Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
There is no economic reason at the moment which makes sense to want to encourage a large population in the environmentally sensitive Canadian north. How many people live in the far north of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia? Very few relative to their populations I'd imagine. Alaska has a very low population even for its standards outside of the southern coastal areas as well.
Murmansk (300,000) and Norilsk (175,000) are actual cities located north of the arctic circle so technically they are in "the Arctic" even if they are subarctic climates and not arctic ones due to a variety of factors. So you can have actual cities in the arctic. That being said, these cities were established with forced labour under a totalitarian state so its not really something we want to replicate in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
What I'm going to say is probably off topic, but yet I have a question : people here are saying that life in the Canadian Arctic and Subarctic regions is unsustainable and has to be heavily subsidized. Then why are NASA and others talking of "colonizing" Mars or other Planets? Life is more unsustainable there than in the Arctic for there is not even a breathable atmosphere! so why are billions of $ throwed at suchh endeavours? isn't it a terrible waste of resources?
This is a very good point and one that is often overlooked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
What I'm going to say is probably off topic, but yet I have a question : people here are saying that life in the Canadian Arctic and Subarctic regions is unsustainable and has to be heavily subsidized. Then why are NASA and others talking of "colonizing" Mars or other Planets? Life is more unsustainable there than in the Arctic for there is not even a breathable atmosphere! so why are billions of $ throwed at suchh endeavours? isn't it a terrible waste of resources?
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, but there is this:

5 undeniable reasons humans should go to Mars - Business Insider

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...colonize_mars/

Old 01-09-2017, 11:13 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
You are right about Mars................you are TOTALLY off-topic.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I have thought this for a long time and there is plenty of evidence to support this. This article pretty much articulates my feelings on the issue. We need to stop pretending we care about the north and the people there and face reality that we don't want to make it a priority and develop the proper infrastructure to improve the lives of people there and increase potential wealth for all Canadians. Here is the article
The North and the great Canadian lie - Macleans.ca

What do you think?
It's sad on many levels and pathetic all around. There is no good reason why Canada can't/shouldn't have SEVERAL 200,000+ cities above 60N.

But there is one upside and that is that it's mostly unspoiled.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
It's sad on many levels and pathetic all around. There is no good reason why Canada can't/shouldn't have SEVERAL 200,000+ cities above 60N.

Months of -30C with wind chill sounds lovely. Maybe people from Vancouver would like to live there. They can learn to drive without salt fiascos.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Months of -30C with wind chill sounds lovely. Maybe people from Vancouver would like to live there. They can learn to drive without salt fiascos.
LOL. I think he would love the challenge of that. Vancouver and the rest of BC is in the midst of the earliest, coldest, iciest winter it's had in 20 years and he's so bored with it he used summer tires to drive to the Rockies a few days ago. Let's send him to the arctic. It would be lovely.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post

You have zero clue. Do you even know how many cities there are in BC that are over 200K?

I'll break the suspense. Four. Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond and Burnaby. Outside the Lower Mainland? Zero.

Sad. Pathetic

Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. I think he would love the challenge of that. Vancouver and the rest of BC is in the midst of the earliest, coldest, iciest winter it's had in 20 years and he's so bored with it he used summer tires to drive to the Rockies a few days ago. Let's send him to the arctic. It would be lovely.

Last week's Vancouver salt spats were a bit of a joke across the country.

I watched a documentary about the integration of new immigrants in one of the Scandinavian countries. All new immigrants are sent to the far North of their country to attend mandatory language and culture / values classes. This isn't a week long excursion, but something that lasts at least several months, maybe a year (don't remember). Children are enrolled in schools in the area, and that is where families are settled. So, although it may be true that the population is higher than expected in northern parts of Scandinavia, it's important to look deeper into who is living in those regions and why.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Last week's Vancouver salt spats were a bit of a joke across the country.

I watched a documentary about the integration of new immigrants in one of the Scandinavian countries. All new immigrants are sent to the far North of their country to attend mandatory language and culture / values classes. This isn't a week long excursion, but something that lasts at least several months, maybe a year (don't remember). Children are enrolled in schools in the area, and that is where families are settled. So, although it may be true that the population is higher than expected in northern parts of Scandinavia, it's important to look deeper into who is living in those regions and why.
Are you suggesting that Canada should follow suit and send all new immigrants north of 60 somewhere for a period of time to "get acclimatized"?

I am afraid unfortunately if we tried, they would all end up like this poor fellow and that wouldnt be good for anyone

http://www.cbc.ca/1.3930146

Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Are you suggesting that Canada should follow suit and send all new immigrants north of 60 somewhere for a period of time to "get acclimatized"?

I am afraid unfortunately if we tried, they would all end up like this poor fellow and that wouldnt be good for anyone

Frostbitten refugee will lose fingers, toe after 7-hour trek to cross U.S.-Canada border - Manitoba - CBC News
Nope. I was addressing an earlier post that included pop. in Northern parts of some Scandinavian countries and represented that Canada should do the same.

This isn't about illegal immigrants entering Canada's southern border and getting stuck in a snow storm.

An interesting point is that Scandinavian countries expect new immigrants to enter an immersion program of exclusively speaking the native language, and learning native culture - like not marrying daughters at a young age. I believe there is an accompanying law that prevents new immigrants from marrying under the age of 21. This allows the girls to get an education, have a life, and make independent decisions before marriage.

Should Canada have an immersion program for new immigrants? That would most likely speed up the integration process - like finding work, speaking English fluently ... so on ... and I'm soooo off topic.

Back to the great white north ... no one should have to live there, and no one but the people who choose to live there should have to pay for that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada