Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 07:56 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times

Advertisements

Updated downtown Charleston residential/mixed use developments list with updates bolded:

1. 172 President St (? Floors)
2. 96 President St (5 floors)
3. 190-198 Spring St (Poinsette) (5 floors)
4. 26-28 Woolfe St (10 floors) Under construction
5. 601 Meeting St (7 floors) BAR Review 1/27/16 final approval
6. 511-519 Meeting St
7. 99 Westedge St (was 180 Lockwood) (7 floors) BAR review 1/27/16 final approval
8. 10 Westedge St (was 382 Spring St) (8 floors)
9. 524/528/538 Meeting St (5 floors)
10. 310-322 Broad St (Jasper Project - 13 or 14 floors) BAR Review 6/22/16 Conceptual approval
11. 655 East Bay St (4 Floors)
12. Federal & Concord Condos (6 floors)
13. Laurens & Concord Condos (5 floors) BAR Review 6/22/16 Preliminary approval
14. 55 Romney St (6 floors) BAR Review 6/22/16 Conceptual approval
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 01:09 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Is this really going to happen this time?

$1B Lorelei project in Charleston 18 months from breaking ground; developers begin seeking input for ideas - Post and Courier

This would really jazz up the north end of town. The water front restaurants would be nice.
For all the water that's around here there's few restaurants overlooking any water.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post

$1B Lorelei project in Charleston 18 months from breaking ground; developers begin seeking input for ideas - Post and Courier

This would really jazz up the north end of town. The water front restaurants would be nice.
For all the water that's around here there's few restaurants overlooking any water.
If the economy stays on track, that end of town will be hopping in 5 years or so.

"A fan of the proposed development, he believes almost all of Charleston’s office district will migrate to the upper peninsula over the next decade..."

I don't know if "almost all" is right but that area is ripe for a thriving business district to manifest. Again I wonder if the "really large tech employer" is a pipe dream or not. I ask about our "Silicon Harbor" dream whenever I get to talking to someone in the tech industry here, and across the board I hear that it's real and happening. I know that several in the tech community here on the forum have a skeptical view but I have the feeling that Charleston's high tech community is in the early stages of becoming at least a minor powerhouse.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:26 AM

268 posts, read 281,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
If the economy stays on track, that end of town will be hopping in 5 years or so.

"A fan of the proposed development, he believes almost all of Charleston’s office district will migrate to the upper peninsula over the next decade..."

I don't know if "almost all" is right but that area is ripe for a thriving business district to manifest. Again I wonder if the "really large tech employer" is a pipe dream or not. I ask about our "Silicon Harbor" dream whenever I get to talking to someone in the tech industry here, and across the board I hear that it's real and happening. I know that several in the tech community here on the forum have a skeptical view but I have the feeling that Charleston's high tech community is in the early stages of becoming at least a minor powerhouse.
If the economy stays on track the whole metro will be hopping.

With Laurel Island, Ingleside, Nexton (which is adding a Starbucks next to the ALE House, and the Nexton Town Center will be a huge area), the "New Downtown" thing they wanna add on International Dr.

There's a lot of potential for things, this area needede stuff like this, it's lacking in the young fun department.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:58 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Didn't make the list....

Small tech hubs: Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Nashville, and New Orleans want your startup | VentureBeat | Entrepreneur | by Patrick Finan, Loupe

Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
The "upscale apartment" part with no mention of housing for all income levels doesn't exactly jive with recent discussions and articles about Charleston's need to solve its housing affordability crisis so that the goose that laid the golden egg isn't eventually killed. Maybe the public discussions will include the notion that this development can and should include housing for everyone from the wealthy to the impoverished.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:10 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post

In full agreement, but talk has been in the works for at lease 10 to 12 years. May have been a different developer, but it sure will be nice.
Now if and when this happens and the hottie totties down around Market Street get their wish, and move the cruise terminal to the Columbus Street area, then these people will raise cane.
That's why I say Drum Island is "The" place for a new cruise terminal. Out of the way of all neighbors.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:38 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The "upscale apartment" part with no mention of housing for all income levels doesn't exactly jive with recent discussions and articles about Charleston's need to solve its housing affordability crisis so that the goose that laid the golden egg isn't eventually killed. Maybe the public discussions will include the notion that this development can and should include housing for everyone from the wealthy to the impoverished.
To be fair I think they refer to all new apartments as "upscale" for marketing purposes. I once lived in a "luxury apartment" that later turned into condos retailing for $20-30k.

If you flood the market with housing eventually the prices come down.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:17 AM

105 posts, read 95,507 times
Charleston is experiencing the same urban growth spurt as nearly every other city in the US.

Every city in the country is investing in thier downtown and urban/mixed use suburbs because that's where people with money to spend (often single or without kids) want to live and it's where businesses want to be located.

The idea from an economic perspective is that if you can attract smart wealthy people with an awesome downtown lifestyle then you can attract smart wealthy companies, in technology or otherwise.

It's extremely well-documented Trend that can be seen from Columbus, Ohio to Tacoma, Washington.

Charleston's challenge is that downtown can't grow out much more, and the overwhelming majority of the metro area is residential-only suburbs. On top of the fact that wages are significantly less than other metros of it's size. Add in the fact that much of downtown property is either second homes or investment properties, it makes ownership downtown much, much more difficult and expensive than comparable cities.

You create a downtown that isn't owned by those you live and work in Charleston.

I know a ton of smart people who, if they get priced out of downtown aren't sticking around Charleston when they can earn more and enjoy a downtown lifestyle elsewhere.

Last edited by chs9000; 06-29-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 AM

678 posts, read 799,728 times
I could very well be wrong, but I don't see tech taking off really in Charleston due mostly to space issues. Also, another subtle but real reason is the vibe is sort of wrong I think. Tech people can be very finicky and if I had to guess, Charleston imo is probably too "southern" and "quaint" for most big time (or hopeful big time) tech people. Think about it. How is a big tech person going to fit in with folks like those from, say, Southern Charm? They and the Charleston blue blood elites don't really like or want powerful outsiders coming to Charleston. How would a tech person relate to these people? To be honest, I think you're probably better off without a lot of tech money. There's a lot more stability I think in the industries you're already doing a great job of pulling in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area