Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2024, 10:14 AM

1,221 posts, read 494,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
This young woman from BC who transitioned as a teenager (hormones beginning at 15, double mastectomies at 16) and then regretted her decision when she was around 20 and detransitioned says there was very minimal assessment performed prior to undergoing those procedures.

(it's at 24:00, but you're welcome to watch the whole video)

https://youtu.be/fuLEEPOIwg0?t=1440

Good video. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I keep hearing from coworkers, acquaintances that “the left doesn’t care about working people anymore” as if voting conservative is better. It’s like OK maybe the social policies are bigger priorities for urban university educated voters but how can people abandon all the other principles regarding labour rights, social programs, taxing corporations, etc just because of that? It makes these voters look like contrarian idiots who just go against whatever they think university educated urban people support.
Calling people idiots is not helping anyone. People are hurting right now, prices at the grocery stores have gone up, rent is going up, gas went up, everything is going up. Parents rights are being challenged at school. These are things peple are worrried about. Trudeau has been the prime minister for nearly a decade now. It is time for a change. As far as the NDP goes, they are now ideologically not much different than the liberals, they are pretty much the same. Truduea has gone so far woke, he kind of out did the NDP. Both of them are out of touch with working class people. Also Jagmeet Singh as party leader was a terrible choice.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:59 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,968 times
Pollievre supporters in 2024 https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=kyE70...ature=youtu.be

Our cousins across the Atlantic in the UK have had the Tories for 14 years straight and are experiencing the same inflation, housing, energy cost issues as we are. Voting out Trudeau to put a conspiracy brained dweeb like PP in power to “send a message” is going to accomplish exactly 0 for working Canadians. Social programs are going to be gutted and all those savings will be passed on to big corporations and multi millionaires while your average person’s monthly expenses will stay exactly the same as what they are now. You’d have to be completely delusional to think the Conservative Party is going to help the provinces fix our healthcare system as one example

Last edited by pdw; 02-17-2024 at 11:11 AM..

Old 02-17-2024, 12:06 PM

Health care is managed by the provinces. Even if it wasn't they didn't do very well under Trudeaus watch.

I am not promoting pierre poilevere but other options are terrible. We don't really have good options. To keep the same person in power and getting the same or worse results is also delusional.

Last edited by Luisito80; 02-17-2024 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-17-2024, 06:50 PM

143 posts, read 110,786 times
Meanwhile. . . inbreeding is trending . . .
The Economist Says Copulating-Cousins Cool "In Most Cases"

Old 02-18-2024, 11:53 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Back to the original question.

I care very little if a person makes their own decision to change their sex. However, getting so involved into changing their sex that surgeries and hormone modification are involve is a huge decision and I don't think minor children have enough life experience to make that sort of decision. I do not think they can analyze all the consequences realistically. If they decide to change their sex and they still believe it is the best life course for them when they hit 21, then let them do as they please about it.

If they are adults my only objection is that I don't think the taxpayers should have to pay for it. But, other than that, it's their choice so they should go for it.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:15 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I care very little if a person makes their own decision to change their sex. However, getting so involved into changing their sex that surgeries and hormone modification are involve is a huge decision and I don't think minor children have enough life experience to make that sort of decision. I do not think they can analyze all the consequences realistically. If they decide to change their sex and they still believe it is the best life course for them when they hit 21, then let them do as they please about it.

If they are adults my only objection is that I don't think the taxpayers should have to pay for it. But, other than that, it's their choice so they should go for it.
I’m not sure that I agree with you. Teenagers get breast reductions already for back problems, etc. Minors can have hormonal issues that require hormones to be prescribed for other things as well, like hormone deficiencies. Some kids enter puberty as young as like 7 years old so are prescribed puberty blockers to prevent complications from that. There’s unintended consequences if you ban these treatments. We can’t have legislators tell pediatricians and endocrinologists which medical disorders require which treatments and which ones don’t. That’s their area of expertise as physicians. Gender dysphoria is recognized as a medical disorder and gender affirming care is the treatment for it. I think there’s a lot of misinformation being deliberately spread about this stuff. No one is getting sex reassignment surgery under the age of 18.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:47 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,786,052 times
I disagree with the premiers gender law because it's based on hysteria, particularly with the banning students nicknames at school.

The premier keeps talking about parents rights. What rights are those? The rights for parents bulldoze and clear all obstacles for their kids while simultaneously denying children independence in the name of safety, such as not letting them go to the playground or corner store by themselves for fear they may be kidnapped.

Kids are being raised in a way in which when they're hit with adversity and needing to handle it on their own, crumble because they haven’t had the chance to build the skills to be resilient. Look at how how rates of depression and anxiety have skyrocketed for Generation Z. But I guess that Danielle Smith doesn't realize that.

This making parents feel oppressed and victimized by school administrators and teachers is just going to make parents even more overprotective towards their kids. Not to mention making kids feel that much more fragile thanks to talking as if the boogieman lives at school.

In my neighborhood Blaine Higgs made a similar law but he likely won't last past the next election and when he goes I won't miss him.

Last edited by gordo; 02-18-2024 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-18-2024, 12:48 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I’m not sure that I agree with you. Teenagers get breast reductions already for back problems, etc. Minors can have hormonal issues that require hormones to be prescribed for other things as well, like hormone deficiencies. Some kids enter puberty as young as like 7 years old so are prescribed puberty blockers to prevent complications from that. There’s unintended consequences if you ban these treatments.
A breast reduction is not the same as having them removed all together. Hormone treament for those with deficiencies is also not the same as blocking puberty Puberty is a natural process. People like PDW want to make it seem like the science is answered on these issues. They aren't. Right now the puberty blockers being used for trans kids are the same thing being given to men with prostate inflamation and has also been used in the past to castrate men. There are also many unintended consequences for giving children puberty blockers. This is obvious with the rising amount of detranstioners coming out. PDWs side never ever take them int account

Quote:
We can’t have legislators tell pediatricians and endocrinologists which medical disorders require which treatments and which ones don’t. That’s their area of expertise as physicians. Gender dysphoria is recognized as a medical disorder and gender affirming care is the treatment for it. I think there’s a lot of misinformation being deliberately spread about this stuff. No one is getting sex reassignment surgery under the age of 18.
We had one person on here saying that gender dysphoria is not a disorder. These people cannot make up their minds, they are all over the place on these issues. This is precisely why many European countries have put a pause on giving kids puberty blockers. There are too many unknowns and too many kids now coming forward detransitioning. There is also a steady rise in lawsuits. If anyone is spreading misinformation its the ones saying the science on these matters is settled. It is far from it.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I think most reasonable people feel the same way you do. Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada