Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2024, 08:04 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Good posts on here in the past 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 08:09 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I will add my voice to those who are saying that the left has and continues to abandon the working classes.

In the last elections in France they witnessed the shift from the working classes who traditionally supported left-wing parties, but who now sided with the right-wing Rassemblement National (the party of Le Pen, formerly the Front National).

The RN switched gears a bit and are now mixing progressive left-wing economic policies with their traditional identitarian and nationalist rhetoric, more typical of the right and far right.

I believe that even young people in France shifted to the RN quite a bit as well, something no one would have foreseen.

The left wing parties in France are now mostly supported by affluent bourgeois urbanites from the Gen X and boomer generations. Not labour and the working classes.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to see that the NDP is moving in this direction.

In the last Ontario election the NDP lots a number of their usual seats to the Tories in rusty blue collar regions of the province.

Last edited by Acajack; 02-16-2024 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-16-2024, 10:10 AM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I will add my voice to those who are saying that the left has and continues to abandon the working classes.

In the last elections in France they witnessed the shift from the working classes who traditionally supported left-wing parties, but who now sided with the right-wing Rassemblement National (the party of Le Pen, formerly the Front National).

The RN switched gears a bit and are now mixing progressive left-wing economic policies with their traditional identitarian and nationalist rhetoric, more typical of the right and far right.

I believe that even young people in France shifted to the RN quite a bit as well, something no one would have foreseen.

The left wing parties in France are now mostly supported by affluent bourgeois urbanites from the Gen X and boomer generations. Not labour and the working classes.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to see that the NDP is moving in this direction.

In the last Ontario election the NDP lots a number of their usual seats to the Tories in rusty blue collar regions of the province.
True, those seats were

Stoney Creek
Essex
Windsor Tecumseh
Thunder Bay-Atikokan
Timmins
Kitchener
Brampton North
Brampton East
Brampton Center
York South Weston

Old 02-16-2024, 10:15 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
All this shows to me is most voters are painfully unbothered with actual policies and base their whole opinions on optics and catchy slogans. How can you go from supporting unions, funding social programs via taxes to wanting a government that is anti-union, pro-privatization and wants to gut spending? People really need to put more thought into how they vote.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:19 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
People really need to put more thought into how they vote.
amen however by the time polling day arrives so many are angry and disenfranchised to vote against rather than for - the politics of division being what they are

Old 02-16-2024, 11:02 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
The NDP government is still in its honeymoon period here in Manitoba but so far has shown itself to be a refreshing change from the previous incompetent, aloof and self-serving Palliser/Stefanson PC government. I’m glad to have that buffer should the Federal government turn hard right in the election next year.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:56 AM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
amen however by the time polling day arrives so many are angry and disenfranchised to vote against rather than for - the politics of division being what they are
Yup Nothing wrong with voting against policies you don’t want, but the issue is more around slogans and the way the party leader is perceived as an individual rather than the policies people want. If you want your taxes to be lower, ok. Look into the budget and see where your tax bracket falls and if cuts are planned. Often times they stay more or less than same even with a PC leader. The services working families use get cut and the wealthy and corporations often reap all the benefits of those savings. I’m most concerned with housing and cost of living issues, many Canadians feel the same way. I don’t see how giving more power to the corporations fixing grocery prices, colluding to raise rents and generally using supply chain concerns as an excuse to gouge people is going to make those things better.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:59 PM

Quote:
All this shows to me is most voters are painfully unbothered with actual policies and base their whole opinions on optics and catchy slogans. How can you go from supporting unions, funding social programs via taxes to wanting a government that is anti-union, pro-privatization and wants to gut spending? People really need to put more thought into how they vote.
I'm not sure who you're referring to, but if you're talking about the 2018 vs 2022 Ontario election results, I don't think it's so much NDP voters switching to Doug Ford so much as NDP voters staying home.

Doug Ford got fewer votes in 2022 than in 2018, despite the voting eligible population increasing, but he still gained seats because turnout for his main rival fell even harder.

2022 votes compared to 2018 votes

PC: -17.8%
NDP: -42.4%
Lib: -0.6%
Green: +5.5%

Old 02-17-2024, 12:13 AM

Quote:
These treatments aren’t given out frivolously, they’re prescribed after long, comprehensive tests and monitoring to ensure the child is experiencing gender dysphoria. It’s not easy to access either, with long delays like every other aspect of our healthcare system.
This young woman from BC who transitioned as a teenager (hormones beginning at 15, double mastectomies at 16) and then regretted her decision when she was around 20 and detransitioned says there was very minimal assessment performed prior to undergoing those procedures.

(it's at 24:00, but you're welcome to watch the whole video)

https://youtu.be/fuLEEPOIwg0?t=1440

Old 02-17-2024, 09:31 AM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I'm not sure who you're referring to, but if you're talking about the 2018 vs 2022 Ontario election results, I don't think it's so much NDP voters switching to Doug Ford so much as NDP voters staying home.

Doug Ford got fewer votes in 2022 than in 2018, despite the voting eligible population increasing, but he still gained seats because turnout for his main rival fell even harder.

2022 votes compared to 2018 votes

PC: -17.8%
NDP: -42.4%
Lib: -0.6%
Green: +5.5%
I keep hearing from coworkers, acquaintances that “the left doesn’t care about working people anymore” as if voting conservative is better. It’s like OK maybe the social policies are bigger priorities for urban university educated voters but how can people abandon all the other principles regarding labour rights, social programs, taxing corporations, etc just because of that? It makes these voters look like contrarian idiots who just go against whatever they think university educated urban people support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada