Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 09:21 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times

Advertisements

If this doesn't meet the standard of vexatious litigant, I don't know what does.

The Federal Court has ordered Air Canada to pay $21,000 to an Ottawa couple for repeated violations of their French-language language rights, including seatbelts on which the instruction to "lift" the buckle was marked only in English.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/lynda-michel-thibodeau-french-language-rights-air-canada-1.5265126

As one of "those" anglos, it's things like this that annoy the crap out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 10:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I wrote a bunch of stuff (and deleted it) but I'll just say SHAME ON THEM for being litigious leeches.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:20 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
This is only the latest chapter in a long-running public relations and legal feud between this couple and Air Canada. If you analyse the whole thing based on seat belt buckles that only say LIFT you're missing the point.

And of course... why is it so difficult for Air Canada to have bilingual flight attendants on every single flight either to or from Quebec? They have flight attendants who speak Dutch on every flight to Amsterdam, don't they?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:28 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I thought that only US condone frivolous litigations.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:08 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is only the latest chapter in a long-running public relations and legal feud between this couple and Air Canada. If you analyse the whole thing based on seat belt buckles that only say LIFT you're missing the point.

And of course... why is it so difficult for Air Canada to have bilingual flight attendants on every single flight either to or from Quebec? They have flight attendants who speak Dutch on every flight to Amsterdam, don't they?
I'm not saying it's in a vacuum, I'm just saying that I'm disappointed in the courts for even entertaining it. As to your FA point, I totally agree with you. Since when has Air Canada ever done the right/smart thing though?

Old 08-30-2019, 02:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I thought that only US condone frivolous litigations.
Well, there is a reason this made national news in Canada.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:25 PM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If this doesn't meet the standard of vexatious litigant, I don't know what does.

The Federal Court has ordered Air Canada to pay $21,000 to an Ottawa couple for repeated violations of their French-language language rights, including seatbelts on which the instruction to "lift" the buckle was marked only in English.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/lynda-michel-thibodeau-french-language-rights-air-canada-1.5265126

As one of "those" anglos, it's things like this that annoy the crap out of me.
As one of the "Quebec trolls", they are absolutely right, well within their rights, and I once again applaud M. Thibodeau for standing up for his rights.

If Canadian government boasts about being bilingual and Air Canada is operated by the government, either become bilingual or lose the charade, and Quebec.

Which one will it be?

Old 08-30-2019, 06:41 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
As one of the "Quebec trolls", they are absolutely right, well within their rights, and I once again applaud M. Thibodeau for standing up for his rights.

If Canadian government boasts about being bilingual and Air Canada is operated by the government, either become bilingual or lose the charade, and Quebec.

Which one will it be?
Always with the threats.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:01 PM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Always with the threats.
Don't be dramatic, BruSan.

Can I admit something to you?

You are one of my favorite posters.

In fact, one of the only ones that stand for something.

This is largely due to your usual wit, banter, and unwavering steadfastness in your beliefs.

In the last post you failed deliver neither wit nor banter. Steadfastness was nowhere to be found.

So the result is this:

There were no threats in the aforementioned post.

Characteristically, you may be exhibiting parcels of the renowned Canadian "inferiority complex".

A bit like a small man jumping to defence all too early.

My official statement is that no feelings were intended to be hurt.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:55 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post

Which one will it be?
Not to nitpick but AC became fully privatized 30years ago !

When the gvnmt sold their stake to the public they also enacted a law forcing them to keep their head office in MTL

Feel free to resume your crusade now PB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada