Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2024, 10:22 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On this specific issue at least, around three quarters of Canadians agree with the Alberta Premier.

So who is it that's driving their car off the road into the ditch?
Do you think a balance is possible? Give trans kids and their parents access to the care they want without giving more conservative families the impression they’re getting new age ideologies forced down their throats? The rural/urban and blue/white collar gaps in values is widening in this country for sure. We need to be pragmatic and find a balance rather than trying to have one side “win” so to speak. I don’t think changing the status quo and putting reactionary bans on things is the way to do that, personally. Any more than banning gay marriage or abortion would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 11:15 AM

1,221 posts, read 493,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Do you think a balance is possible? Give trans kids and their parents access to the care they want without giving more conservative families the impression they’re getting new age ideologies forced down their throats? The rural/urban and blue/white collar gaps in values is widening in this country for sure. We need to be pragmatic and find a balance rather than trying to have one side “win” so to speak. I don’t think changing the status quo and putting reactionary bans on things is the way to do that, personally. Any more than banning gay marriage or abortion would be.
This from the guy that said if little girls don't like having biological males in their changing rooms the real girls should find some where else to change.

The only balanced solution is let kids be kids and if they want to alter their bodies, they should wait until they are adults.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:29 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
I'd also disagree that this is truly an urban-rural, blue collar-white-collar issue.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:44 AM
pdw

Quote:
I'd also disagree that this is truly an urban-rural, blue collar-white-collar issue.
I’d add immigrants who came here as adults are more skeptical around gender issues, too. Besides that, I think my point stands. Urban professionals in cities like Toronto and Montreal are at least three quarters the opposite direction than the figure you’re citing, I would guess. Students too.
There’s definitely an age factor too. Most people in their 30s and younger probably don’t care either, unless they’re from like Taber, Alberta or something

Last edited by pdw; 02-23-2024 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-23-2024, 12:34 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
I’d add immigrants who came here as adults are more skeptical around gender issues, too. Besides that, I think my point stands. Urban professionals in cities like Toronto and Montreal are at least three quarters the opposite direction than the figure you’re citing, I would guess. Students too.
There’s definitely an age factor too. Most people in their 30s and younger probably don’t care either, unless they’re from like Taber, Alberta or something
That's not what I'm hearing and I live in a metro area of 1.5 million and my entourage is all white collar professionals.

Certainly the purple hair crowd is concentrated in the cities but even so they aren't even close to making up the majority of the population in a big city.

Where I live most people are Liberal voters and of those who have brought it up none agree with the federal Liberals' position on this.

Sorry to say this but it sounds like you're trying to subtly insinuate that it's only bucktoothed hillbillies that agree with Danielle Smith.

I think you may be in for a surprise.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:41 PM
pdw

All I know is when this started being a huge topic in American politics like 8-9 years ago, no one was talking about it or cared here. All of the sudden we’re talking about legislation bans and stuff like that in mainstream politics. Why is it an issue now? Who is pushing for this so hard l? It really sounds in many ways like the big push is coming as a last attempt from divorced dads with limited custody to impose their worldview on their children through the government.
The pandemic caused a lot of couples to split, maybe there’s the answer

Old 02-23-2024, 01:39 PM

[quote]
Quote:
All I know is when this started being a huge topic in American politics like 8-9 years ago, no one was talking about it or cared here.
PDW is trying to make it seem like things were always the same and then out of no where people started to be influenced by Americans. No sorry thats not how it works. 10 years no one in Canada was talking about proper gender pronouns. No one was getting in trouble for misgendering anyone. No one was getting in trouble at work for saying there are only two genders. We didn't see biological men competing in womens sports. PDW is being dishonest here.

I think what alerted me to something being wrong here is when I read about the rape shelter for women having their funding pulled for not servicing biological men. And also hearing about people losing their jobs or being reprimanded at work for saying things like there are only two gender. Something is serioulsy wrong here and it has nothing to do with american politics. The woke crowd in Canada is just as guilty of copying american ideas as the right.

Quote:
All of the sudden we’re talking about legislation bans and stuff like that in mainstream politics. Why is it an issue now? Who is pushing for this so hard l? It really sounds in many ways like the big push is coming as a last attempt from divorced dads with limited custody to impose their worldview on their children through the government.
The pandemic caused a lot of couples to split, maybe there’s the answer
OMG. Reading comments from people like PDW have also reassured me I am on the right side of this.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The problem is people in an urban setting or white collar people are probably scared to death to be labeld a transphobe or lose their jobs. In private conversations I know a lot of people feel what's going on is wrong. I don't blame people for keeping quite though.

Its not just about the whole trans issue either. We have seen people get bullied by the woke crowd for many reasons.

Quote:
Toronto principal bullied over false charge of racism dies from suicide

If there was anything Richard Bilkszto was born to do, it was to be a principal.

Bilkszto’s career as an educator spanned 24 years, in which time he was an advocate for anti-discrimination and public education. Last Thursday, he took his own life. He was 60 years old.

Article content
His stellar career took on a sour note after he was bullied in a diversity, equity and inclusion training session for Toronto District School Board (TDSB) administrators in 2021, according to a lawsuit Bilkszto filed in court. His sin, in the eyes of facilitators at the KOJO Institute, was his questioning of their claim that Canada was a more racist place than the United States. Canada wasn’t perfect, he said, but it still offers a lot of good. For the rest of the training session, and throughout a follow-up training session the week after, facilitators repeatedly referred to Bilkszto’s comments as examples of white supremacy. The experience was humiliating — particularly because Bilkszto placed a great emphasis on equality and anti-discrimination during his career
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jam...s-from-suicide

Old 02-23-2024, 03:22 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
I found myself outnumbered in a blue collar, rural crowd wrt transgender. I didn't start the conversation or take part in it.

Old 02-23-2024, 04:00 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I found myself outnumbered in a blue collar, rural crowd wrt transgender. I didn't start the conversation or take part in it.
Manitoba is an interesting place politically. Probably the most social-democratic/left wing place economically in North America in the first half of the 20th century. Saskatchewan as well, but that has faded more there than in Manitoba right? I love how it’s the kind of place people will stop their car and give strangers a ride somewhere or help them with car trouble. There’s a sense of hospitality and empathy there that’s missing here in Ontario, maybe it helps people relate more to those struggling with their sense of gender. I’m not implying people on the other side have less empathy, though. That’s not what I mean, just that I can’t imagine people have as much exposure to the trans community in rural Manitoba as urban places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada