Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 07:11 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times

Advertisements

Dear cyn....I hope that you stayed in safe, warm and dry. Constipation is never an acute emergency situation....it can wait. I wonder if some of the problem is the very small amount of food your DH is eating..... Whatever.....hope your weather is better tomorrow.....and that you can get him safely to a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 06:37 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
Good morning dear friends!
We decided the same thing elston--today the sun is shining although it is very cold the roads are clear. I will be taking DH in today to get checked out at the hospital. I have wondered about his eating less food too but it's been nearly a week now and that isn't good. With his surgery coming up we need him feeling as good as possible.
I talked to my friend in CA who's DH died a few years ago from ALS--she is the one who gave me the electric wheelchairs. She knows exactly how I am feeling and what DH and I are going through--it did feel good to talk to someone who knows me so well and who has been through the same thing.
Have a lovely day everyone!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning dear friends!
We decided the same thing elston--today the sun is shining although it is very cold the roads are clear. I will be taking DH in today to get checked out at the hospital. I have wondered about his eating less food too but it's been nearly a week now and that isn't good. With his surgery coming up we need him feeling as good as possible.
I talked to my friend in CA who's DH died a few years ago from ALS--she is the one who gave me the electric wheelchairs. She knows exactly how I am feeling and what DH and I are going through--it did feel good to talk to someone who knows me so well and who has been through the same thing.
Have a lovely day everyone!

I'm so glad you got to talk to your friend, Cyn, and you have her support and encouragement, it has to mean a lot to you...

And I hope that you and DH will get some good answers, suggestions, information at the hospital- I know constipation is a very common problem among chronically ill folks-usually due to forced immobility, eating less, medication, resulting in slower peristalsis , so they should be able to give you some information, and help your DH out that-away...

Be safe on those roads, and here's an extra hug and positive thoughts, and maybe an extra angel to accompany you on your journey.... ((((Cyn and DH)))))...

Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,732 times
Cyn..........I dealt with the same problems you did ( and that was with a person who could not talk at all)

We went thru trying times and Hospice trying many remedies with no avail.

Finally, we got the right combination of stool softener and powdered laxative that solved the problem.

It took all 3 of us.........Hospice nurse,Hospice doctor, and myself offering many suggestions and trying many different things before we got it down pat.

I feel so helpless ......................reading the EXACT things we went thru and now seeing you having to deal with it.

I will always add my encouragement and prayers for you and your DN.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 PM

Tears....all they said was for me to try an enema--I've never even given one but looks like I'm going to learn. DH lost 4 pounds this week---I am so worried.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Cyn......is it possible to have district nursing (VNA) or hospice come to the house to teach you how to administer an enema? It is a medical procedure and requires training....especially when the patient is a loved one who is so fragile. If not, can you go to the als clinic and have it done and be taught how to do it?

Did you go to the hospital emergency room, or to the doctors office? Can you get him seen at the clinic? I think you are in over your head and need professional assistance.....at least to teach you.

I know he doesn't want to have anyone else care for him......but this might be beyond what you can do for him. I want to say that would be ok to admit.....I think I could assist someone who knew what they were doing and how to position the patient......and the necessary equipment.....but I know I couldn't do it on my own with only verbal or written instructions or diagram. Can he do it on the toilet or will he need to be lying on his side on the bed?

Cyn, my heart goes out to you.

Last edited by elston; 03-26-2014 at 12:29 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 03:30 PM

Elston, like you I am very unsure of myself doing this..but it seems it's like having a cup of coffee to everyone around here. I have talked to the ALS clinic nurse and she was like no big deal, we saw his Dr today and I told him I'd never done this before and he said you can do it...I talked to the neurologist at the clinic and he seemed to think it was not a difficult thing to do. They all made me feel quite stupid really. It's like everyone should know how to do it. When I picked up the enema I asked to talk to the pharmacist and and she was the most caring and thoughtful person of everyone. She explained it to me and I will just have to do my best. I know God will be holding me and helping me.....
Just to much went on today--DH got angry with me for not telling the Dr all the things he wanted me to tell him--well I can't understand my DH all that well either but I do my very best! It's like he's just angry at the world and I understand that but my insides are such a wreck...I just hope everything works..the enema and then the feeding tube. I know it's not forever but even just a little break would be wonderful.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Sounds like its one of the pre-packaged fleets enemas. I thought you had to use the stainless steel pitcher with the tube etc. I don't think you are at all stupid.....and I bet you will do just fine.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:41 AM

Good Morning cyn and friends. Cyn you and your husband are in my thoughts this morning.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,070 times
Cyn, I do hope things are better for both of you this morning! I will tell you a funny little story about my mother having to get an enema.

She had ovarian cancer and we had to take her in to the ER one rainy, stormy night and after having been seen by the ER dr (who was not familiar with her case at all) said they needed to give her an enema. After he left the room, she looks at us and said - did he just say he thought I was full of @#$%! We nearly fell down, we were laughing so hard, because she just did not talk like that! We were just thanking the Good Lord that we did not have to be giving it to her. But, I did learn to give her suppositories (would not give them to my own children (my husband did that), but I had to learn that it was a necessary evil.

I have no doubt that you will be able to do this for your hubby!

Hope everyone has a pretty good day. Update on my arm, went to doctor yesterday and it has pretty much healed! It is itching like crazy though. But, that's a good thing. Doctor still thinks she may have to do a little botox injection later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving