Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I disagree. A lot of people only get one visit before they make a final decision to make a move. I think they all should come in August. Better to see a place at its worst, and then decide if you love it enough to put up with all the negatives.
Haha good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,946 times
Default add another murder...

several agencies are working what looks like another homicide as I type this, one of the ramps to I-26 at Jedburg Rd... outside edge of S'Ville

btw to the 6th generation poster, part of my family came here in the lowcountry right at the river on Dorchester State Park in S'Ville back in the 1600's... but that doesn't mean I was here to take credit for it... lol

I remember when S'Ville was barely a few thousand people, it's exploded and with that has come a ton of thugs from other areas... it still has it's great areas, but they are mere steps from the bad areas now...

it's not NYC or LA bad, but for what this area used to be it's nothing like the paradise it was IMHO

Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I disagree. A lot of people only get one visit before they make a final decision to make a move. I think they all should come in August. Better to see a place at its worst, and then decide if you love it enough to put up with all the negatives.
This is one of the most intelligent posts I have seen in a long time. It's obvious that you don't make a living off of people moving to your area, and your honesty is quite refreshing.

When we first learned about our potential transfer to Phoenix from Michigan and made a trip out there, it was in the dead of February. One look, and we were hooked. And then...and then. Has anyone here ever been to Phoenix in July? I think people there go to hell for some relief from the heat! We should have definitely done what this poster says and visited the place at its worst. Lesson learned. Definitely visit the Charleston area in the dead of summer and peak tourist season before you decide to move there.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:51 PM

193 posts, read 394,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
several agencies are working what looks like another homicide as I type this, one of the ramps to I-26 at Jedburg Rd... outside edge of S'Ville

Per the latest reports, looks like a North Charleston carjacking that ended up at Jedburg Road. Not exactly S'ville's fault.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 PM

23 posts, read 33,621 times
I was planning on picking the hottest month to come. I lived in Georgia years ago, so humidity I'm fine with. As for Arizona, I got married there and we always wanted to live there, but going to "hell" to cool down is funny but true!!

I was in SC (Myrtle Beach area in July), but I understand it's usually cooler by the shore. I was also in Orlando FL at the end of June and if it's anything like that in August, (that was HOT), it woudn't stop me, we prefer HOT!!!

Thanks to all and the advice! Much appreciated!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutigress View Post
Per the latest reports, looks like a North Charleston carjacking that ended up at Jedburg Road. Not exactly S'ville's fault.
technically I'm not sure any of them actually started in S'Ville, but they ended up here...

Old 04-28-2012, 09:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post

btw to the 6th generation poster, part of my family came here in the lowcountry right at the river on Dorchester State Park in S'Ville back in the 1600's... but that doesn't mean I was here to take credit for it... lol

I remember when S'Ville was barely a few thousand people, it's exploded and with that has come a ton of thugs from other areas... it still has it's great areas, but they are mere steps from the bad areas now...

it's not NYC or LA bad, but for what this area used to be it's nothing like the paradise it was IMHO
That isn't even near Summerville, that is in the unincorporated area of Berkeley County. Neither Summerville Police or Dorchester County Sheriffs have jurisdiction there....

Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times
That's what I was about to say.....

That isn't even near Summerville, that is in the unincorporated area of Berkeley County. Neither Summerville Police or Dorchester County Sheriffs have jurisdiction there....

Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
that isn't near SVille??? what's your definition of near? it's a mere few miles from the SVille town line... by exit numbers it's exit 194 off of I-26 where the body was found, S'Ville exit is 199... 5 miles from exit to exit, much closer from the actual town limit line... and yes DorchCo does have jurisdiction there, as well as state HP

no offense OTC but I'm not sure where you're from, but you might want to take a look at a map and see where you actually are...

Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM

193 posts, read 394,437 times
Berkeley County Sheriff's office is the one investigating, not Dorchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area