Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 AM

225 posts, read 152,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Anglo Canadians have their rights too.

I would settle for a more reasonable approach.

- Devolution of Canadian government giving Quebec autonomous power over it's own fate

- Dissolution of monarchy, or ability for Quebec to disregard monarchy, like taking the Queen off the money

- powers to give complete protection to French language in Quebec, New Brunswick, and northern Ontario

- Quebec has own seat at UN and own Olympics team separate from Canada

- 50/50 split between Quebec and Canada in diplomatic affairs

- more autonomy for French language units in the military

- ability for Quebec to skip military ventures like Afghanistan
That is the definitive list, that's for sure. I actually worked with a guy who is campaigning for true bilingualism of Canada. I guess anything is possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 11:30 AM

542 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I would absolutely never expect this persona put before me to ever admit any kinship with the rest of Canada. Who you identify with however, in terms of the nation or group of people you belong to is of course, entirely up to you.
Kinship, no. I feel like we are neighbours, not family.

Quote:
Who you identify with however, in terms of the nation or group of people you belong to is of course, entirely up to you.
That's correct.

Quote:
Is it enough, yes it would be for the rest of Canada and probably the majority of Quebecers who never seem to dismiss the value of Canada.
We take the value of Canada very seriously. Are there more valuable countries? Of course, lots of them. But Canada is the only one who makes herself readily available to us.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
That is the definitive list, that's for sure. I actually worked with a guy who is campaigning for true bilingualism of Canada. I guess anything is possible!
That would be impressive, a bilingual Canada.

Sadly though the ROC would never engage in something that requires culture.

We would re-annex the Maritimes and revert it back to Acadia before that happens.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
We take the value of Canada very seriously. Are there more valuable countries? Of course, lots of them. But Canada is the only one who makes herself readily available to us.
Readily available for what?

Old 08-30-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Readily available for what?
Please, fusion2, use your imagination.

You make it clear that you are going to support me regardless, right?

So it would be foolish not to use you as a readily available resource.

If a guy walks up to me and hands me $100 and offers to shine my shoes, I'm not going to say "no".

Old 09-03-2019, 01:16 PM

225 posts, read 152,733 times
Quote:
Please, fusion2, use your imagination.

You make it clear that you are going to support me regardless, right?

So it would be foolish not to use you as a readily available resource.

If a guy walks up to me and hands me $100 and offers to shine my shoes, I'm not going to say "no".
I don't think of Quebec as taking advantage of Canada or even getting benefits from Canada. The equalization payments aren't something that other provinces don't receive. If that is the mindset why don't you just support independence?

Old 09-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
I don't think of Quebec as taking advantage of Canada or even getting benefits from Canada. The equalization payments aren't something that other provinces don't receive. If that is the mindset why don't you just support independence?
Exactly, just be a separatist with that goal! Creating this childish we are just using you until we can fly on our own nonsense is b.s. It lacks authenticity and if anything, just weakens the separatist cause.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Exactly, just be a separatist with that goal! Creating this childish we are just using you until we can fly on our own nonsense is b.s.
Perhaps in the future.

I currently advocate for Canada, only in need of the appropriate reforms.

If certain situations come to pass, I may change my feelings; that is for the future to hold.

Quote:
It lacks authenticity and if anything, just weakens the separatist cause.
Delicious!

Old 09-05-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Perhaps in the future.

I currently advocate for Canada, only in need of the appropriate reforms.

If certain situations come to pass, I may change my feelings; that is for the future to hold.
If I were a Quebecer, I think i'd be one or the other. Tbh I don't even know what i'd be. It is very possible I would actually be a separatist because If I felt that strongly about my language and nation and its long term preservation, I would feel that the only way for the nation to have control of its destiny is to go it alone. Reforms would be a lot easier. Why have a watermelon when I can have a fruit platter while watching Quebec lose to Canada at the Olympics.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:59 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
If I were a Quebecer, I think i'd be one or the other. Tbh I don't even know what i'd be. It is very possible I would actually be a separatist because If I felt that strongly about my language and nation and its long term preservation, I would feel that the only way for the nation to have control of its destiny is to go it alone. Reforms would be a lot easier. Why have a watermelon when I can have a fruit platter while watching Quebec lose to Canada at the Olympics.
We might actually beat Canada in total medals at the *winter* Olympics, though maybe not in hockey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada