Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 03:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not handguns. There are two main classifications in which a Canadian can legally buy a handgun.

The first is " occupation category " which is self explanatory.

The second is " protection of life ". This is a little muddier and is rarely given out.

There are other very strict regulations in regards to shooting ranges, gun shows and transportation of guns.

The gun laws in Canada are VERY different than those in the US. The whole mentality in regards to guns is different in Canada than it is in the US.

The 2nd amendment IS the main reason for these differences. To deny that, is incredibly naive.

What is incredibly naive instead is still to believe that the 2A has anything to do with gun violence and murders....but you know, it is easy and comfortable to cling to your own belief and group think rather than apply logic reasoning (which unfortunately is in very short supply among the anti-gun crowd) You may want to brush up your info and read here:

How to legally buy a gun in Canada

https://www.canadaammo.com/

Yes you can get a handgun in Canada and it is relatively easy....what you cannot get easily is a concealed pistol permit which is the last thing someone has in mind if he/she is intent to commit a murder.

CCW holders do not commit gun crimes....the vast majority (I would say almost the totality) of gun crimes in US are committed from people that cannot legally have access to firearms.

If you sell a firearm to someone not legally entitled to (it does not matter if you are a dealer or a private citizen) you risk serious jail time, the ATF does not mess around with this.

When it comes to explaining gun crime rates between the two countries, the different gun legislation between the US and Canada plays a very little (I would say insignificant) part. Not to mention the open border between the two countries where firearms from the south could flow very easily.

I'm a CCW holder (which is tied to your Driving License) and the Canadian border agent knows it very well when I cross the border..other than the routine question "Do you carry any firearms??" my car never got checked...not once.

Different mentality about guns?? Ever been in Alberta?? It is a way more gun friendly environment than several US big cities.

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-29-2015 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 08:37 PM

27 posts, read 66,881 times
Quote:
In the past five years alone, the population of aboriginal inmates in federal penitentiaries increased by 43 per cent. Today, aboriginal people make up 23 per cent of all inmates in federal institutions despite representing just 4 per cent of Canada’s population.
Quote:
Aboriginal people, who represent 11 per cent of Saskatchewan’s population, have made up as much as 80 per cent of the jail population in recent years.
Quote:
In B.C., aboriginal people represent about 5 per cent of the general population but nearly a quarter of the admissions to the province’s correctional centres.
More jail won

Old 05-29-2015, 08:50 PM

86 posts, read 127,003 times
Three words: Strict gun laws. One is more likely to be murdered with a medieval flail in this country than shot to death.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Historically the USA has been more violent. Canada seems to be populated by people whose mentality is "we can agree to disagree" while the US mentality is to resort to violence. Just look at how each country separated from Great Britain. The USA also has more group vs group conflict that keeps people in a state of fear, Native Americans vs Whites, Whites vs Blacks, Northern Whites vs Southern Whites, Catholic vs Protestant, etc. We're always wetting our shorts awaiting the next big conflict. USA has a persistent gangster culture where significant numbers of male members of disadvantaged people act out with high levels of violence against other people. Used to be family feuds in Appalachia, then Italian mobsters, now Black and Hispanic youths. Gangster culture shuns legitimate ways to a better life (education, hard work) and encourages people to do things that give them no options but making money outside mainstream society. Such culture seems very limited in Canada.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
What Censusdata said ^^^ pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
Three words: Strict gun laws. One is more likely to be murdered with a medieval flail in this country than shot to death.
Nonsense...you can easily get shot in Canada.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:22 PM

86 posts, read 127,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Not really. Most murders that I hear of happening are usually caused by stabbings or from fists and feet. You fail to understand how truly difficult it is to come across a firearm here unless you are admitted to one legally.

The state thoroughly understands who and who not to give firearms to as well and the process of acquiring one is stringent and lengthy. A premeditated murderer has about zero chance of just simply getting one. Unless they like break into someones house with an ax and break open the gun cabinet or something. Cause Canadians are also pretty law abiding when it comes to locking up firearms when they have them.

There could be murderers that are willing to go through the lengthy demanding process of acquiring a firearm legally but I don't see one with enough patience in going through that, fortunately.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:24 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
Quote:
If you're not wearing neon orange in the bloody woods in autumn, maybe.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Yeah, if you shoot yourself. I have never even heard a gun shot here.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Historically the USA has been more violent. Canada seems to be populated by people whose mentality is "we can agree to disagree" while the US mentality is to resort to violence. Just look at how each country separated from Great Britain. The USA also has more group vs group conflict that keeps people in a state of fear, Native Americans vs Whites, Whites vs Blacks, Northern Whites vs Southern Whites, Catholic vs Protestant, etc. We're always wetting our shorts awaiting the next big conflict. USA has a persistent gangster culture where significant numbers of male members of disadvantaged people act out with high levels of violence against other people. Used to be family feuds in Appalachia, then Italian mobsters, now Black and Hispanic youths. Gangster culture shuns legitimate ways to a better life (education, hard work) and encourages people to do things that give them no options but making money outside mainstream society. Such culture seems very limited in Canada.
Sorry but you would have to show me the rates that suggest a dramitic difference in crime rates from each country.. to me it seems both countries are pretty safe.

there is no such thing as a country having a mentality, i live in the US and am a citizen and it is very rare to me to resort to violence... i find your group mentality interesting and confusing. lol.

i am also not in a state of fear.

that gang culture is not really that widespread in the united states.

before you make more strange post like this, keep in mind the population of the usa is over 300 million and each human being is unique in their own way... but i'm sure you already know that and you just made that post to stir up some drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada