Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times

Advertisements

Desertsun41, great post...I think what Katie must of been talking about is buying into a group membership at just one certain campground where you really dont own a certain deeded lot but the membership deed allows you access to a private campground not open to nightly stays by the general public (so its a members only campground)....But every time you visit the campground you may be placed on a different lot.....many of those types of memberships do have a 140 night max stay per year......Many follow the rules of you are allowed to stay the max of 14 nights a month and many of these campground are only open 10 months out of the year.........Some of these memberships also tie into National groups like Coast to Coast to give the owner more camping options......these type of private campgrounds/memberships are very popular east of the Mississippi mainly in the mid-Atlantic states

Last edited by rtandc; 02-04-2010 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 04:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Default Full time RVers renewing registration?

My wife and I are looking at going on the road full time in another 10 years or so. We got to thinking (which as we all know can be dangerous)--

What do you use as an address?

We would sell the house and therefore not have a legal residence.

As for licensing, our trailer has a permanent plate, but our driver license and tow vehicle registration would expire (eventually) and have to be renewed.

I had heard a few years ago that you could register an RV in some states like Montana simply by having a PO Box?

Is this still the case?

What are other full timers doing?

Using addresses of friends or family and renewing by mail or driving back to the state of registration?

What about vehicle inspections?

THANKS..

Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My wife and I are looking at going on the road full time in another 10 years or so. We got to thinking (which as we all know can be dangerous)--

What do you use as an address?

We would sell the house and therefore not have a legal residence.

As for licensing, our trailer has a permanent plate, but our driver license and tow vehicle registration would expire (eventually) and have to be renewed.

I had heard a few years ago that you could register an RV in some states like Montana simply by having a PO Box?

Is this still the case?

What are other full timers doing?

Using addresses of friends or family and renewing by mail or driving back to the state of registration?

What about vehicle inspections?

THANKS..

10 years is a long ways off when it comes to the laws as they can change many times over that period of time.....Right now SD and Texas are the most friendly RV states that you can pick as your domicile....

Check out the Escapees web site, it is the best one when trying to find answers to your questions regarding full timing as far as medical, voting, wills, mail, taxes etc..

Old 02-12-2010, 07:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
You may have heard Montana mentioned because some guys were establishing corporations in Montana for the sole purpose of buying and licensing their big motorhomes. Montana has no sales tax and apparently some cheap corporation licensing, so it was a "good" way to avoid some state taxes. Unfortunately it was also illegal as far as some state tax department were concerned. I remember one of the Denver TV stations airing an extended news story about their residents doing it. I'm thinking the state tax dept. was going after them.

I was also thinking that South Dakota, Texas and Florida were the favorite states in which to establish residency for full-timers. And I second the motion to check out Escapees. There are some very helpful people on that board who seem to know the score.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
I live in a RV full time...but I figure why wait till I retire...
I save a ton of money by not shelling out $700-$800 or more, a month to live in an apartment or house....
I'm single, no kids, so it made or makes sense for me....as far as hanging with the Joneses (common saying) the heck with the Joneses...I do whats best for me economically...

I haven't been brainwashed to believe I need a $250,000 home...I have better things to do with my time and life than to spend my whole life being held hostage to a morgage...no thanks...

Living in a RV and not paying any rent, helps me weather out bad times like these...
But there are cons to it too...there's a negitave side...but for me, the good outweighs the negitave...

Old 03-08-2010, 12:31 AM

384 posts, read 990,455 times
Time & space ... I like your idea ... but I don't think it would work so well in a cold location.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:13 AM

There are all types of fulltimers out here, some do it because they have found a cheaper way to live day to day but many fulltimers spend just as much if not more to full time as they did when they lived in a stick and brick home. Many spend this money because it is a lifestyle they enjoy living not because they can save a few bucks every month.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
It would be so much easier to clean!!!

Sorry, I just hate house work and love RV's.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
http://house4sale2.com/images/Motorhome%20for%20sale/motorhome%20inside%20slide%20out%20(8).JPG (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Time & space ... I like your idea ... but I don't think it would work so well in a cold location.
Ahh...wouldn't this be nice?
Obviously this is a newer model...with slide outs...but I'm just saying...think if you had something like this paid off...or payments at around $200.00 a month....you could take it to the beach, the mountains, the desert....

If I ever won the lottery I'd chill in one of these...and just lazely tour the country...

Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM

9 posts, read 71,307 times
Time and Space,
now thats what I'm talking about!!...thats the way I want to live. downsize to an RV. I found a
park that is at a marina and it is quite lovely, secluded, lots of trees and more than just a little stip
of space. I want to eventually own my own land, but the rent at this lovely place is 380. month..
Isn't that kinda high?...this is full time living, if desired. I haven't checked out RV rental spaces, but
I think they are a lot cheaper than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing