Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 01:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
And every time it is discussed, some say "I love four distinct seasons" - as if the only alternative of Canada weather is Los Angeles or Jamaica. Hundreds of cities are out there with four distinct seasons yet don't have extremely cold and long winters! Places as south as Washington DC still have four distinct seasons.

Even a city like San Diego has 4 distinct seasons.....snow on the ground is not the absolute minimum required in order to have a winter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:51 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I've been just a bystander in this thread, as I am neither Canadian nor a dweller in a typical four-season climate. However, when a person in any location waxes lyrical about the constant though ever-changing beauty of his climate, you start to think he is protesting a little too much. I don't know anyone in any place on this earth who is happy with their weather 365 days a year.

And, when the comment is along the lines of "When you start to tire of one season, another is right around the corner!" that's tantamount to admitting "Yes, each season sucks in places, but at least it doesn't last forever." If winter was really that great, you wouldn't tire of it after only three months, right?

It comes across in this thread that some people (and I know this attitude is not limited to Canadians, by any means) have a hard time admitting that their climate is not perfect. It's surely true that it's the harsh climate and not some other factor which has made it very difficult for Canadians to live in and utilize much of their large landmass; why deny it? And it's pretty unsympathetic to say, "Well, if you don't like the climate, you can just emigrate to another country." As if that is an easy thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Even a city like San Diego has 4 distinct seasons.....snow on the ground is not the absolute minimum required in order to have a winter....
Thank you. This is true. The changes in the seasons are more subtle here in the southwest, but they are definitely there.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 PM

137 posts, read 177,616 times
I'm not Canadian, but do have a friend who travels there a lot so I'v heard quite a bit about the weather. It can take its toll on some people, but surprisingly there are people who actually enjoy winter. (not me though!) I can imagine it being difficult for a Canadian who wants to be in year-round warmer temps. Moving to a different country takes work and planning. It is odd the US and Canada don't have some sort of citizenship agreement.

I was born in Michigan and lived here most of my life, besides a few years spent in Arizona. My husband and I are finally getting out of Michigan and moving to Florida in 2 weeks. For me, life is just too short to be shoveling snow half the year! I'd rather be taking a walk on the beach in the "winter". Too each their own!

Old 09-22-2015, 02:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If people aren't dying to get away from winter then why do people even travel to places like Cuba and the DR in those all inclusive resorts? I don't have numbers but I'd bet that that industry is worth billions and a large segment of that industry is Canadians.

As far as snowbirds, i don't have exact numbers either but there are 70,000 people who are members of the canadian snowbird association and there are certainly probably many more who spend months at a time who are not members.

Germany and the UK don't have warm climates either but through the Schengen agreement, Germans and Brits can move to the Canary Islands in Spain and don't need a visa to live there unlike a Canadian who does need a visa to immigrate somewhere warm.

I realize a lot of what I'm saying is my opinion and you don't have to agree but judging from what I've seen and heard, a sizable number do agree with me.

Canada should request to be taken back into the status of a colony of the UK. In that way maybe you can get full British passport rights.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Its not hard for humans to venture into other nations to visit a warmer climate, British people went to Spain before Schengen and Canadians go to places like Florida, Mexico and the Caribbean all the time.

So i don't think Canadians really have the short end of the stick.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanGirl815 View Post
I'm not Canadian, but do have a friend who travels there a lot so I'v heard quite a bit about the weather. It can take its toll on some people, but surprisingly there are people who actually enjoy winter. (not me though!) I can imagine it being difficult for a Canadian who wants to be in year-round warmer temps. Moving to a different country takes work and planning. It is odd the US and Canada don't have some sort of citizenship agreement.

I was born in Michigan and lived here most of my life, besides a few years spent in Arizona. My husband and I are finally getting out of Michigan and moving to Florida in 2 weeks. For me, life is just too short to be shoveling snow half the year! I'd rather be taking a walk on the beach in the "winter". Too each their own!

Are you retiring to Florida or moving there for a new job/life? I'm curious cause I tend to think most Americans move to the warmer climes in the US when they hit retirement.

I would like to spend 6 months away from winter, but I really like the Mid-Atlantic region. I spent the day last Saturday in NYC. Very easy to go up there for a day visit from Philly. I would miss that living all year in FL or the South. I'd rather just spend winters there. Nothing like walking out of the airport in Fort Lauderdale in winter and being hit with that warm humid air and flowers everywhere in bloom. I imagine the vast majority of Canada is very brown or snow covered in winter.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:18 PM

137 posts, read 177,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are you retiring to Florida or moving there for a new job/life? I'm curious cause I tend to think most Americans move to the warmer climes in the US when they hit retirement.
We are moving there for my husbands job. We are only in our mid 20s right now Growing up, my family vacationed in FL alot so I grew to love it there & the weather; and when the opportunity arose to move there we jumped on it. I personally like hot-humid weather so FL and AZ in the summer don't bother me at all. I'm just over the winters and want to enjoy warm weather year round.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:

I don't really like winter but i'm not homeless and i can afford warm clothes so it doesn't really bother me that much. I like the variety in climates and i don't think (in my position) moving away from MN to a place in the south would be a good idea.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:43 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
We are moving there for my husbands job. We are only in our mid 20s right now Growing up, my family vacationed in FL alot so I grew to love it there & the weather; and when the opportunity arose to move there we jumped on it. I personally like hot-humid weather so FL and AZ in the summer don't bother me at all. I'm just over the winters and want to enjoy warm weather year round.
I'd love to be in this situation. I have to admit that I'm quite envious

Old 09-22-2015, 02:43 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:

Here you go, said from a native cold weather place person!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada