U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2016, 01:08 AM
 
34,390 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Reputation: 29864

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Apparently you and some other Canadians by comments I see in other threads don't realize gun and violent crime is now WAY lower than it was 20 years ago........ If the US was "safe" 10-20 years ago, then what is it now when all crime stats are lower today?
Americas obsession with guns is just a very small part of why i dont frequent the USA that much any more.
Do 100,000 people get shot every year in U.S.? Facebook post says yes | PolitiFact
Its mostly to do with the prevalent obsession with hate, every where you go its hate this hate that its on the radio in the newspapers on the tv.Any conversations struck up invariably get around to your political preferences you will then be judged accordingly.
I just feel more at home and less stress visiting various places in Canada, call it a preferred vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2016, 02:16 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,523 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Reputation: 10927
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Their recriminations over the last Bush presidency are still smarting so I'm confidant a term of Trump will have them indulging in widespread self flagellation.

At this point they've become the guy carrying a heavy box of hand grenades electing to set a few off just to lighten the load.

It's gonna hurt but it'll be cathartic if they survive.

Watch the third party vote this time around as many of the average folks down there are absolutely fed up with offerings of the two traditional parties.

I think at this point in their history they'd elect Reagan's co-star the chimp, and it even had better hair than Trump.
If you want to know the truth most of us Americans are embarrassed. Trump is obviously an idiot and hillary is openly corrupt. Its hard for most of us to believe both of them got so far. Many people will choose the third party but in the end hillary is likely to win. Trump is just too scary. I do think its fair to say our country is in trouble, our society is breaking down and violence everywhere. Its not as simple as our gun laws, as the guns have been here 240 years. We are falling apart at a more fundamental level. I am worried about the future of this country and many others are too. Our political spectacle is just a symptom of the serious problems we seem to have. A major chapter in our history is likely going to unfold in the coming years. Oh and Canadians are always welcome here regardless of what idiot is in the white house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 04:19 AM
 
34,390 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Reputation: 29864
I just need to read the P&OC section to realize something has gone terribly wrong with much of the moral fabric of the USA. Not quite sure what it is but its as if the nation has come down with a collective dementia or a death wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 04:44 AM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,009,760 times
Reputation: 2661
I will still go to the South of France, even though they support Manine Le Pen. I want to take my family to the High Tatras even though Slovakia elected Robert Fico. I would love to visit the Philipines one day, even if Duterte may still be in power. I can't wait to get back to Israel, one of my favourite countries on earth, even though I don't support the current treatment of the Palestinian people. I love all the time I've spent visiting/working/living in the Middle East, especially the Gulf States, even though I in no way support their politics and many laws in place. I had no problem picking up and moving to the UK even though Brexit was a successful vote. Finally I willingly still visited Toronto all those years Rob Ford was elected mayor, despite his flippant use of the N word and derogatory comments towards immigrants and homosexuals.

The more you see out there the more you realize that Trump is hardly some American invention or anomaly. Life is too short, with too much to see to allow politics to get in the way of your experiences.

P.S. Trump will not win the election. Anyone who thinks trump will win does not understand how the electoral map works. He has no real path to victory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Canada
3,912 posts, read 2,730,376 times
Reputation: 5084
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
P.S. Trump will not win the election. Anyone who thinks trump will win does not understand how the electoral map works. He has no real path to victory.
I follow the electoral map on RealPolitics. Last month I would have agreed with you. The map has changed since then with a lot more "toss up" states: RealClearPolitics - 2016 Election Maps - Battle for White House

So yes, I think Trump could possibly win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,904 posts, read 23,187,575 times
Reputation: 5314
no zero effect will travel as I did before elected leaders come ago but good friends and next door neighbors are forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 08:58 AM
 
18,277 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Reputation: 13339
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If you want to know the truth most of us Americans are embarrassed. Trump is obviously an idiot and hillary is openly corrupt. Its hard for most of us to believe both of them got so far. Many people will choose the third party but in the end hillary is likely to win. Trump is just too scary. I do think its fair to say our country is in trouble, our society is breaking down and violence everywhere. Its not as simple as our gun laws, as the guns have been here 240 years. We are falling apart at a more fundamental level. I am worried about the future of this country and many others are too. Our political spectacle is just a symptom of the serious problems we seem to have. A major chapter in our history is likely going to unfold in the coming years. Oh and Canadians are always welcome here regardless of what idiot is in the white house.
Kudos!

Your post is the very impressions conveyed to me by all friends in the U.S. A darn shame it's gotten to this state.

As you say; guns being part of the problem is only a symptom, not the disease.

I hold out hope though, that a general realization will overtake the majority to take affirmative action to stimulate a return of moral and ethical imperatives to the electoral selection process rather than which party can amass the greater wealth for purchasing the presidency.

I worry about your country to the extent that 'as goes the U.S. almost assuredly, so too goes Canada' within a decade or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 08:59 AM
 
18,277 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Reputation: 13339
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
no zero effect will travel as I did before elected leaders come ago but good friends and next door neighbors are forever
Good one!

X2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,953 posts, read 7,325,655 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Americas obsession with guns is just a very small part of why i dont frequent the USA that much any more.
Do 100,000 people get shot every year in U.S.? Facebook post says yes | PolitiFact
Its mostly to do with the prevalent obsession with hate, every where you go its hate this hate that its on the radio in the newspapers on the tv.Any conversations struck up invariably get around to your political preferences you will then be judged accordingly.
I just feel more at home and less stress visiting various places in Canada, call it a preferred vibe.
Nice job totally blowing off the fact crime and murder in the U.S. Has been going down for decades now..... You really must really think a few political rally and argument videos on YouTube is remotely comparable to reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,953 posts, read 7,325,655 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I just need to read the P&OC section to realize something has gone terribly wrong with much of the moral fabric of the USA. Not quite sure what it is but its as if the nation has come down with a collective dementia or a death wish.
Oh please........ Get real if you think a few dozen people on a forum represents 320 million Americans. City data has always had a really right wing bias on that section. It is well known internet forums tend to attract the most extreme and nasty viewpoints no one would dare to say in public where the vast majority of people wouldn't tolerate such comments. Go to media matters if you want to see the left wing side of the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top