!

By the way, I was stationed in Texas twice at two different Army forts. Two words: No thanks!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
yep, been to kansas, missouri, oklahoma, and other areas like those places YAWWWNNNN
This is why people hate California. Not because they're jealous, or even because of anything about California itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California