Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2024, 06:37 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Ever watch reruns of Leave It to Beaver, a TV Show circa 1960? The main character was a boy by the name of Theodore. Teachers called him that. Everyone else, including his brother, his friends, his classmates, called him Beaver.
Bingo

Quote:
I very much doubt a child will be thrown into jail or punished in any way for calling a friend or classmate a desired nickname on the playground or away from school. The province would look ridiculous if it tried.
I don't know with the way things are going you never know. Apparently kids doing fun things is becoming unacceptable to people like Danielle Smith.

When I think about the way youths are being raised and how unprepared for adult hood they are by apparently well meaning parents, I cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 06:55 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
You're making this something that it's not. This is not about a kid legally changing his or her name. This is about a kid having a nickname at school and the Government forcing the teacher to tell the parents.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:08 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
I’ve kept my mouth shut on this thread but have been following it for the past couple of days. I think a lot of misconceptions need to be addressed.
Bottom (I.e. genital) surgery happens after the age of 18 and many years of gender affirming care.
Top surgery (I.e. mastectomies/breast augmentation) in the overwhelming majority of cases happens at 16 or older.
Hormones are prescribed at the same age as far as I know. Puberty blockers are prescribed to younger trans preteens/teens, but is typically reversible in the sense that in the overwhelming majority of cases, the person will enter puberty if the medication stops.
Think about the unintended consequences of banning these things. I remember being in high school and a friend getting a breast reduction because she was having horrible pain from how the weight of her breasts affected the curvature of her spine.
Breast cancer can also occur in youth, if you ban masectomy for minors a malignant tumour could spread rapidly and kill someone.
In rare cases hormonal issues can necessitate puberty blockers to prevent a multitude of hormonal and reproductive health risks.
These treatments aren’t given out frivolously, they’re prescribed after long, comprehensive tests and monitoring to ensure the child is experiencing gender dysphoria. It’s not easy to access either, with long delays like every other aspect of our healthcare system.
Let the doctors treat their patients is my opinion. We can all have different opinions and that’s what makes it good to live in a free society, but we have to look to the facts. A lot of conspiracy misinformation is spreading on social media about this stuff

Old 02-07-2024, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Hormones are prescribed at the same age as far as I know. Puberty blockers are prescribed to younger trans preteens/teens, but is typically reversible in the sense that in the overwhelming majority of cases, the person will enter puberty if the medication stops.
Can you provide a source that shows that this is completely 100% reversible and that peple have done so succesfully without any issues? What does that look like when some one is in their 20s?

Quote:
Think about the unintended consequences of banning these things. I remember being in high school and a friend getting a breast reduction because she was having horrible pain from how the weight of her breasts affected the curvature of her spine.
Breast cancer can also occur in youth, if you ban masectomy for minors a malignant tumour could spread rapidly and kill someone.
In rare cases hormonal issues can necessitate puberty blockers to prevent a multitude of hormonal and reproductive health risks.
completely different scenarios.

Quote:
These treatments aren’t given out frivolously, they’re prescribed after long, comprehensive tests and monitoring to ensure the child is experiencing gender dysphoria. It’s not easy to access either, with long delays like every other aspect of our healthcare system.

Actually there is evidence to suggest that is not the case and this is often rushed. We are also lead to believe this is the only solution.

Quote:
[Let the doctors treat their patients is my opinion. We can all have different opinions and that’s what makes it good to live in a free society, but we have to look to the facts. A lot of conspiracy misinformation is spreading on social media about this stuff
You have not provided any facts. The misinformation seems to be coming from your side. That this is a 100% safe and the righ way to go. There are no long term studies on this. If a Doctore to treat a child with puberty blockers should they lose their jobs?

Old 02-07-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Puberty Blockers Were Never Reversible Or Temporary

A recent in-depth report by the New York Times confirmed what many gender critics have long known to be true: puberty blockers and other experimental hormonal treatments are not temporary or reversible, as activists like to claim.

In fact, much of the evidence points to severe developmental damage in gender-confused children who are put on puberty blockers at a young age. One New York adolescent with whom the Times spoke, for example, said she was forced to stop taking blockers after two years because she suffered a severe loss in bone density.
https://www.iwf.org/2022/12/13/puber...-or-temporary/

Old 02-07-2024, 07:56 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Give it 5, 10, 20 years. The blowback on this will be Stage V hurricane. Including, I'm guessing, more than a couple of revenge slayings for manipulating children who then grow up and get very p________d off. This is pure insanity, not to mention psychopathy.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:42 PM

143 posts, read 109,788 times
Give it until Nov 5.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:51 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Reminds me of this Trudeau quote

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article536445/

We’ve still faired pretty well as a country for preventing this kind of garbage leaking here into mainstream political rhetoric, but if this is the sinking ship we’re on, let’s just say I’ll be brushing up on my French. My whole life this country has stood for something, and what we stood for was the complete opposite of this crap.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Give it 5, 10, 20 years. The blowback on this will be Stage V hurricane. Including, I'm guessing, more than a couple of revenge slayings for manipulating children who then grow up and get very p________d off. This is pure insanity, not to mention psychopathy.
If you are referring to giving prepubescent children puberty blockers as pyschopathy, then yes you are correct. As the number of people detransitioning rises, I suspect we will see more and more law suits over this madness.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:32 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
You're making this something that it's not. This is not about a kid legally changing his or her name. This is about a kid having a nickname at school and the Government forcing the teacher to tell the parents. I recall back when I was in school a several students who went by nicknames, I don't recall the teacher telling a parent. Now this fun aged old tradition must be stomped out by do-gooders like so many other fun things to do. "Hey kid looks like you can't play dodgeball or give yourself or others a nickname!"
I don't see things that way. Kids will always give each other nicknames they use on the playground, in the park, and elsewhere outside of school, and there is little adults can do about it. Heck, I went to elementary school with Huck, Bing, Boots, and Cap; who were John, Colin, Jimmy, and Dave, respectively. Nothing wrong with those nicknames, but they had their place, and their place was not in the classroom. Thus, no need for Huck's, Bing's, Boots', or Cap's teachers to get in touch with parents regarding their nicknames.

What do parents and teachers do about a kid who wants to be known by a diminuitive of their legal name that is on their birth certificate or on the school register? Can Robert be known as Bob? Can James be known as Jim (or, as in my old friend's case, as Jimmy)? Can Deborah be known as Deb or Debbie; can Katherine be known as Kathy or Kate? Especially when parents have likely been calling their child Bob, Jimmy, Kate, and Debbie since birth? A strict adherence can present some--shall we say--interesting challenges:

"Umm, Mr. Smith, I hate to tell you this, but Katherine has decided that she wants to be known as Kate at school."

"Ms. Jones, we call her Kate at home. Just call her Kate, okay?"

"Mr. Smith, the government says we have to call her Katherine."

"No, you don't. Call her Kate; that's her name."

And so on. That's how ridiculous this whole thing sounds, if taken to extremes.

I agree that Robert wanting to be called Suzanne, or Katherine wanting to be called Edward presents problems, especially when those are accompanied by insistence on pronouns. But I think that we ought to inject a little common sense into the discussion. If James (on his birth certificate) has been called Jimmy by his parents and siblings, and both Jimmy and Boots by his childhood friends, then must teachers insist that he be called James from here on in? Is that what this proposal demands? Can't he be called Jimmy, as he always has been, and which is a perfectly acceptable ordinary name? No teacher would call a student Boots, but I'm sure that they wouldn't balk at Jimmy, nor see any need to call the parents about Jimmy's choice to be Jimmy.

I'll look forward to reading the proposed statute. I'll be in a better position to comment then. After all, press conferences and opinion and commentary don't mean anything until the rubber meets the road--which in this case is the bill to be debated in the Legislature.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 02-08-2024 at 02:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada