Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:42 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I don't know how accurate that book is, I agree there, but as stated, I already loathed Joan Crawford.

I know that she was a mega-star, but I just can't stand her. She married a Pepsi mogul, didn't she, and became a spokeswoman for Pepsi?

I've always liked Bette Davis, though.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about this...it's a matter of taste, after all, a personal thing.
Oh of course......... As I said earlier, in a few films I adore Bette Davis. Especially 'The Old Maid.' Whenever I see this film, I forgive Bette for all her overacting in many other roles. She is just wonderful in this movie.

In the story, her daughter, born out of wedlock thinks she is her Aunt, not her mother. So, Bette tries to advise her daughter, but is often rebuffed. On her daughter's wedding day, she has to keep up the pretense of being her Aunt. But as her daughter sets out to leave, she asks for her Aunt Charlotte........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hEiVfqh_GM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 10:45 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
Thank you for posting this.

Mr. Daynet is napping at the moment, but once he's up, I'm going to watch this clip.

We have a "Walking Dead" marathon on at the moment on TV. Old seasons. It's still on as my background noise.

Do you watch that show? Mr. Daynet is absolutely hooked on it!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Thank you for posting this.

Mr. Daynet is napping at the moment, but once he's up, I'm going to watch this clip.

We have a "Walking Dead" marathon on at the moment on TV. Old seasons. It's still on as my background noise.

Do you watch that show? Mr. Daynet is absolutely hooked on it!
No, I don't know this show, although I am sure it's on English telly somewhere! I tend to watch things that my son puts on discs for me. Stuff like Boardwalk Empire, and True Detective, which were both fantastic programmes.

My wife watches a lot of soap operas, so I don't get to see much tv.........

Old 07-10-2016, 11:28 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
You have to check out
"The Walking Dead".

Get your son to look it up; why should he be left out in the cold? It's really an excellent series.

Meh, ever since ABC in the States cancelled "All My Children" and "One Life To Live", I stopped watching soaps.

Even before those shows were cancelled, I stopped watching as the writing deteriorated and the storylines became boring.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:42 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
I could never take to the late Joan Crawford.

I thought and still think that she was harsh and garish-looking.

Author Aldous Huxley described an early-'30's studio still photo of her as looking like "...a yet-unnamed product of the Dupont Corporation."

Old 07-10-2016, 02:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
What I have read from others who knew John Wayne in reality, he was a real nice man. He was an old fashioned patriot, which seemed to rub some people up the wrong way.

It was a rocky road before he became a star. He was around in films for nine years, before he made 'Stagecoach,' directed by John Ford. This was the film that made him a major star.

Ford used Wayne for years, but didn't consider him a particularly good actor. Then, Wayne made 'Red River' directed by Howard Hawks. Ford saw Wayne in a new light after that, and they went on to make the great movies associated with them both.

For me, 'The Searchers' made in 1956, is the height of both of their careers. Nobody else but John Ford, brought the best out of John Wayne as an actor. This film, for me, is among the greatest ever made in Hollywood.

What I knew about him personally, I liked. The suggestion in the thread title, however, pertains to roles and acting, not personal attributes.

Therefore, I have to second John Wayne, simply because I only saw one of his movies--True Grit. He was good in that movie (I don't remember who dragged me to see it), but I simply wasnt drawn to his movies.

Same with....Charlton Heston. He was perfect for the role of Moses, Moses () but I can't even remember seeing him in anything else other than Earthquake and, if I did, it was probably by accident. I never got the appeal.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Judy Garland. Those eyes were so spooky looking, for starters.
Joan Crawford - looked like Groucho Marx with those eyebrows (but, entertaining in some roles)
Boris Karloff (weird, useless)

Old 07-10-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Judy Garland. Those eyes were so spooky looking, for starters.
Joan Crawford - looked like Groucho Marx with those eyebrows (but, entertaining in some roles)
Boris Karloff (weird, useless)
I agree with 'ol Boris......... he had a very long career, but is really only remembered for 'Frankenstein.'He was 44 when he played the part of the monster for the first time, and 52 the last time. But, he sure is remembered. He had an interesting background. Private school education, meant for work in the diplomatic corps like others in his family. Went to college, then dropped out. He left England and ended up in Canada ditch digging. He sort of drifted into acting. A 60 year acting career, and he is remembered for just one role. Sort of sad really.

Same with Joan. I think she has a great face, but I agree on the eyebrows....... She changed her image over the years. The 1925 Joan looks very different to the 1945 Crawford of 'Mildred Pierce.'

As for Judy....... I have a few books about her, full of beautiful photos. She was a very ordinary looking woman, but the make-up experts did their work, and in some films, like for instance, 'Meet Me In St. Louis', I think she is lovely.

I think she and Mickey Rooney, were probably the most naturally talented people ever discovered by Hollywood. That great talent was what killed her. Everybody wanted a piece of Judy Garland. The end scene in 'The Wizard of Oz' would bring a tear to a glass eye, and in parts of 'A Star Is Born', she is unnervingly good.

Last edited by English Dave; 07-11-2016 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 10:53 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I agree with 'ol Boris......... he had a very long career, but is really only remembered for 'Frankenstein.'He was 44 when he played the part of the monster for the first time, and 52 the last time. But, he sure is remembered. He had an interesting background. Private school education, meant for work in the diplomatic corps like others in his family. Went to college, then dropped out. He left England and ended up in Canada ditch digging. He sort of drifted into acting. A 60 year acting career, and he is remembered for just one role. Sort of sad really.

Same with Joan. I think she has a great face, but I agree on the eyebrows....... She changed her image over the years. The 1925 Joan looks very different to the 1945 Crawford of 'Mildred Pierce.'

As for Judy....... I have a few books about her, full of beautiful photos. She was a very ordinary looking woman, but the make-up experts did their work, and in some films, like for instance, 'Meet Me In St. Louis', I think she is lovely.

I think she and Mickey Rooney, were probably the most naturally talented people ever discovered by Hollywood. That great talent was what killed her. Everybody wanted a piece of Judy Garland. The end scene in 'The Wizard of Oz' would bring a tear to a glass eye, and in parts of 'A Star Is Born', she is unnervingly good.

I have a party tape of Judy Garland being interviewed (1955?). It's a hoot. She tells clearly what Jews are all about. I don't have the title. Just Google it. You'll laugh your ass off.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I have a party tape of Judy Garland being interviewed (1955?). It's a hoot. She tells clearly what Jews are all about. I don't have the title. Just Google it. You'll laugh your ass off.
Apparently, Judy Garland in real life, was quick witted, and very funny. I find her very watchable in her movies. She inspired great loyalty from her friend Mickey Rooney. I watched him in a live show ten years ago where he talked about her with great affection. He even played piano, and sang a song he had written about her. It was very touching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities