Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:24 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Tokinouta has corrected us about her gender.
I just meant that my brother has always said the same thing...."just gonna go off in the woods and stay in some shack until I die."

Me, I want the Assisted Living! If I can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 11:14 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
AMEN TO THIS. Lots of folks think it's some sort of honor - till they have to do it. WHAT A HARD ENDEAVOR IT OFTEN IS. And it takes often several years of work and lots of documentation, record keeping, and attention to detail. Taxes, property sales, etc. If you don't think you can commit to several years of this sort of thing (not to mention the emotional side of it and dealing with other family members) then be sure you tell this to whoever thinks they are honoring you with this level of trust and get someone else lined up to do it. It's a massive job.
That may be true but one alternative is if your parent has already spent/lost all their money it is very easy. Have an estate sale or pay someone to haul it away...have the lawyer send letters to everyone that there's no money to be had...the end.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That may be true but one alternative is if your parent has already spent/lost all their money it is very easy. Have an estate sale or pay someone to haul it away...have the lawyer send letters to everyone that there's no money to be had...the end.
Right. If there's no money and very little property. That's not always the case.

Heck, when my mom sold her house that's exactly what we did by the way but it was still a huge endeavor because we had to go through everything - and in the process found out that my parents really are hoarders - my dad was just a very organized hoarder, to an extent. But some stuff was totally random. For instance, we found my brother's original adoption papers in the bottom of a broken filing cabinet in the garage, under neath old Christmas wrapping paper. I also found over 2000 slides of just about every birthday, holiday, and vacation in our family over about 20 years - those were in two weird looking boxes stuck underneath a stack of cleaning supplies - and I don't even think my dad knew he still had them because for several years he'd been complaining about how his slides had "disappeared in a move,: No, they hadn't - he just couldn't keep up with all their stuff stuff stuff stuff stuff.

So we still had to go through every file, every drawer, every box, every closet, every nook and cranny, with a fine tooth comb. It was tough - and emotional.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:22 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I just meant that my brother has always said the same thing...."just gonna go off in the woods and stay in some shack until I die."

Me? I want servants in a mansion.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:44 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

Me too! I like meeting new people and having stuff to do. I imagine it akin to being at our timeshare, except someone will be emptying my Foley every morning.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:05 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I am LIVING this "opposite problem." It's tough. But after living through absolutely zero communication or legal paperwork straight, and the deaths of two very unorganized "paper hoarders" who kept everything but in absolutely no order, I prefer the overload of information and documentation over chaos.

Were our dads brothers? Because my dad always told me he was an only child...
Maybe they were yin and yang. Oh there probably was organization, it just wasn't YOUR style of organization. Reminds me of a favorite quote from Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring. Gandalf described Barliman Butterbur, a tavernkeeper, thus "His mind is like a lumber room....thing wanted, always buried."

At least mine restricted his hoarding to a townhome, not 2 barns! Yours was an overachiever!

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-07-2017 at 02:43 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Maybe they were yin and yang. Oh there probably was organization, it just wasn't YOUR style of organization. Reminds me of a favorite quote from Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring. Gandalf described Barliman Butterbur, a tavernkeeper, thus "His mind is like a lumber room....thing wanted, always buried."

At least mine restricted his hoarding to a townhome, not 2 barns! Yours was an overachiever!
Oh in so many ways. Two very large barns, three big houses, a guest house, a smaller barn, and two sheds. Let me see if I can count the vehicles...8 vehicles. A business. Property in two states.

Oh, and a wife who can't drive, who's got bipolar disorder, a mended hip that requires a cane, a stroke that has affected her vision and balance, and vascular dementia. Can't leave her out of the equation of "barely contained chaos!"

Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Please tell me this is a joke. Seriously, I hope it is.
I wish it were. Not sure why you think that can't happen. My Aunt stayed with her on weekends and she hadn't yet gotten a caregiver for the rest of the time. There was no life alert then. If there were she might not have known yet she needed one.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I wish it were. Not sure why you think that can't happen. My Aunt stayed with her on weekends and she hadn't yet gotten a caregiver for the rest of the time. There was no life alert then. If there were she might not have known yet she needed one.
I didn't say I didn't believe it. I was just hoping it was a joke. Drinking toilet water for a week to survive is beyond horrible!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I didn't say I didn't believe it. I was just hoping it was a joke. Drinking toilet water for a week to survive is beyond horrible!
Gotcha. Yeah, that is pretty terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving