Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2024, 08:15 AM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times

Advertisements

Column by two doctors who disagree with the AMA and CPS

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/opi...der-transition

The general public could be forgiven for concluding that doctors are collectively of one opinion on this issue. But that’s an illusion: the AMA and the CPS do not speak for all of us. There is no medical consensus on transgender medical interventions for minors.

Fact: There is no evidence for increased suicidality in kids with gender dysphoria once one corrects for psychiatric co-morbidities. A just-published Finnish study in BMJ Mental Health, for instance, which studied more than 2,000 gender-dysphoric youth and compared them to 16,000 matched controls, concluded that clinical gender dysphoria is not predictive of suicide.

As for puberty blockers themselves, Dr. Wong et al. simply sweep aside legitimate concerns over the use of these drugs in physiologically normal children. Hormonal suppression of puberty may permanently alter neurodevelopment, sexual function, and bone development.

Moreover, pubertal suppression may alter the course of gender identity development — essentially cementing into place a gender identity that may otherwise have reconciled with biological sex during the natural course of puberty. Over 95 per cent of youth treated with puberty-blocking GnRH analogs go on to receive cross-sex hormones, whereas up to 95 per cent of those managed with psychological support alone desist from their dysphoric state during puberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 08:39 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post

The general public could be forgiven for concluding that doctors are collectively of one opinion on this issue. But that’s an illusion: the AMA and the CPS do not speak for all of us. There is no medical consensus on transgender medical interventions for minors.

Fact: There is no evidence for increased suicidality in kids with gender dysphoria once one corrects for psychiatric co-morbidities. A just-published Finnish study in BMJ Mental Health, for instance, which studied more than 2,000 gender-dysphoric youth and compared them to 16,000 matched controls, concluded that clinical gender dysphoria is not predictive of suicide.

As for puberty blockers themselves, Dr. Wong et al. simply sweep aside legitimate concerns over the use of these drugs in physiologically normal children. Hormonal suppression of puberty may permanently alter neurodevelopment, sexual function, and bone development.

Moreover, pubertal suppression may alter the course of gender identity development — essentially cementing into place a gender identity that may otherwise have reconciled with biological sex during the natural course of puberty. Over 95 per cent of youth treated with puberty-blocking GnRH analogs go on to receive cross-sex hormones, whereas up to 95 per cent of those managed with psychological support alone desist from their dysphoric state during puberty.
Brave guys, when you consider the cancel culture era we're living in.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:35 AM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,098,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Brave guys, when you consider the cancel culture era we're living in.
I’m on the side of free speech. No one should be silenced for discussing these things. Every medication has side effects though including many that have been prescribed to children for generations. I don’t see going against the medical consensus for this much different than anti-vax doctors in the sense that if you have a specific point of view you can find someone who agrees with you. I agree we shouldn’t be frivolous with prescribing these treatments, but I don’t think the solution is enacting bans on them against the wishes of the majority of doctors who specialize in this area of medicine.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:21 AM

1,226 posts, read 502,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I’m on the side of free speech. No one should be silenced for discussing these things. Every medication has side effects though including many that have been prescribed to children for generations. I don’t see going against the medical consensus for this much different than anti-vax doctors in the sense that if you have a specific point of view you can find someone who agrees with you. I agree we shouldn’t be frivolous with prescribing these treatments, but I don’t think the solution is enacting bans on them against the wishes of the majority of doctors who specialize in this area of medicine.

There is no medical consensus on this. LOL I guess you didn't read the article. There have been ZERO studies done on the long term effects of giving kids puberty blockers. Comparing this to antivax doctors is ridiculous. There are no countries saying wait minute, maybe the vaccines are not a good idea. We do how ever see countries putting a pause on giving kids these puberty blockng treatments.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post

Thank you for sharing this. Good article.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:10 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,821,133 times
[quote=Luisito80;66460856]
Quote:

Trans women are biological men. Not everyone will accept a man as a woman and that should be respected. WOmens spaces should be respected.

Note PDW always tries to make this about something else. Sorry PDW It has nothing to do with that. It all comes down to the simple fact men are not women and can never be women.
Can't rep you again, but here's a 'joke' that trans activists tell among themselves..

Transwoman: "What's the difference between a transvestite and a transwoman?"
Transactivist: "About two years."

And, yes, more and more gays are getting more and more pissed at a movement that is nothing more than homophobia and misogyny IN DRAG!

Old 02-27-2024, 12:26 PM

[quote][quote=PamelaIamela;66471051]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post

Can't rep you again, but here's a 'joke' that trans activists tell among themselves..

Transwoman: "What's the difference between a transvestite and a transwoman?"
Transactivist: "About two years."

Exactly lol

Quote:
And, yes, more and more gays are getting more and more pissed at a movement that is nothing more than homophobia and misogyny IN DRAG!

Good to see you back on here pamela.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
If you hate trans people you’re a bigoted disgrace to this country and you don’t deserve to call yourself Canadian as far as I’m concerned. You can have concerns when it comes to medical side effects of treatments for minors and whatnot, fine. But if you don’t want to accept trans people just living their lives sincerely you just suck as a human being. You’re not what this country stands for and go move to Putin’s Russia or somewhere like that if you can’t accept people living their lives and minding their own business. This country doesn’t belong to bigoted far right jerks and never will. If you don’t like it, get out and find some fascist utopia to live in. Not Canada though, this country doesn’t belong to sick, bigoted idologies
I didn't have time to answer this in more depth before. I am unsure if you actually believe the above or were carried away with emotion.

What I want to point out in case this is more than a rant is that in your post linking disagreement about trans people into a "hate" category makes about as much sense as if I accused you of being a sexist pig woman hater because you think trans women are real women.

I don't believe you are a woman-hater - I think you are insulting women and women's equality by claiming there is no difference between the two. I also believe you are doing that in ignorance (not stupidity). And I think you should read up on body dsymorphia. The brain can play all sorts of tricks on itself. I was reading about it before it became a thing because I read all kinds of things.

And yes, it has become a thing as statistics show. Did people like that always exist? Of course. Who said they didn't? And they were living their lives. But it wasn't a thing. It wasn't being normalized. It wasn't mainstream. And it wasn't being used to confuse children.

"Reason before passion" comes to mind.

And over the years I have told a lot of people going through hard times who feel they are unloved and wouldn't be missed, that feelings are not facts. Which is the whole problem with people feeling they are the wrong sex - feelings are not facts. This is not remotely scientific.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:29 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Good post as usual Netwit.

A lot of people these days seem to "believe" things because they want to believe them.

That doesn't make them facts either.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:30 AM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,098,337 times
My comment wasn’t directed at you Netwit, although we disagree on this subject. It was directed at those who speak hateful rhetoric around trans people. There’s unfortunately a lot of people who want to shun trans people from society and that their right to live freely in their gender or choice should be pushed back on. The kind of people who equate transgenderism with pedophilia, calling them “groomers” , etc. you can disagree with the idea that gender and sex are separate and that gender is a spectrum, etc I don’t think that makes someone a bigot, but if someone believed what I listed above, they are a bigot and their values are un-Canadian as far as I’m concerned. It’s no different than homophobia, islamophobia or antisemitism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada