Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

Good morning my dear friends!
As always thank you for your thoughts and prayers--we can certainly feel them!
I am improving with the cold but DH is still pretty uncomfortable but still no fever so that is good. Last night for some reason just as I went to bed I felt horrible again--stuffed up nose, throat itchy but I was feeling pretty good until then...I had to get up and take some medication, use some nasal spray and basically sit up to go sleep.
I had a pretty good day with sales so now I need to get going on putting up more things. Christmas items are starting to sell now--oh I dread it but we do need the money so I will just stick to it. It's so hard to get the critters cared for, the house cleaned, take care of DH and then try keeping up when the Christmas sales start--but I seem to remember me complaining about lack of sales a few weeks ago--so time to eat that elephant one bite at a time as NMS put it and just be happy there is some money coming in now.
Hope everyone has an enjoyable day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 09:40 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
A tip of my hat to you, Cyn !

I am caregiver for my wife ( late stages of ALS ) but I am retired.

I can not imagine the workload ( and stress) of being a caregiver plus earning money thru either a job or self employment.

It must require a real " juggling act "

Old 10-04-2013, 11:45 AM

Thank you and yes it can be like a juggling act here Teddy, often times it is, and my critters are a big part of our family here so they do require their fair share of attention--or at least as much as I can give them! We brought several of our rescued cats with us from CA 6 years ago--a 2,300 mile move. I just recently lost my 26 year old lady cat and still have 5 cats over the age of 18 years that live basically inside and a couple still go out during the day time hours. You are talking about a lot of upkeep for them! They require a lot of time but they are our family. . Of course my DH does get his SS but we all know how far that goes in today's world and I am to young to collect it so I work online selling things I purchase on weekends at auctions and estate sales. My DH had been selling online for years so he already has it set up but it is a constant job requiring constant attention. I am an honest person and it is difficult dealing with some of the people you must online as they are far from honest. I am an easy target for them I suppose. But I have also met some very nice people so I guess that helps make up for the bad.
I must stay on top of this house as my DH's breathing problems require it to be as clean as I can possibly keep it--and with cats and living on a dirt road--well, it's a job for sure. My relaxing time is when I come here...just writing and reading others posts gives me more strength to keep going. Believe me I don't know what a day off would be like or time to myself--but we have to make the best of what is handed to us and I am trying to do just that.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 10-04-2013 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 PM

I'll be dead honest---I'd rather pick up dog poop then sell online but no one is paying for me to do that and if they did I couldn't be here to take care of my DH so what I am doing is what I am able to do. Smile

Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
Ooo, gee....not so sure about the dog poop thing, there, cyn.....

Hugs to ya, girl.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times
As I type this from my Kindle, I'm looking at my granny as she lays down suffering from these abdominal pains that's been plaguing her. She's a shadow of her former self. I know I only have 1 year or less with her unless she changes her smoking habits and diets properly and maybe more walking. She's too stubborn to do any of that and is at the age where she knows her time is coming.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
As I type this from my Kindle, I'm looking at my granny as she lays down suffering from these abdominal pains that's been plaguing her. She's a shadow of her former self. I know I only have 1 year or less with her unless she changes her smoking habits and diets properly and maybe more walking. She's too stubborn to do any of that and is at the age where she knows her time is coming.
Oh my heart goes out to you. Dealing with a person who won't help themselves is so difficult. Maybe she really wants it to end...my mother was like that and really she was quite unhappy with her life. I just felt she didn't care to try to get well. As her daughter I wanted her to try and to stay with us so she could get to know her grand children--well, you know, all those things we would think they would want to enjoy. But apparently she was tired of life in general and just gave up. I suppose I was really only thinking of my feelings but she was pretty young when she passed away and basically it was all from smoking cigarettes and not stopping even when she was on oxygen. She had other problems too--prescription drugs and alcohol--all a way to escape the reality of life. I don't think my mother had been happy for a very long time. I think we can love them and show we care but as far as making them want to stay alive---well that is really up to them. It's heartbreaking for those who are left behind. And then we see others who are fighting to stay alive--life is so confusing to me sometimes.....
I wish I had some words of wisdom but I'm standing right next to you with a whole different set of ugly circumstances but with the same heartbreaking ending in the not to far off future. I am so happy you stopped by to share here and really please keep coming by--some of the people who post here have such wonderful ideas and can make even people like you and I feel like life will be ok. They share and give strength so please don't be a stranger and my prayers are being said for you and your granny!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
Hugs to you, Lital. You'll be added to my "list" of good thoughts, along with your granny.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:12 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh my heart goes out to you. Dealing with a person who won't help themselves is so difficult. Maybe she really wants it to end...my mother was like that and really she was quite unhappy with her life. I just felt she didn't care to try to get well. As her daughter I wanted her to try and to stay with us so she could get to know her grand children--well, you know, all those things we would think they would want to enjoy. But apparently she was tired of life in general and just gave up. I suppose I was really only thinking of my feelings but she was pretty young when she passed away and basically it was all from smoking cigarettes and not stopping even when she was on oxygen. She had other problems too--prescription drugs and alcohol--all a way to escape the reality of life. I don't think my mother had been happy for a very long time. I think we can love them and show we care but as far as making them want to stay alive---well that is really up to them. It's heartbreaking for those who are left behind. And then we see others who are fighting to stay alive--life is so confusing to me sometimes.....
I wish I had some words of wisdom but I'm standing right next to you with a whole different set of ugly circumstances but with the same heartbreaking ending in the not to far off future. I am so happy you stopped by to share here and really please keep coming by--some of the people who post here have such wonderful ideas and can make even people like you and I feel like life will be ok. They share and give strength so please don't be a stranger and my prayers are being said for you and your granny!

I'm sorry you had to deal with that but trust me when I say this: I know EXACTLY how you feel, since I went through a lot of the similar circumstances with multiple family members. It's sad, since you want them to be happy but the old saying goes: "You can't help those who don't help themselves".

My granny is an awesome grandmother and I couldn't ask for a better one. She's dealt with her own struggles and personal demons AND the struggles that were thrown on her back from her husband/my late grandfather, siblings, cousins, children and to a much lesser extent (thankfully) her grand children (which consist of me and 5 others). Till this day she still is burdened by my uncle and mom who can't get their ish together. She has no interest in socializing much with anyone, whether it be friends or even (some) family. Luckily, I'm an exception and she never gets annoyed with me (so far). She even admits and in an underlying way says she's ready to die. The only thing I can do is enjoy my time with her and give her all the laughs that she enjoys by my goofiness and silly antics. I'm preparing for her to fade away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Hugs to you, Lital. You'll be added to my "list" of good thoughts, along with your granny.

Thank you, hugs and good thoughts to you and whomever it is you need a good thought to go out to as well.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:40 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Lital ...... all you can do is to be there for her and to enjoy the time you have together for as long as you have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving