Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 07:18 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirehose View Post
Haha you sound like my dad talking about Quebec! I was reading about this on Wikipedia but it seemed complicated and admittedly over my head. What was Quebec's list of demands? I can't find them online.
In June 1985, Quebec Premier Robert Bourassa laid down the five basic constitutional demands that would need to be met in order for Quebec to sign the Constitution Act, 1982:

- constitutional recognition of Quebec as a distinct society;
- a Constitutional veto for Quebec over constitutional change;
- a role for Quebec in the appointment of judges to the Supreme Court of Canada;
- a constitutional guarantee of increased powers in the field of immigration; and,
- a limitation of the federal spending power.

https://www.mapleleafweb.com/feature...story-overview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 01:08 PM

120 posts, read 71,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
That's pretty much what French-speakers have in mind when they use "Anglo".
The Anglo term shows us the Mod cut.-worldview..Us vs. everyone else. They should try learning more about the multicultural blanket of cultures they are lumping together as one.

Quote:
Haha you sound like my dad talking about Quebec! I was reading about this on Wikipedia but it seemed complicated and admittedly over my head. What was Quebec's list of demands? I can't find them online.
Your dad sounds like a guy who gets it!

Quebec's list of demands were partially posted by Acajack but keep in mind they were all presented in an extortionist manner and are all stepping stones to giving Quebec special power over the federal government. That includes power over the lives of everyone outside of Quebec. That is why everyone rejected them. It was a power play by Quebec's ethno-nationalists to control all of Canada for their own interests.

Just think of how things are now in Quebec:

- language police (fines/jailtime for speaking/writing in English)
- policies to keep out undesirables (muslims, jews, etc)
- forced schooling (your children go to school in French, no other option)
- denial of health services for English-sepakers (they can kick you out of hospitals for speaking English)

Quebec is still playing the extortion long game. This is why they still haven't approved of the Canadian constitution of 1982.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-06-2020 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:53 PM

Beware the advice of the bitter man, is all I have to say.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:20 PM

81 posts, read 101,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
The Anglo term shows us the pepper-worldview..Us vs. everyone else. They should try learning more about the multicultural blanket of cultures they are lumping together as one.

Quebec's list of demands were partially posted by Acajack but keep in mind they were all presented in an extortionist manner and are all stepping stones to giving Quebec special power over the federal government. That includes power over the lives of everyone outside of Quebec. That is why everyone rejected them. It was a power play by Quebec's ethno-nationalists to control all of Canada for their own interests.

- denial of health services for English-sepakers (they can kick you out of hospitals for speaking English)

Quebec is still playing the extortion long game. This is why they still haven't approved of the Canadian constitution of 1982.
Good grief...pretty much everything you listed here is either an exaggeration or completely invented.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:43 PM

225 posts, read 152,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
The Anglo term shows us the pepper-worldview..Us vs. everyone else. They should try learning more about the multicultural blanket of cultures they are lumping together as one.

Language police: barely exist and only for businesses
Policies keeping out undesirables: More like Canada limiting the French speakers to Quebec
Forced Schooling: You can go to private funded schools
Denial of Health Services: This is false, a Sun news article

We haven't signed the Canadian constitution yet because it might be the best idea to advance towards independence.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:15 PM

47 posts, read 32,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In June 1985, Quebec Premier Robert Bourassa laid down the five basic constitutional demands that would need to be met in order for Quebec to sign the Constitution Act, 1982:

- a role for Quebec in the appointment of judges to the Supreme Court of Canada;
- a constitutional guarantee of increased powers in the field of immigration; and,

Great thank you Acajack! If I am up to date I think some of these are in effect, currently.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:13 PM

143 posts, read 133,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
Good grief...pretty much everything you listed here is either an exaggeration or completely invented.
Exactly. Pure load of BS.

My significant other is Anglo (so is her entire family), it's actually crazy (to the point of even being annoying) how accommodating the health system / hospitals, government services, etc. are. She can speak decent French but usually doesn't even need to. Which isn't exactly normal, IMO. :P

Old 08-06-2020, 10:52 PM

120 posts, read 71,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Exactly. Pure load of BS.

My significant other is Anglo (so is her entire family), it's actually crazy (to the point of even being annoying) how accommodating the health system / hospitals, government services, etc. are. She can speak decent French but usually doesn't even need to. Which isn't exactly normal, IMO. :P
Why would it annoy you when the health services in Quebec can speak English?

Old 08-07-2020, 12:06 AM

71 posts, read 48,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

There is more to accomplish. Can this be done without declaring full independence from the English creation of a dominion called Canada?

I would argue that the best way to advance is to aim for the target.

Full independence is the final goal. Nothing can substitute this. We are moving 50% when we can move 100%. Finish the lies and broken promises. Do you want to be like Scotland and Ireland? We could change this.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Great thank you Acajack! If I am up to date I think some of these are in effect, currently.
More or less. Actually, less than more. It is worth mentioning that in order to make Meech palatable to the other 9 provinces, the amendments that addressed Quebec's demands were extended to all of the provinces as new powers as well. With the exception of distinct society.

Ultimately, it was the distinct society clause that led to Meech's downfall, and all sorts of hysterical apocalyptic scenarios were raised about how Quebec could use it, from concentration camps for anglos, booting anglos out of the province, to the government forcing women in the province (à la Handmaid's Tale) to have more babies to preserve the distinct society.

On this last point, the National Action Committee on the Status of Women (NACSW), a cross-Canada group, actually came out against Meech and, with a straight face, cited this "baby machine" bogeyman as the reason.

Quebec women's groups, some of which were affiliated with or part of the NACSW, basically laughed in their faces, and said to their counterparts from Anglo-Canada: "Thanks girls, but... we're good. And BTW, MYOFB."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada