Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 04:03 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree. Queens only, though, and parts of it. I've never felt Ozone Park to feel similar to any particular neighborhood of Toronto. The rest of NYC shares no resemblance whatsoever to Toronto. My opinion, of course.
No place is a carbon copy of the other, obviously. Still I think it's interesting you can see the similarities to Toronto in both more urban western Queens and more suburban eastern Queens. Plus Queens is the closest to Toronto in terms of the ethnic mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 04:09 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
Canada is an extension of the US. We shouldn't exist.
The UK figured that after the civil war it was just a matter of time before the USA took over Canada.They created the country of Canada because Parliament figured the USA would respect national boundaries.

So Canada and what other country in the Americas got independence without a war? It's a good trivia question.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:30 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
So Canada and what other country in the Americas got independence without a war? It's a good trivia question.
In the Americas? Most of the British colonies in Caribbean if not all of them that got independence did so without a war--and also Belize and Guyana. I don't think the Central American countries actually fought a war against Spain either, they simply declared independence after Mexico's War of Independence.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
London was ever been as based on heavy industry in the way Hamilton and Windsor are and is much less Catholic/ethnic. It has more of a white collar bent (though it does have some industries as well, but it's never "defined" the place), it grew a little later and feels quite suburban not very far from the core. That's why I went with Columbus.

I've lived in both London AND Columbus, and I agree with you 100%. They feel remarkably similar. Canada has no Detroit, and if it does, London is certainly not it.

Halifax is Boston.

Toronto is Chicago, but inching closer to NYC.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
Another tricky one: how about Kitchener-Waterloo? It's grown signficantly in the postwar years. Kitchener was a small predominantly German city and today is still pretty working class (but it's grown out and it's no longer majority German). The smaller twin Waterloo is a modern, high tech oriented place. And it's surrounded by "Amish country."

Old 09-21-2015, 09:29 PM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
Halifax - Boston, definitely. I grew up in both areas and they definitely have a similar feel. Makes me think of seafood and beer (neither of which I like) and hills near the ocean. Some of the residential streets near downtown have very similar/unique architecture that I haven't seen anywhere else. In Boston you have Cambridge right across the river. In Halifax, there's Dartmouth on the other side, although technically they're not separate cities anymore. Boston is definitely bigger but the difference in city population isn't as big as you might think. Metro area, that's a different story.

Toronto - I think downtown looks similar to Chicago from a distance (big skyscrapers on a lake, generally flat terrain), but in general, more like New York at street level. It is definitely catching up to New York when it comes to skyscrapers and density. There are days when I'm on the 401 and I can see Mississauga in one direction, North York Center, and the downtown Toronto skyline all at the same time, and cranes everywhere, and it just blows my mind. In my opinion Toronto bypassed Chicago a long time ago, but lets leave that discussion to one of the other hundreds of threads debating that topic.

Vancouver - I said Los Angeles simply because it's the big city on the west coast with palm trees. It definitely looks and feels very similar to Seattle, but I'm going to stick with my first choice.

Calgary/Denver: I'm just thinking of a city in the plains near the mountains. I've only been to the airport in Denver and never to Calgary, so my opinion is totally useless.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post

Toronto - I think downtown looks similar to Chicago from a distance (big skyscrapers on a lake, generally flat terrain), but in general, more like New York at street level. It is definitely catching up to New York when it comes to skyscrapers and density. There are days when I'm on the 401 and I can see Mississauga in one direction, North York Center, and the downtown Toronto skyline all at the same time, and cranes everywhere, and it just blows my mind. In my opinion Toronto bypassed Chicago a long time ago, but lets leave that discussion to one of the other hundreds of threads debating that topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwlNPhn64TA

Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
This thread has become a comparison of cities. In my opinion.... Chicago and Toronto get compared because both cities hug a Great Lake with Skyscrapers for living ......and their Downtowns. Aspects of Tree-lined neighborhoods too. American cities have had Racial issues and experienced White flight because of it, in the 60s 70s. Toronto and Canadian cities did not.
Loss of manufacturing yes too.

CHICAGO Metro still has the greater population. As i mentioned in past Toronto vs. threads. Toronto seeing itself as the key city or NYC of Canada. That after surpassing Chicago proper in population. It now is turning its eyes on NYC, and to be more like and in its World status especially ..... Chicago is yesterdays news to Torontonians.....

Comments in this thread proves it. Chicago yesterday... NYC tomorrow......

Old 09-21-2015, 11:45 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
Calgary/Denver: I'm just thinking of a city in the plains near the mountains. I've only been to the airport in Denver and never to Calgary, so my opinion is totally useless.
No, you're pretty correct.

My ex-wife came from Denver, and she loved Calgary--it reminded her of where she grew up. Me, I spent part of my childhood in Calgary, and I loved Denver--it reminded me of Calgary. A full-blown city on the prairie near the mountains--yep, Calgary and Denver are pretty close.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:43 AM

430 posts, read 835,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
This thread has become a comparison of cities. In my opinion.... Chicago and Toronto get compared because both cities hug a Great Lake with Skyscrapers for living ......and their Downtowns. Aspects of Tree-lined neighborhoods too. American cities have had Racial issues and experienced White flight because of it, in the 60s 70s. Toronto and Canadian cities did not.
Loss of manufacturing yes too.

CHICAGO Metro still has the greater population. As i mentioned in past Toronto vs. threads. Toronto seeing itself as the key city or NYC of Canada. That after surpassing Chicago proper in population. It now is turning its eyes on NYC, and to be more like and in its World status especially ..... Chicago is yesterdays news to Torontonians.....

Comments in this thread proves it. Chicago yesterday... NYC tomorrow......
Chicago still has a more impressive and taller skyline, and a larger metro population than Toronto. While I see that Canadians will make a comparison between Toronto and New York because they are both the alpha cities of their nations, we have to bear in mind that Canada is still 1/9th the size of the U.S. and that its alpha city is going to be comparable to America's "second city" for the time being at least in the physical sense.

On the other hand, true "alpha" people of Canada are by and large going to move to Toronto far more often than anywhere else, whereas "alphas" of the U.S. move to New York or the west coast more often than they move to Chicago. So in that way, Toronto is more like Canada's NYC or LA. In state of mind, if not in physical environs, metro population, and appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada