Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:39 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I get what you're saying, and I agree where Québec is concerned.

But it's different in Southern Ontario (and maybe other parts of Canada. Idk) than in Québec. Those friends of your children who are themselves children of immigrants, many non francophone, are, I'm guessing based on my time in Montréal, proud to call themselves "francophone" or "French."
I wouldn't say they consider themselves French. Even francophone isn't that big of an identity marker. If anything the strongest of the bunch is Québécois, with the fact that you speak French (either as a first or at least public/social language) implicitly part of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Their parents don't deride or disrespect Quebecois French culture or its roots in European French culture, they don't teach their children to do the same, and they don't routinely accuse (with the help of the media) Quebecois with full "New France blood," as you say, of being "racist." .
I suspect some of them do do this, and this is likely part of the influence of Anglo-America seeping into Quebec.

But any attempts of this nature seem to garner very little traction in Quebec, and a pretty big "talk to the hand" pushback.

(At least for now.)

Old 08-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
It's not the same where Anglo culture is concerned in Southern Ontario. Basically, if you're an Anglo in Southern Ontario -- and especially if you're, God forbid, a WASP () -- the subtle but steady underlying message is that you come from racist, unacceptable stock whose entire legacy should be squashed. WASP culture, the narrative goes, is the root of all evil.

That is, of course, until a member of the British Royal Family comes to visit. Then Canada's British roots are celebrated. Or, at a funeral of a slain police officer or public official, where they'll proudly play bagpipes, in which case, Scottish/Irish culture suddenly isn't quite so evil, I suppose.

It's either a case of major cherry picking, or cultural appropriation. Because if there's "white guilt" in the US, then Canada, especially Ontario, is full of Anglo shame and vilification.
This sounds a lot like the importation of American narratives into Canadian society.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:

So, yes, I'm sensitive to non Anglos being referred to as "Anglo," and I'm guessing many non Anglos object to it, as well.
Most of the people who live in Canada who aren't of British Isles origins but live their lives in English probably simply consider themselves "Canadians" full stop.

(Even though what they really have in mind when they say "Canadians" is "publicly English-speaking Canadians of various origins".)

Old 08-05-2020, 10:06 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This sounds a lot like the importation of American narratives into Canadian society.
If you mean that *I* am imposing American narratives into Canadian society, then no. I felt this way long before I ever moved to the US.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
If you mean that *I* am imposing American narratives into Canadian society, then no. I felt this way long before I ever moved to the US.
Oh no, it wasn't you I was referring to. Canadian society does this systematically. It's a lot bigger than the both of us.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:49 AM

565 posts, read 672,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most of the people who live in Canada who aren't of British Isles origins but live their lives in English probably simply consider themselves "Canadians" full stop.

(Even though what they really have in mind when they say "Canadians" is "publicly English-speaking Canadians of various origins".)
That's pretty much what French-speakers have in mind when they use "Anglo".

Old 08-05-2020, 01:14 PM

542 posts, read 503,204 times
Quote:
Thank you.

What I wanted to hear from you, since you said you'd grown up outside Québec, was how you'd become a strong proponent of Québec separatism. But you explained enough. I understand better.
I am not a separatist.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:21 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I am not a separatist.
Oh. I've misunderstood. My bad.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:59 PM

47 posts, read 32,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
Long story short the French handed over one of their classic lists of demands to the Canadian government that were impossible to meet. They hoped to extort more from the government and instead were told enough is enough. So they decided to take their ball and go home.
Haha you sound like my dad talking about Quebec! I was reading about this on Wikipedia but it seemed complicated and admittedly over my head. What was Quebec's list of demands? I can't find them online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada