Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:23 PM

430 posts, read 835,447 times

Advertisements

They're all fairly parallel, too. Well except Montreal.

Vancouver is Seattle.
Calgary is Denver.
Toronto is Chicago.
Montreal is... Miami (speaks another language, doesn't really fit in).

Note that these U.S. cities are all in the more liberal parts of the country (save Denver, which is moderate), which is why their Canadian equivalents are also liberal (save Calgary, which is moderate).

And I don't mean the title to be offensive... I like Canada better than the USA, and I think the USA would be better off without the rest of the country (or at least without the Atlantas, Dallases, and Houstons of the world).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 06:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Harsh man........harsh.

The U.S. could be just like Canada, just get rid of 300 million folks and I guarantee it'll be a close proximity of a Canada.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:50 PM

58 posts, read 159,636 times
Canada is an extension of the US. We shouldn't exist.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:18 PM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
Vancouver is Los Angeles
Calgary is Denver
Toronto is New York
Montreal is Chicago

Old 09-18-2015, 10:27 PM

579 posts, read 664,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
They're all fairly parallel, too. Well except Montreal.

Vancouver is Seattle.
Calgary is Denver.
Toronto is Chicago.
Montreal is... Miami (speaks another language, doesn't really fit in).

Note that these U.S. cities are all in the more liberal parts of the country (save Denver, which is moderate), which is why their Canadian equivalents are also liberal (save Calgary, which is moderate).

And I don't mean the title to be offensive... I like Canada better than the USA, and I think the USA would be better off without the rest of the country (or at least without the Atlantas, Dallases, and Houstons of the world).
Calgary, moderate? It's the most conservative of the major Canadian cities all right, but to my eyes Calgary seem to be more conservative than Denver, yet more liberal than major Bible Belt cities.

That said, my personal take on it:

Vancouver is Seattle,
Calgary is Denver,
Toronto is NYC.

As for Montreal, I'm not sure. The only similarities to Chicago I can readily claim is that Montreal and Chicago are both underperforming cities from an economic standpoint and cold weather. But it had to be similar to a northern city. Boston or Philadelphia perhaps... hard to actually compare Montreal to any one American city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
Canada is an extension of the US. We shouldn't exist.
Canada may well be a client state of the US (a satellite state most likely) but an extension? Probably not.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Canada doesn't have four major cities, it either has three or six. Edmonton is almost exactly the same size as Calgary, so calling Calgary a major city but leaving out Edmonton doesn't really make sense. Likewise, the National Capital Region is also very similarly sized, all three metros have populations a bit over a million.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:23 AM

58 posts, read 159,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Canada doesn't have four major cities, it either has three or six. Edmonton is almost exactly the same size as Calgary, so calling Calgary a major city but leaving out Edmonton doesn't really make sense. Likewise, the National Capital Region is also very similarly sized, all three metros have populations a bit over a million.
Canada has 2 major cities, 3 if you stretch your definition.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:36 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Well, I haven't been to Miami, but I just can't see Vancouver as being anything like Seattle, nor Toronto like Chicago, nor Calgary like Denver. And Montreal..., I can't think of a parallel city for it. Same goes for L.A.

To me, every city mentioned thus far has an identity all it's own - on both sides of the border.

Cheers,

Mahrie.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:38 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Two countries carved out of the North American wilderness largely by groups of folks originating from the same sources of immigration and what would one expect to arrive at?

Let's be completely honest and admit that for want of any real defining characteristics, we could swap names and no one's life would be materially impacted beyond the Hudson's Bay company having to change it's headquarter location for tax purposes.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:14 AM

800 posts, read 730,563 times
Toronto is not like nyc. It's more like boston. NYc is much more vibrant and feels 10 times bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada