Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 06:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Don't under estimate the "build it and they will come" approach. It seems to work everywhere else. Initial investment and local support in infrastructure is the biggest hurdle.
And they are trying:

Charleston Digital Corridor launching after-school CODEcamp - Post and Courier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 09:39 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Don't under estimate the "build it and they will come" approach. It seems to work everywhere else. Initial investment and local support in infrastructure is the biggest hurdle.
That may well be a valid approach. I just don't see any plans in place to make that happen anytime in the near future, hence my comment about not seeing anything for ~20 years.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:41 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
A "PetSmart coming soon" banner is now on the front of the space being rehabbed next to the Bi-Lo Super Store on Folly Road.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:55 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
A "PetSmart coming soon" banner is now on the front of the space being rehabbed next to the Bi-Lo Super Store on Folly Road.
I would have liked to see something a little more interesting/appealing.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:14 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I would have liked to see something a little more interesting/appealing.
People in the area with pets who like PetSmart should find it to be both.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:25 PM

43 posts, read 35,850 times
I am not really sure what the negatives are to having more tech jobs, or even becoming a full fledged tech hub. I would worry more about the tourist hospitality industry which has a lot more negatives. The trickle down economics of the tourist industry are not great and the cultural growth from tourism is often the opposite, a sort of Disneyland dulling of everything...

San Francisco is a cautionary tale for renters - the homeowners are doing great. I can't see a reason why you would not buy in the Charleston area today - like on Tuesday after the 4th - in that even if it appreciates at CPI you are waaay leveraged with a loan. 2% yearly increase on the NET amount, which compounds, is huge, and the property tax and interest is 100% tax deductible. In a rising market with limited supply and no rent control, not buying makes zero sense to me.

Until you have lived in a tech hub is hard to describe the energy and feeling of opportunity. Its pretty great. The idea that you are stuck in a caste system of what your parents did or the town industry or macro-economic forces out of your control sort of melt away. You start to understand that globalism is a huge asset that now you are selling to folks in Indonesia, South Africa, Russia, etc. Tech is the American story of the late 20th century and early 21st century, and being a part of it is worth it in my opinion.

The name of our system is capitalism, so whether we want to play the game or not, we are playing

That all said, the rest of the country can look at the SF Bay Area for cues on the successes and screw-ups, so that is an advantage for cities like Charleston, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You dont want tech to start flooding anyway. Everyone only looks at the positives its brought to San Francisco, but theres some real negatives as well. Negatives Charlestonians definately dont want.

Last edited by ethanm31; 07-03-2016 at 06:34 PM..

Old 07-03-2016, 06:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
You don't have to live in the city with the headquarters. Remote jobs are common. From what I have heard -- lots of folks working tech jobs here but not for companies that have offices here. The other folks meet them at different kinds of venues and such. It's a different kind of industry........I don't think it will ever be like out west but that doesn't matter. If we can keep Charleston charm and have some of it....it's all good right?

Old 07-05-2016, 12:02 AM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
The mega-developments; 11 locations, 78,000 homes, 200,000 people - Post and Courier

The most interesting tidbit I saw is that WestRock, the group behind Nexton and a few other mega-developments is likely to buy the land the Magnolia development will be on.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:30 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
So it's Publix coming to WestEdge:

Publix to anchor new WestEdge building on Charleston peninsula - Post and Courier

Old 07-05-2016, 02:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Thats awesome. Now peninsula residents wont have to shoot to over yo JI ot MtP to get their Publix fix. And itll give Teeter some better competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area