Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 AM

43 posts, read 87,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
It is alot easier to accept a Canadian because of the limited exposure most Mexicans have with Canadians versus Americans. Please dont use Canadian tourists as an example, the majority of them spend 99% of their time cooped up in the resort. Plus the immigration issue has grown very contentious lately, with alot of blame to go around to both the US and Mexico.
Large numbers of Mexicans here have gone to Vancouver for their training in English... and none that I have met have gone to the US for that... They spent months in Vancouver and have formed opinions from their experiences in Canada.

Quote:
So with all this "reading" you still have to post examples from 2004 to make your point? Did you stop this knowledge gathering 6 years ago? You really should have continued.
.... You say that personal experience is limited, but then you turn around and use your "acquaintances" as an example? Is that not just offering a 2nd hand personal experience?
The election of Obama has changed very little - the honeymoon only lasted 5 minutes. Troops are still in Iraq & Afghanistan. On the immigration front, which matters greatly to Mexicans, things are getting worse. Arizona is clamping down, and that is extremely unpopular in Mexico... Mexicans were only taken in by Obama's "sizzle" for a short time because they haven't seen anymore "steak" from him than what GWB was offering.

Quote:
I have seen Canadians wearing flags abroad, so have other posters in this thread, so do you take that as gospel as well? Or just pick and chose to side with which sources support your narrow opinion?

Going back to your point on Mexico. You said you have never seen any Americans wearing Canadian flags for "protection". Do you not think that with all the issues of late on both sides of the border (US and Mexico) that Mexico would be the most logical place for an American to conceal their identity? Is a Canadian flag/passport really that much more respected? It sure didnt help Dominic and Nancy Ianiero; Rita Calara, Yoyo Manela, Adam De Prisco and Glifford Glasier. I guess our nationality cant always save us, even Canadians that are supposedly so well loved around the entire globe.
I don't doubt that some Canadians in Europe wear Canadian symbols and I never disputed that fact... the point was, often those "Canadians" are really just Americans posing as Canadians... and that Canadians are far better at detecting the posers than Americans are.

One important difference between this part of Mexico and Europe is that this area is very Americanized so Americans feel more at home here. In some parts of Europe (like Holland for example) Canadians are lionized because of what we did for them in the past.... if you have so much personal experience you should already know that and not need to ask the question. So why not pretend to be Canadian if you are an American in Europe? Whereas, Mexicans owe nothing to Canadians. In the case of Holland, we saved them from certain death from starvation at the hands of their Nazi oppressors... We booted the Nazis right out of the country... we didn't do anything of the sort for Mexico. You ought to know all this.

BTW, I think it's pretty foolish of you to mention cases like the Ianiero's (or any of the others) to support your argument... I don't think the robber who murdered them looked around for Canadian symbols before killing them.

Last edited by Waterlooson; 06-07-2010 at 12:34 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 03:30 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
Large numbers of Mexicans here have gone to Vancouver for their training in English... and none that I have met have gone to the US for that... They spent months in Vancouver and have formed opinions from their experiences in Canada.
There are 95,000 Mexicans living in Canada according to Census Canada, that is 0.25% of the population. If you think that Mexicans that account for more than 13% of the entire population of the US do not come to America for training in English and many other fields, you are clueless.

Quote:
The election of Obama has changed very little - the honeymoon only lasted 5 minutes. Troops are still in Iraq & Afghanistan. On the immigration front, which matters greatly to Mexicans, things are getting worse. Arizona is clamping down, and that is extremely unpopular in Mexico... Mexicans were only taken in by Obama's "sizzle" for a short time because they haven't seen anymore "steak" from him than what GWB was offering.
The Obama election has been met with quite a bit of optimism throughout the world (You mentioned you have never spent time in Europe, check his poll numbers throughout the world). People understand that he inherited 2 wars, and there are quite a few that support the war in Afghanistan (hey if you havent noticed Canada is there too). The Arizona law will be challenged as unconstitutional by the Attorney General Eric Holder, who has been ordered by Obama to challenge the ruling (which has not gone into effect)

I would love to see how Canada would have handled sharing a border with Mexico if the tables were turned. We can only speculate based on immigration policies they have in place now. They would "welcome" them with open arms and then mistreat them once they arrived, like they do with so many others when they do not respect their education and training and force them to live in poverty.

Quote:
don't doubt that some Canadians in Europe wear Canadian symbols and I never disputed that fact... the point was, often those "Canadians" are really just Americans posing as Canadians... and that Canadians are far better at detecting the posers than Americans are.
No argument there.

Quote:
One important difference between this part of Mexico and Europe is that this area is very Americanized so Americans feel more at home here. In some parts of Europe (like Holland for example) Canadians are lionized because of what we did for them in the past.... if you have so much personal experience you should already know that and not need to ask the question. So why not pretend to be Canadian if you are an American in Europe? Whereas, Mexicans owe nothing to Canadians. In the case of Holland, we saved them from certain death from starvation at the hands of their Nazi oppressors... We booted the Nazis right out of the country... we didn't do anything of the sort for Mexico. You ought to know all this.
Oh my lord, drinking the Kanadian Kool Aid arent we sir. Canada has done their share of good throughout the world, for that I give the country full credit. But do you think that the US has not done the same?

Go down to Haiti and ask anyone who was living there during Aristides reign which three countries they hate the most and France will no doubt be first and 2nd and 3rd will rotate back between the US and Canada. Canadian troops are viewed as butchers by many Haitians who had to flee during that period. Trust me I know, my family in Jamaica put up many refugees, because many in Aristides cabinet were tied to the JLP (The political party we have always belonged to)

Also ask someone from certain parts of Afghanistan what they think about Canada? There is a good chance depending on village or town that you will be met with criticism, since it is a well believed fact in the Middle East that Canada has used White Phosphorous in combat there, which is a war crime if you havent noticed.

Finally I did not see Canada denouncing the Israeli attacks on the Turkish floatilla last week either. When I was in Turkey (I just got back last night) the local newspaper Hurriyet mentioned Canada by name with other countries (including the US) as standing by Israel and being in direct opposition to the Arab and Muslim world.

Quote:
BTW, I think it's pretty foolish of you to mention cases like the Ianiero's (or any of the others) to support your argument... I don't think the robber who murdered them looked around for Canadian symbols before killing them.
My point was that it doesn't matter who any of us travels as in other countries, if something bad is going to happen, it will no matter where you are from. My point since the beginning of this thread was for everyone to blend in wherever they are and not publicize a nationality that you are or are posing as. Good things happen to bad people when traveling and at the same time bad things happen to good ones as well.

Now do not think for one second that this is a Pro-US post. My point is that both countries have TONS of blood on their hands overseas, and even though the US being the current "world power" (all empires inherit enemies) get the lion share of the blame, Canada's reputation abroad is hardly as spotless as you would like to believe. Maybe you should change your sources of information and examine your own country as well.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:12 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
. . . I dont have a dog in this race, remember I am a Dual Citizen and consider myself Jamaican before anything else. So I can just speak on what I personally observe and do so unbiasedly.

Yeah, you never seem to have a dog in the race when it comes to Canada - the Canadian forum regulars have noticed that

And now you have FOUR passports do you? Passports require citizenship, not merely landed immigrant status, and therefore you are or have been the citizen of FOUR countries!

Four passports. Not just one (which most people find adequate), or two like the occasional dual citizen, but FOUR! Like a bonafide CSIS or CIA agent! Wowser!

And even though you travel extensively, when travelling on your American passport you NEVER get hassled by immigration ANYWHERE! Are you sure you're visible Batman? Or are you just a slippin' through the walls . . . .

Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
... Please dont use Canadian tourists as an example, the majority of them spend 99% of their time cooped up in the resort...
And you've met and talked to the "99% of Canadians" at Mexican resorts and know this? I think you've missed a few - most of the people I know (as in personally, not pretend statistics) that have gone to Mexico go into the towns, on excursions, ziplining in the jungle and haggling in the markets for silver jewellry.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:36 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
The only way you could tell that I'm not American, is the use of Canadian terms, which I know and would avoid using... you can't tell by my accent... Americans think my accent is "northern", like from Minnesota.
Pretty presumptious of you. True, many Americans might assume you're from Minnesota. That's because most Americans don't give Canada any thought. But for those of us who grew up within an hour or so of the border, you're very detectable, and especially for me now as so many of my co-workers are Canadian.

Last edited by grmasterb; 06-07-2010 at 06:28 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Yeah, you never seem to have a dog in the race when it comes to Canada - the Canadian forum regulars have noticed that

And now you have FOUR passports do you? Passports require citizenship, not merely landed immigrant status, and therefore you are or have been the citizen of FOUR countries!

Four passports. Not just one (which most people find adequate), or two like the occasional dual citizen, but FOUR! Like a bonafide CSIS or CIA agent! Wowser!

And even though you travel extensively, when travelling on your American passport you NEVER get hassled by immigration ANYWHERE! Are you sure you're visible Batman? Or are you just a slippin' through the walls . . . .
Jamaica (where I was born) gained Independence in 1962, before that it was the United Kingdom. All Jamaicans born before then were born with British citizenship which my parents were both born with and applied for us when we were children. So my place of birth (jamaica-you always have citizenship), Great Britain (from childhood), then we immigrated to Canada when I was 5 years old, lived there for many years and applied for citizenship. Then finally the USA, where I moved to in High School as a landed immigrant and just became a citizen in 2004.

I only have 2 passports active now (Canadian and USA) but I am a citizen of 4 countries.

And yes, I have no issues with Customs when I travel, never have been detained or overly questioned. Yes some countries question me more extensively, but believe it or not I have never been denied entry into any country (how is that so hard to believe)

As far as me speaking out against Canada and their policies, I think I offer some balance to the constant US bashing on this forum. You never seem to have a problem with any posters that post misinformation and generalizations on the US now do you?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-07-2010 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: personal attack removed

Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
And you've met and talked to the "99% of Canadians" at Mexican resorts and know this? I think you've missed a few - most of the people I know (as in personally, not pretend statistics) that have gone to Mexico go into the towns, on excursions, ziplining in the jungle and haggling in the markets for silver jewellry.
Sorry a few excursions hardly count as traveling, resort traveling is not my cup of tea I guess. That is why I did not find much in common with many Torotonians I assume. To each his own though, sorry I "offended" you and your friends choice of vacation.

Last edited by Cart24; 06-07-2010 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Sorry a few excursions hardly count as traveling, resort traveling is not my cup of tea I guess. That is why I did not find much in common with many Torotonians I assume. To each his own though, sorry I "offended" you and your friends choice of vacation.
Who said anything about "travelling"? YOUR statement is that 99% of Canadians "don't leave the resort". You are full of crap - as usual.

Whenever anyone disagrees with you on anything in any of your threads, you get abusive. I am an idiot, Waterloosen is "clueless", you got all snotty with Zoisite and anyone sporting a Canadian flag is a loser. Get a life man. Get a nationality. Get something.

You didn't "offend" me - your arguments and opinions are of no merit and therefore hold no weight with me. You amuse me more than anything. I am thinking "Turkey" is a good place for you to stay.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Who said anything about "travelling"? YOUR statement is that 99% of Canadians "don't leave the resort". You are full of crap - as usual.

Whenever anyone disagrees with you on anything in any of your threads, you get abusive. I am an idiot, Waterloosen is "clueless", you got all snotty with Zoisite and anyone sporting a Canadian flag is a loser. Get a life man. Get a nationality. Get something.

You didn't "offend" me - your arguments and opinions are of no merit and therefore hold no weight with me. You amuse me more than anything. I am thinking "Turkey" is a good place for you to stay.

You are the one who "questioned" me being a citizen of 4 countries, like that is something someone would make up. Then when I broke it down for you simply (trust me that is beyond necessary) you have nothing to say.

The 99% was hardly an "official" statistic, did I link to any study. My goodness its like I have to spell everything out for you.

And yes anyone sporting a flag is a loser

Last edited by Cart24; 06-07-2010 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:

You are a complete joke, you are the one who "questioned" me being a citizen of 4 countries, like that is something someone would make up. Then when I broke it down for you simply (trust me that is beyond necessary) you have nothing to say.

The 99% was hardly an "official" statistic, did I link to any study. My goodness its like I have to spell everything out for you.

And yes anyone sporting a flag is a loser
So it isn't 99%?

What would it be then? 98%? 46%? 12%? You really don't have any idea do you? You just pull numbers out of your butt to support your generalisations and biased opinions. And when questioned, you get nasty.
Where oh where is a yawning smiley when one needs it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada