Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Mexican citizens require a visa to visit Canada for tourism?
Yes 29 60.42%
No 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:12 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

I was reading a news article saying that the federal government is going to remove the visa requirements for Mexican citizens who want to visit Canada for tourism purposes. So do you think the visa requirements should be removed or remain for Mexican citizens for tourism purposes? Please discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
I think it should stay. I think in general if the person is coming from any country with more economic challenges and has an increased risk for staying illegally as a result then the visa requirement should remain. I think making the visa application process more efficent or cheaper would be a better idea then to drop the visa.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:56 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Bring food. I will let you stay.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
A visa isn't going to stop someone from coming. It's done mainly as a political statement. Look at the EU threatening Canada and the USA about visa's. It's sabre rattling.

Mexico is a trading partner and part of NAFTA. A country that we have good relations with. If we don't remove the Visa's, expect Mexico to slap one on us.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:44 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A visa isn't going to stop someone from coming. It's done mainly as a political statement. Look at the EU threatening Canada and the USA about visa's. It's sabre rattling.

Mexico is a trading partner and part of NAFTA. A country that we have good relations with. If we don't remove the Visa's, expect Mexico to slap one on us.
That's sort of my thinking too. They are an important partner with NAFTA and close ally. Mexicans already don't need a visa to enter the EU, Japan, South Korea and New Zealand so why are we forcing Mexicans to have a visa? I imagine that eventually if the visa is not removed that Mexicans will either force us to pay a reciprocity fee or impose a visa outright for Canadians.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:59 PM

I actually disagree in a sense that visa actually do deter some people from coming. If you don't not meet the criteria are at a high risk for staying in the country illegally the visa can be refused. It think as a country we need to better control who we let in. It is true there are people from country's that do not require visas that do still come here as stay her illegially, but in general I think this is less common. For example for many many many years people from countries like Portugal has been doing this.

ex Illegal immigrants told to stay 'underground' - Toronto - CBC News

Being in a country without status is dangerous. People that don't intent on staying and have the means to support themselves while here likely would have visas approved. Like I said I think the visa should still be required, but the process made more simply, faster or we could waive the cost.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:02 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
They need visas to enter US or hey jump over the wall

I think it's a very stupid move to surrender these political visa removals

Old 06-23-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I actually disagree in a sense that visa actually do deter some people from coming. If you don't not meet the criteria are at a high risk for staying in the country illegally the visa can be refused. It think as a country we need to better control who we let in. It is true there are people from country's that do not require visas that do still come here as stay her illegially, but in general I think this is less common. For example for many many many years people from countries like Portugal has been doing this.

ex Illegal immigrants told to stay 'underground' - Toronto - CBC News

Being in a country without status is dangerous. People that don't intent on staying and have the means to support themselves while here likely would have visas approved. Like I said I think the visa should still be required, but the process made more simply, faster or we could waive the cost.
We are talking about tourist visa's. I remember when France did impose a tourist visa requirement on Canada.
In those days, you went to the French Consulate, paid your fee, they pasted, if I remember correctly, the Visa in my passport, and that's it.

It isn't like a work visa etc. You can apply online, pay your 100 dollars and you're done.

I don't know what you mean by being in the country without status. A tourist with a tourist visa has the same status as tourists that don't we don't require visa's for.

Status = tourist/visitor and all the rules that apply to that, which are the SAME for visa holders as they are for non-visa holders.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We are talking about tourist visa's. I remember when France did impose a tourist visa requirement on Canada.

In those days, you went to the French Consulate, paid your fee, they pasted, if I remember correctly, the Visa in my passport, and that's it.

It isn't like a work visa etc. You can apply online, pay your 100 dollars and you're done.

I don't know what you mean by being in the country without status. A tourist with a tourist visa has the same status as tourists that don't we don't require visa's for.

Status = tourist/visitor and all the rules that apply to that, which are the SAME for visa holders as they are for non-visa holders.

Being in the country without a status is referring to people that actually come under the pretence of just being a tourist and say. This is actually a pretty common situation. After events like world youth day just as an example cities like Toronto that many people that came as tourist, not leave and try and stay here illegally or claim refugee status. The visa process is actually not as simple as you are suggesting. When you apply for a visa in many places you do not just get it the same day. They do security checks and you need to provide proof of where you are staying, that you have the means to support yourself while in the country and they screen for your potential risk for try and stay in the country. Some visas are just like a point of entry tax as you get them when you land at the airport. We really dont want to wait until someone gets here to them try and filter out their motives. There is not perfect system, but visa requirements help screen out higher risk situations in advance. Because once people get here our tax dollars foot the bill for their detention and sending back to where they came from.

Also regarding living in a country without status ... once people start living here illegally this places them a huge risk for being mistreated and abused because in most of part of the country once they are caught by immigration Canada they can be detained without clear explaining or understanding of what will happen next. Ex they are technically jailed until our slow system decides what to do with them. They also often become victims of exploitation and abuse out of fear that people will report them to immigration Canada. Often if they report crimes againt them they face high risks of being detained by immigration services. This is a very dangerous position for anyone to end up in and people trying to stay here illegally need to understand the truth behind the consequences of getting caught.

Check out what happens if you get caught. They don't take you on a tour of the city...

http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/

Old 06-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Being in the country without a status is referring to people that actually come under the pretence of just being a tourist and say. This is actually a pretty common situation. After events like world youth day just as an example cities like Toronto that many people that came as tourist, not leave and try and stay here illegally or claim refugee status. The visa process is actually not as simple as you are suggesting. When you apply for a visa in many places you do not just get it the same day. They do security checks and you need to provide proof of where you are staying, that you have the means to support yourself while in the country and they screen for your potential risk for try and stay in the country. Some visas are just like a point of entry tax as you get them when you land at the airport. We really dont want to wait until someone gets here to them try and filter out their motives. There is not perfect system, but visa requirements help screen out higher risk situations in advance. Because once people get here our tax dollars foot the bill for their detention and sending back to where they came from.

Also regarding living in a country without status ... once people start living here illegally this places them a huge risk for being mistreated and abused because in most of part of the country once they are caught by immigration Canada they can be detained without clear explaining or understanding of what will happen next. Ex they are technically jailed until our slow system decides what to do with them. They also often become victims of exploitation and abuse out of fear that people will report them to immigration Canada. Often if they report crimes againt them they face high risks of being detained by immigration services. This is a very dangerous position for anyone to end up in and people trying to stay here illegally need to understand the truth behind the consequences of getting caught.
That is a totally different thing. Anyone who overstays, is without status.

My point is that a tourist with a tourist visa, has the same status as those that don't.

As for process. How much time do you think they look at applications? Most likely they plug in the name and passport information. Read the answers to the questions. The same thing border guards do.

Now as far as people overstaying. A tourist visa holder is just as likely to stay as a non-holder. Visa's don't stop those with illegal motives. All it does is affect tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada