Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 PM

422 posts, read 486,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Ah. Well actually, it is. If the MAJORITY of homes in N. Charleston are serviced by the N. Charleston schools (which are not very good in comparison to surrounding districts), then it would be more accurate to say that a small section of N. Charleston is able to attend the better Dorchester schools.

Actually it isn't. The person simply said that there are good areas in N. Charleston. Not that the majority of N. Charleston is "good" or that the majority is located in Dorchester county. You're clearly twisting things to make an argument about something that's not being argued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM

422 posts, read 486,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Kind of like it is MISLEADING to say that people should "avoid North Charleston" because of this that or the other as opposed to telling people to "avoid certain parts of North Charleston"?

Please define what percentages of students/homeowners constitutes 'small section' ... I'd really like to know what leg you're standing on because it looks from here like it's a balsa wood toothpick.

What I find completely bizarre is the logic on the display. The premise is that there are good areas of North Charleston so it is quite flawed and condescending to say "avoid all of North Charleston." Their counter is to acknowledge the good areas of North Charleston while simultaneously say there aren't good areas of N. Charleston because those areas were annexed and are located in "D" county and not in NC county (which doesn't actually exist). Ok...

Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Bulldogrsp61,

Look at the following map of Dorchester County:

http://www.city-data.com/county/Dorc...County-SC.html

Is it unfair to say that MOST of N. Charleston lies outside of Dorchester County and that MOST of the children in N. Charleston would attend schools zoned for North Charleston?

For example, in my area, (where school districts are not by County but have rather haphazardly drawn lines) one of the #1 school districts in the country, Jericho, abuts the Hicksville SD. A very small section of the town of Hicksville falls inside the Jericho line. The Hicksville homes on the Jericho side of the line command higher prices than those on the Hicksville side. MOST of Hicksville is blue collar, high low-income with lots of commercial property. MOST of Jericho SD is residential, upper-middle class to very wealthy estates.

I can understand your defensiveness of your home, but as someone looking to move to the area, you have to understand that MOST of N. Charleston is NOT in Dorchester or Berkley Counties. If I had to wager a percentage, I would say maybe 20% of N. Charleston homes are not zoned for North Charleston schools.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:53 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,463 times
Quote:
Bulldogrsp61,

Look at the following map of Dorchester County:

http://www.city-data.com/county/Dorc...County-SC.html

Is it unfair to say that MOST of N. Charleston lies outside of Dorchester County and that MOST of the children in N. Charleston would attend schools zoned for North Charleston?

For example, in my area, (where school districts are not by County but have rather haphazardly drawn lines) one of the #1 school districts in the country, Jericho, abuts the Hicksville SD. A very small section of the town of Hicksville falls inside the Jericho line. The Hicksville homes on the Jericho side of the line command higher prices than those on the Hicksville side. MOST of Hicksville is blue collar, high low-income with lots of commercial property. MOST of Jericho SD is residential, upper-middle class to very wealthy estates.

I can understand your defensiveness of your home, but as someone looking to move to the area, you have to understand that MOST of N. Charleston is NOT in Dorchester or Berkley Counties. If I had to wager a percentage, I would say maybe 20% of N. Charleston homes are not zoned for North Charleston schools.
Since you DON'T live here and seem to be missing the point let me be the first to enlighten you ...

... YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIVE IN DORCHESTER COUNTY TO LIVE IN A NICE AREA IN NORTH CHARLESTON ...

That is a complete and utter falsehood based on biases dating back a decade or more.

North Charleston isn't what it was 15 or even 10 years ago. This ignorant stereotyping of it is a grave misjustice to those looking for a nice place to live where they don't have to pay 600k-900k for a home and are not allowed to leave a car parked in their driveway without registration.

And I will go a step further and say that this ongoing nay-saying about NC schools is also a disservice. Do NC schools have the highest standardized test scores etc etc? No. Do students that attend NC schools make good grades and graduate every year? Yes.

A good school is a great thing. A great school is even better. But ... A) You don't have to have the best school to graduate with a 4.0 GPA and go on to be a successful, positive contributor to humanity .... and B) a lot of what a student gets out of school has to do with what he/she puts into it. Not to mention that a new B-average student is not going to attend NCHS for the first time as a new student their senior year and suddenly fail to graduate BECAUSE they attended NCHS.

So unless you are saying that ALL of North Charleston is a slum and ALL of North Charleston teachers are disgusting slobs who don't care about their students, I suggest you start using words like 'parts of North Charleston' and 'some students'.

... because this wide brush you are painting North Charleston with as a whole is an insult to every citizen and/or leader that works hard everyday to build the city up and make it a great, affordable place to live. Like it or not you are disseminating misleading and often completely false information to a VERY large audience and hampering the efforts of the city to improve it's image by dissuading would-be new citizens from living here.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
N. Charleston high grad rate: 43%

Burke high grade rate: 53%

Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
N. Charleston high grad rate: 43%

Burke high grade rate: 53%

So those kids don't count?

Must be the teachers and faculty.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
And I will go a step further and say that this ongoing nay-saying about NC schools is also a disservice
A disservice? I beg to differ. If a certain school system, I don't care if its in SC, NY or CA, is severely under-performing compared to surrounding school districts, there's a REASON. You seem to want to walk around with a sign that says, "Everything is OK!" and turn a blind eye to what's wrong. These are PUBLIC schools, paid for with U.S. taxdollars and are pits of ignorance and social justice indoctrination where minorities and ALL kids are dumbed down and taught to be victims instead of productive members of society. N. Charleston High's "mission", through its adoption of the International Baccalaureate program, is to produce global citizens.

Would you like to see what your taxdollars (approx. $200,000 per year) are being spent on in N. Charleston HS? Because this, to me, is absolutely disgusting. Of course, you are free to feel differently, but this is directly from the IB 2010 Conference of the Americas:

http://blogs.ibo.org/conferenceameri...al-Citizen.pdf

That's why only 43% graduate from N. Charleston High.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Oh dear. I see Berkley HS is ALSO IB!

International Baccalaureate

International Baccalaureate

AND James Island! International Baccalaureate

Good grief, you folks have an IB infestation down there! I know they are fighting it in Hilton Head.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM

183 posts, read 356,719 times
Please give up the indoctrination angle... For most kids it's just about a more rigorous preparation for college. The only real complaint I heard about the IB program was that its benefits did not outweigh the work required compared to Advanced Placement programs or taking college classes for transferable credit. Most of the people I knew in IB were conservative-minded, teachers included. Some AP classes even faced opposition for supposed liberal influences, such as US History where one of the required books was by *gasp* Howard Zinn! The material in that book was taught in a fair and objective manner by one of my favorite teachers, a conservative who called the US civil war the War of Northern Aggression. The IB US History teacher was a conservative as well.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
A disservice? I beg to differ. If a certain school system, I don't care if its in SC, NY or CA, is severely under-performing compared to surrounding school districts, there's a REASON. You seem to want to walk around with a sign that says, "Everything is OK!" and turn a blind eye to what's wrong. These are PUBLIC schools, paid for with U.S. taxdollars and are pits of ignorance and social justice indoctrination where minorities and ALL kids are dumbed down and taught to be victims instead of productive members of society. N. Charleston High's "mission", through its adoption of the International Baccalaureate program, is to produce global citizens.

Would you like to see what your taxdollars (approx. $200,000 per year) are being spent on in N. Charleston HS? Because this, to me, is absolutely disgusting. Of course, you are free to feel differently, but this is directly from the IB 2010 Conference of the Americas:

http://blogs.ibo.org/conferenceameri...al-Citizen.pdf

That's why only 43% graduate from N. Charleston High.
Did you hit your head or something? Also .. did the IB personally offend you in some way? Because you sure seem to rail against it every chance you get.

I've never turned a blind eye to anything about North Charleston. I know there are low-performing schools and I know there are areas you don't walk around at night.

But you don't get to say all of North Charleston as a whole should be avoided because of that.

Now go get your little IB voodoo doll and get back to sticking pins in it.

ROFLMAO at the insinuation that the IB is to blame for low-performing schools. That is just too much .. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area