Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:40 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
Going to the beach and just sit quietly is a great way to spend time. Scdreamer you made me think of the movie Funny Face with Audrey Hepburn. She went to Paris so she could be with the Bohemian crowd discussing existentialism. By the end of the movie she found out how fake the leader of the group is.

Living in a vibrant city like Charleston, who in their right mind wants to sit all day long in a dang coffee shop. I would rather go explore the city and enjoy my life.
Yes, exactly! Be a "doer", not someone who sits around talking about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 06:26 PM

58 posts, read 238,138 times
Default So, so, true

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarynO View Post
I grew up around Boston...a city which I love, but his posts are giving me flash backs, lol. I find the folks from Southie much more entertaining than those from Harvard Square....he could definitely find his element in Bean-town, but he better not fondle the fruit in Haymarket!
we are do a building at MIT right now (Kendall Squ) and i do enjoy the folks there. they are marching to the beat of a different drummer. BUT! Those folks are not pretenders! They are what they are. And I am sure you will agree - are BRILLIANT (MIT FOLK) (close to Harvard square).

I struggle with left and right and they are putting rovers on Mars.

To them they are doing what comes natural, contemplating 24 hrs a day.

not 9-5 in our word and them become intellectuals.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 PM

123 posts, read 571,255 times
I moved to Charleston almost a year ago from NYC. I've found a positive and healing environment here. I go for walks on the beach at Sullivans or stare at the big sea at the end of the Folly pier in the mornings, get intellectual support from mentors and colleagues at work, and spend time with new friends on the peninsula and on my back patio in North Charleston. All in the same day. I've also written some of my best poetry since moving here. My advice to anyone thinking about moving here: visit first, do your homework, leave the attitude at the state line.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,896 times
I used to want to move to NYC and be on Broadway as an actress. But, I never could make the move because it takes a certain personality to survive the crowds and everything. I like a slower more peaceful pace of life. The ocean always did it for me. When I lived in LA I would go driving up Pacific Coast Hwy just to see the Pacific Ocean.

I have been doing my research online and through reading books about Charleston. My favorites place area on FireFox is crammed full of sites. When I moved to LA at 20 I did very little research just packed and went. I wanted adventure. It was a different day and time and I wouldn't advocate it for anyone especially today. I love the fact that Charleston has kept its history and not torn down wonderful old buildings like most cities do. I agree about leaving the attitude at the state line. Moving to a new place should be an adventure and exciting. If you want everything to be like it was back home, why move. Stay where you are but if you are willing to leave all that behind and discover new friends and adventures by all means move. I can't wait until I am able to pack up and move to Charleston.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
We are moving to Charleston -- husband has been there for over a year already...but I would LOVE to live in Manhattan for some time. I can't imagine what it would be like.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,896 times
I can't imagine what it would be like to NOT have to own a car. I love to walk and NYC is a place to walk. I have no problems with public transportation. I don't have the Type A NYC personality that you always want to be on the go at top speed but I could adapt. The one thing that unless I win the big lottery will make living in NYC a dream is what people pay for rent. Apartments the size of closets go for a couple thousand a month. I would rather find a nice place in Charleston for a lot less.

I haven't given up my dream of doing a Broadway play. I know people who live elsewhere and just go to NYC to audition for things a couple times a year.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:09 AM

123 posts, read 571,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
I can't imagine what it would be like to NOT have to own a car. I love to walk and NYC is a place to walk. I have no problems with public transportation. I don't have the Type A NYC personality that you always want to be on the go at top speed but I could adapt. The one thing that unless I win the big lottery will make living in NYC a dream is what people pay for rent. Apartments the size of closets go for a couple thousand a month. I would rather find a nice place in Charleston for a lot less.
NYC is full of people like you and me: regular folk who struggle to make it day to day. The difference is that it is a crowded city. Often the density becomes such a routine that the stress of dealing with such seemingly mundane things such as moving from place to place isn't immediately apparent. Public transit is a byproduct of this density, an often necessary evil, which can too often be a big pain in the . . . But that's for another thread in another forum.

Charleston is a little less expensive and much less crowded. It's also definately easier to connect with some intelligent and talented people. There's some decent theatre here too.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
There's not much of an alternative crowd in CHS. There's a cute alternative movie house over on James Island (or is it West Ashley?) and a few cute shops on Maybank -- that's probably what you're looking for. Charleston isn't big enough to support a large alternative area. There are cool interesting artsy people -- it's just hard to find them. Burns Downs is a cute neighborhood and probably has some interesting peeps living there. Good luck! Don't let these other people get you down. They don't speak to "southern hospitality" very well...

Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 AM

379 posts, read 1,418,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcevoy34 View Post
we are do a building at MIT right now (Kendall Squ) and i do enjoy the folks there. they are marching to the beat of a different drummer. BUT! Those folks are not pretenders! They are what they are. And I am sure you will agree - are BRILLIANT (MIT FOLK) (close to Harvard square).

I struggle with left and right and they are putting rovers on Mars.

To them they are doing what comes natural, contemplating 24 hrs a day.

not 9-5 in our word and them become intellectuals.
Hey...I love all things Boston, but plenty of people take the subway into Harvard Sq. to "contemplate"....nothing to do with the brilliance of MIT...yes the more I think about it...I think he could find his niche in Boston...not to insult Boston.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:29 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
There's not much of an alternative crowd in CHS. There's a cute alternative movie house over on James Island (or is it West Ashley?) and a few cute shops on Maybank -- that's probably what you're looking for. Charleston isn't big enough to support a large alternative area. There are cool interesting artsy people -- it's just hard to find them. Burns Downs is a cute neighborhood and probably has some interesting peeps living there. Good luck! Don't let these other people get you down. They don't speak to "southern hospitality" very well...
It's really hard to demonstrate Southern Hospitality to someone who refers to your culture, family, and friends as "simple minded".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area