Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
The traffic density doesn't lend itself to large groupings of big box stores around Carolina Park. Being what residential speculation has been.. I don't see any big box store willing to gamble at this time.

The issue is there is space for one or two big box stores to go in in certain spaces. But not enough to create the 'hub' type areas they tend to build in. They have their metrics on the chances of success for a business. There really isn't an incentive to change a model that works for them.

With that understanding you're actually championing no big box stores.. or maybe big box stores several years down the road once growth catches up to areas.

Personally the area down by Towne Center is already big box commercial. I have no issue adding more to improve the quality of life for a majority of those in the city. Even if that's at the expense of a little green space and a neighborhood or two is impacted.
See and everyone has different thoughts on that. I would prefer an area to not sacrifice the green space and neighborhoods in favor of big box stores. When we decided to raise my child in a suburban area, the devotion to the residential and green space over commercial was one of the reasons I chose Mt Pleasant. I think it's sad they seem to be moving away from that model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 02:59 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
I didn't think Best Buy was really expanding anywhere - from what I've been reading they haven't been doing very well in a while now.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
Plenty of people don't want to live in Mount Pleasant, and they almost always have perfectly logical reasons for wanting to live elsewhere. If everyone wanted to live here it would be bad for all of us. Then every once in a while we get the people who are so tragically bitter about their inability to live here that you just can't help but feel a little sad for them. Only you know for sure which category you fit into, but your posts scream bitter to me.

If a small wealthy minority forces the issue about a box store moving to the city then that is a problem that I can agree IS a problem. If the majority (and I have no idea if that is the case in this situation because I haven't seen the numbers) is opposed to a big box store then why is it a problem if it is blocked? Shouldn't the people be allowed to express their feelings about what happens in the city where they live and pay taxes?
I've never voted Democrat in my life, FYI, but that doesn't mean that I think businesses should have free reign to do what they want, where they want.
And of course there are lots of cities that don't block the big box stores. Those are cities where the people are happy to see something new come in, or are so paved over one more store just plain doesn't matter. Do you think North Charleston wishes we would stop coming over there to spend our money?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Everybody needs to do what I do... Keep calm and go get some Zaxby's. The one on Sam Ritt was packed but the wait was only 5-10 minutes.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
God I love the ignore list, DrTesla Welcome to Iggy....

Now I never have to see another thing you write...

Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
We don't need a Best Buy -- meet Amazon, New Egg....blah, blah, blah.....

Box Stores that work, aren't big asphalt monstrosities -- meat Lowe's in Mt. Pleasant. We couuld use a Home Depot ...just 'cause Ace Hardware True Value & Lowe's sometimes don't have what you are looking for. Set it back off the road...tuck it away...we will find it.

Every community I have lived in has resisted any kind of development in their backyard. Didn't matter if it was box stores, commerical, residential......once we move in we think nobody else should.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We don't need a Best Buy -- meet Amazon, New Egg....blah, blah, blah.....

Box Stores that work, aren't big asphalt monstrosities -- meat Lowe's in Mt. Pleasant. We couuld use a Home Depot ...just 'cause Ace Hardware True Value & Lowe's sometimes don't have what you are looking for. Set it back off the road...tuck it away...we will find it.

Every community I have lived in has resisted any kind of development in their backyard. Didn't matter if it was box stores, commerical, residential......once we move in we think nobody else should.
We need a Best Buy to see electronics without buying them. :thumbup:

Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
One thing that is aggravating though is we are constantly trashed about our "horrible" traffic but then when people say they don't want another big box and they cite traffic as one of the concerns they are patted on the head and told to quit being such a snob.
The alternative is 320+ Apartments... it's going to be a traffic issue either way.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
The alternative is 320+ Apartments... it's going to be a traffic issue either way.
So what do I get if I predict the "Wando Outerloop Expressway"?

Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
So what do I get if I predict the "Wando Outerloop Expressway"?
At face value if you can get it to pass.. your awesomeness would know no bounds. But where would they put it in? Initially I would look at 17 around Wando High to 526.. but I can't see where they would cross the river. You could expand 41 to 4 lanes and do something once you cross the river, but then that's outside Mt. Pleasant city limits and a 4 lane 41 isn't really an expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area