Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,542,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post

You implied that the US role in liberating Holland must have been more significant than Canada's.
No, I didn't. That's you reading into things. I said, "My experience was that the Dutch felt considerable, if not greater, thanks towards the U.S. efforts to liberate Holland." I should've been more specific to the people of Nijmegen. My bad.

Quote:
Fact is, Canada's role was huge... the US had a more peripheral role.
Canada's role was huge, but Operation Market Garden was hardly peripheral. It was a key event in the liberation of Holland.

Quote:
So now that you know all this, do you yearn to wear a Canadian flag?
Nope, never have.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 PM

112 posts, read 522,324 times
I seriously do not understand why any American would wear the flag of any other country while in another country. In fact, I don't get why people wear a flag of ANY country while traveling. What's the point?? You're Canadian, I'm American and the people in the country I'm visiting are of another nationality. They're only borders drawn on a map. You can't judge a person by their nation of origin, so any flag waving or posing as a resident of another country seems preposterous to me.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 PM

43 posts, read 87,231 times
^^ You need to read through the thread from the beginning... Some idiots will abuse Americans just because they have an issue with US foreign policy.... and that isn't fair. Consequently, some Americans pose as Canadians overseas... so I can understand.

I don't mind having Americans hide behind the Canadian flag if it makes their lives better, but they should at least admit that they have done so... and say thanks Canada.... but none of them ever do.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,917 times
Quote:
I don't mind having Americans hide behind the Canadian flag if it makes their lives better, but they should at least admit that they have done so... and say thanks Canada.... but none of them ever do.
Say thanks Canada? You're funny.

I still think it's naive to imply there are many, if any, Americans who do this. I think, the majority of those tourists are Canadians.

By the way, I'm in Vancouver right now and have been for the last month. It's incredible to see how many people wear "I'm Canadian", "Canada", Canadian flags and other Canadian logos on their T-shirts, sweatshirts, caps and so on. Wow! Very impressive. This phenomenon is not only when Canadians travel ouside of the country. They do it at home, too. I'm not saying it's good or bad. But seeing how many Canadians do it at home, makes me believe that the majority of those tourists are Canadians indeed.

And don't tell me all those people wearing Canadian logos in Vancouver are Americans.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-07-2010 at 02:27 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Say thanks Canada? You're funny.
Yes, and I would also like to suggest that Americans make a little donation to Revenue Canada for using our trademark without authorization, since GWB forgot to do that on this last visit to Canada.

Obviously, lots of Americans have posed as Canadians in Europe, and wishing it weren't true can't change that. They were worried that they would get picked on, or maybe they didn't want to tip so much.

At any rate, you Americans sure know which is the best nationality to pose under.... the one that occupies the moral high ground in world affairs. Like those US embassy personal during the Iranian revolution.

Next time you see a Canadian (check his passport to verify that he's real), walk up and say "thanks". When you tell him that you are an American, he will understand why you thanked him.

Last edited by Waterlooson; 06-07-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 03:25 PM

793 posts, read 1,454,176 times
Quote:
At any rate, you Americans sure know which is the best nationality to pose under.... the one that occupies the moral high ground in world affairs. Like those US embassy personal during the Iranian revolution..
LOL, moral high ground?

I think you should pick this book up next time you are at the store.
Oh Canada | rabble.ca
http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/content/view/65452/26/ (broken link)

Please tell me you were joking above.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,917 times
Quote:
Yes, and I would also like to suggest that Americans make a little donation to Revenue Canada for using our trademark without authorization, since GWB forgot to do that on this last visit to Canada.

Obviously, lots of Americans have posed as Canadians in Europe, and wishing it weren't true can't change that. They were worried that they would get picked on, or maybe they didn't want to tip so much.

At any rate, you Americans sure know which is the best nationality to pose under.... the one that occupies the moral high ground in world affairs. Like those US embassy personal during the Iranian revolution.

Next time you see a Canadian (check his passport to verify that he's real), walk up and say "thanks". When you tell him that you are an American, he will understand why you thanked him.
I didn't want to offend anyone with my previous post. If you re-read it, I'm sure you'll agree. You just want an argument. Don't you have enough yet?

Like I said, you're funny. Whatever you say.

All in all, I'd say this thread is not going anywhere. But you guys knew it from the title of this thread and from the the very first post, right? I'll not participate in personal attacks here.

However, because I absolutely enjoy Vancouver and my time here, I'll say thanks Canada! I think Canada is a great country and say nothing is wrong with all those Canadians who wear Canadian logos here in Vancouver or when they travel anywhere else. If you are proud about your country, why not?

It also looks like many of those people who wear "Canadian" T-shirts here in Vancouver are immigrants. And I think this is a good sign because that means they like their new home country. Maybe, Waterlooson, many of them are Americans who immigrated to Vancouver? I think, so many immigrants wearing Canadian flags in Canada is a complement to Canada. Of course, if they only produce T-shirts with Canadian logos and you can't buy anything else, than it's a different story . Relax, just a joke. This whole thread is a joke.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
LOL, moral high ground?

I think you should pick this book up next time you are at the store.
Oh Canada | rabble.ca
Lethbridge Herald - Canada not the peacekeeper many have been led to believe (http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/content/view/65452/26/ - broken link)

Please tell me you were joking above.
You are getting off topic, so I will only comment very briefly... that author has very little (if any credibility). If you had read the review that you provided a link to, it is clear that his research is dubious... and some of the ridiculous claims he is making in the Lethbridge article totally shows what a fool he is.... and for you to use such a dubious source to support your argument, shows absolute desperation.

Comparing Canada's treatment of the Indian peoples with Apartheid in SA, is very stupid indeed... I hoped you might know better.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,542,986 times
Quote:

Americans can only thank Canada for saving them.
Not really. You owe us for foisting crap like Celine Dion, Anne Murray and Nickelback on us.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Not really. You owe us for foisting crap like Celine Dion, Anne Murray and Nickelback on us.
A lot of people don't seem to care for Celine... the funny thing is that she was the biggest act in Las Vegas, along with Cirque du Soleil for years and years.... both Canadian acts BTW... That's an example of Canadian culture taking over the US of A. and has greatly enriched you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada