Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM

48 posts, read 255,895 times

Advertisements

Is West Ashley about to grow into possibly the next Mt. Pleasant? I have heard yes and that it is getting a new shopping center that is supposed to be bigger and better than what Mt. Pleasant has and that if wanting to get a house cheap that will be worth alot later, this is the place. I have also heard that West Ashley is lacking and will always be. I have even heard it called "West Trashley". Any help on this would be great....looking to move to Charleston in next few months and looking at 3 areas. West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant and Cainhoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 09:26 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,328 times
If you are considering moving and purchasing a home in the Charleston area, the cost and size of a home that you would like/need and whether schools are important will dictate to some degree whether West Ashley, Cainhoy or Mt. Pleasant might be the best option. I have always been a strong supporter of Mt. Pleasant because of it's location, good schools, relatively low crime rate, shopping, restaurants and geographic diversification of it's residents. Cainhoy is somewhat isolated with light industrial complexes surrounding the new communities. The test scores of the elementary and middle schools are quite low.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 AM

153 posts, read 769,376 times
To answer your original question, yes, WA stands to be the next hotspot since Mt. P has really grown, with resulting growing pains. The town of Mt. P has basically put a cap on housing permits in the recent years, and many residents are starting to feel that the town is full.

The city of Chas is working on approval and annexation in WA for a subdivision, Long Savannah, that would add a city park, a county recreation park, and 3,900 homes! Currently, just a few miles closer to the urban center, Carolina Bay is being built WA with 1,500 homes. That is over 5,000 homes that will be built in the next 5 years. WA has been called "West Trashley" primarily by many who live in Mt. P, only because it has older areas than Mt. P...WA was the original site of one of the first settlements in the US, after all. The crime in this section of the city is low, there are plenty of schools that have good to excellent ratings, and the area has the largest mall in the metro area. As you said, more developments are being built for additional shopping and restaurants. I highly recommend moving to my old stomping grounds!

While Cainhoy is the "last frontier" of the city of Chas, it is still largely undeveloped. You would still have to drive in considerable traffic to Mt. P or the north area for most of your shopping and dining needs. While Daniel Island does have some amenities, it too is relatively new...DI/Cainhoy will probably become one of the premier centers of commerce in the Chas area in about 10 years.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 10,898 times
Do you find west ashley is still a good place today as it is now 2011. I was planning on moving there the beginning of july.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
Yes it is....

Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,799 times
Ive been in North Charleston for over 40 years, and If I had to move it would be to West Ashley. I like it there. The LAST place I would live would be Mt Pleasant......................

Old 01-12-2012, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 10,134 times
Regarding West Ashley, is the Ashley River Creative Arts Elementary School as good on the inside as it looks on the outside?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 AM

6 posts, read 14,932 times
Smithrep...all areas are great areas, it just depends on what you are looking for. I have lived in WA, Mt.P, and DI...they each have unique qualities.

to help with the pricing part of the question...
median $/square foot in WA - $106 & $108 (2 different areas of West Ashley)
median $/square foot in Mt.P - $138 & $157 (same)

the tendancy is the closer to Downtown Charleston, the higher price

Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston native View Post
To answer your original question, yes, WA stands to be the next hotspot since Mt. P has really grown, with resulting growing pains. The town of Mt. P has basically put a cap on housing permits in the recent years, and many residents are starting to feel that the town is full.

The city of Chas is working on approval and annexation in WA for a subdivision, Long Savannah, that would add a city park, a county recreation park, and 3,900 homes! Currently, just a few miles closer to the urban center, Carolina Bay is being built WA with 1,500 homes. That is over 5,000 homes that will be built in the next 5 years. WA has been called "West Trashley" primarily by many who live in Mt. P, only because it has older areas than Mt. P...WA was the original site of one of the first settlements in the US, after all. The crime in this section of the city is low, there are plenty of schools that have good to excellent ratings, and the area has the largest mall in the metro area. As you said, more developments are being built for additional shopping and restaurants. I highly recommend moving to my old stomping grounds!

While Cainhoy is the "last frontier" of the city of Chas, it is still largely undeveloped. You would still have to drive in considerable traffic to Mt. P or the north area for most of your shopping and dining needs. While Daniel Island does have some amenities, it too is relatively new...DI/Cainhoy will probably become one of the premier centers of commerce in the Chas area in about 10 years.
Excellent post! I agree...West Ashley (West of the Ashley) has wonderful older neighborhoods with a lot of character and charm and also has upscale new neighborhoods. It is centrally located so that within 15 minutes you can be downtown Charleston, to a beach, or to major shopping centers and malls and Tanger Outlet. I am very partial to Shadowmoss Subdivision which has beautiful homes (and NOT cookie cutter), large yards, mature trees, tennis, golf, walking paths, etc. I live on Johns Island in the country, but if I were to move, it would be to West Ashley or back to James Island. I am a 28-year resident of the Charleston area so I have seen many changes take place. West Ashley has always been a good place to live and raise children.....as is James Island. Good luck in your decision making.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,245 times
We just purchased a property in West Ashley. It is in a cookie cutter subdivision (at least this area of it) buuut....we had a very limited budget.

Of all the places we looked, West Ashley looked like South Carolina to us.

I currently live in the Chicagland area. All the places short of downtown, and the beach communities, look just like suburbs here in the midwest (yes, diehards, there are exceptions) until you get over to Johns Island and West Ashley.

We loved the island feel of Johns Island, and the feel of West Ashley is just what we were after. The higher your budget, the better it gets.

For us, it was only one choice, West Ashley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area