Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,256 times

Advertisements

OK...We are coming into town next week to look at rentals. We are considering apt. complexes, although we're not crazy about that option due to horror stories we've read about EVERY complex on sites like apartmentratings.com It's hard to tell which stories are true or just posted by folks who are disgruntled for some reason. It would really help us if we could hear from some folks who live in various apartment complexes and can actually give us an honest review of them. (We've read some info. on here, but a lot of it is dated.) We are concentrating on Summerville and Goose Creek, but would like to know about other good complexes as well. My husband will be working in North Charleston, but we've ruled that out for renting. Thanks for any info. that you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Look at renting a house instead of an appartment, there are tons of them on the market right now....

Old 09-10-2010, 11:26 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,767 times
Other than the current corporate housing we're in I have no experience with apartment rentals, but I do know that you need to take those reviews with a grain of salt. When's the last time you had a decent, or even good retail experience and ran to the internet to post a good review? I'm betting that people who are content are too busy just living their lives to bother with these review sites, so all while you may be hearing from people that have had legitimate problems, they may just have an axe to grind. Either way, you are probably not seeing a clear picture of what the complexes are really like. I'm not saying ignore the reviews, but don't take them on faith....keep digging.
We're really enjoying this corporate stay at Center Square in MP, by the way. Not sure apt. living is for me, but it sure is nice to take a break from yardwork!!!

Last edited by roxanneself; 09-10-2010 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: let's try for more clarity this time!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:52 PM

OTC.....We want a short-term lease, and people renting houses won't give one. That's another reason why we are looking at apts. We'd rather NOT go the apt. route (especially after being homeowners for so many years), but for a short-term lease, we really have no choice.

You made good points, Roxanne.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Sometimes you can find short term leases at the beaches in the off season since the alternative is to have an empty and untended house for 6 months.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:28 PM

mrpeatie....Our goal is a short-term lease that is renewable if we need it. If we rented starting Nov. 1st at the beach, it's likely that the owners would have us move out after 6 months due to the upcoming summer rental season.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:35 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
There are some shorter term leases available. Have you had a Realtor that does rentals look for you?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,767 times
We were also looking for short term ( less than 6 months) leases, and we found a few, but none that would put my son in the right school. We looked at winter beach rentals too, but every one we looked at wanted occupants until the end of May, and considering the number of accidents I've seen on highway 17 lately, I am NOT interested in ferrying my kids to school for the next eight months.
We're still looking though, so if I see any good resources I will pass them on to you.
Good luck!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Beach...Contacted a few realtors who all referred us to their websites. We haven't found anything yet that looks decent and is a short-term rental. Also, in our price range, the house rentals are pretty much abysmal...in bad areas and not anything we'd ever consider living in. Again, this is why I posted asking for info. on apartment complexes.

Roxanne......Thanks!!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
6 months to a year is an average lease term here. There are sometimes 3 month or month to month leases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area