Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 07:33 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times

Advertisements

Thank you elston. His sinus is still bad. Hopefully as the day goes on he will feel better. I had nightmares all night about weird things--guess it goes with everything going on.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 10-06-2013 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning everyone!
Last night was very challenging to say the least...DH was having a very hard time swallowing, choking on everything it seemed. It is so scary when he does that and then there is that fear a piece of whatever it is he is choking on will go into his lungs and cause pneumonia.....I keep thinking it is this cold and the sinus problems associated with it. I think I said 100 prayers last night! Hopefully he will feel better today. He is still sleeping so I won't know until he gets up.
It is really tough on both of you. ( his choking)

Many ALS people have a feeding peg to avoud the stress on both the patient and caregiver.
Was he opposed to that ?

Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
Hi Cyn, I take care of an elderly couple, 97 and 95 and the woman is in the hospital because of aspirating on liquids and got pneumonia, now she has other problems. You can buy stuff to thicken the liquids and keep the food very soft, that might help.

Hope he feels better soon and keep good thoughts.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Teddy, I suppose my DH is waiting until he has no choice. He has always enjoyed cooking, the flavors of foods and then eating them. Of course now we are so limited as to what we can eat and I do all of the cooking that meals are a challenge and n ot very interesting. My DH knows that he is going to have to have a feeding peg eventually--I just think he is hoping for later rather then sooner. Not sure if that is going to happen though. We got to visit with another patient last time at the clinic who uses a feeding peg and honestly it didn't seem to bother the other guy much--it was how he can eat and stay alive. I think it amazed my DH to see how accepting this guy was of his feeding peg. I hope it will help him to make that decision before he aspirates and gets pneumonia. But if I say anything he gets upset so it has to be his idea.....very difficult..... But seeing that other patient did seem help his opinion of the feeding peg....

Old 10-06-2013, 10:57 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,732 times
As a caregiver myself, I remember seeing my loved one struggle and have choking episodes takes an emotional toll on the caregiver. The peg gave me a lot of relief , also.

A tough situation.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:38 AM

Yes, I can see where that would be a relief. It is so stressful seeing someone you love in a panic because of choking and not being able to help and then having the other fears that go along with it all. My DH gets very upset with me sometimes when I get scared...he says he wonders what I am going to do if something really horrible happens. I suppose I'll just do the best I can and there is always help just a phone call away...still it scares him. This is all new to me too and I am learning---
I have to stop being so hard on myself though--my DH can be a real stinker and I know I am an intelligent person so I am working very hard on letting his mean words go in one ear and out the other realizing he is afraid and very unhappy with where his life is headed. I can do my best and that is all I can do!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 10-06-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-06-2013, 01:11 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,449,871 times
Prayers for you all, because I am dealing with the same thing...my younger sister who lost her husband last summer is dying of cancer. Her totally dedicated and wonderful daughter (only child) would LOVE to be closer and help, but she and her hubby and 2 school age children live far away, and with school and jobs, it is just not feasible for her to be here for all my sisters needs. I only pray that God keeps me healthy enough to meet her needs as she transitions with this cancer....

Old 10-06-2013, 01:24 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Prayers for you all, because I am dealing with the same thing...my younger sister who lost her husband last summer is dying of cancer. Her totally dedicated and wonderful daughter (only child) would LOVE to be closer and help, but she and her hubby and 2 school age children live far away, and with school and jobs, it is just not feasible for her to be here for all my sisters needs. I only pray that God keeps me healthy enough to meet her needs as she transitions with this cancer....

I will hold you and your sister in my prayerful thoughts to Paka.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM

I will also keep you and your sister in my prayers Paka.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat
Good morning everyone!
Last night was very challenging to say the least...DH was having a very hard time swallowing, choking on everything it seemed.
Im so sorry sweetie.... I hope he gets better soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving