Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 PM

583 posts, read 592,933 times

Advertisements

Like how you are thinking. I would encourage you to share that with city hall/CURA but they would probably look at you like just hopped out of a spaceship. Or maybe it would be like the natives seeing Columbus' arrival. They just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 03:03 AM

146 posts, read 166,265 times
it would be great if they could get Simon to buy the mall. They do great things with their properties. They have really done big things with both Ross Park and South Hills Village Malls in Pittsburgh. They revitalize, reinvest, and bring a total new flare and style to the former "been there done that" property.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:17 AM

An investor like that would be great. My major concern is that with the current situation that Charleston is in that there may not be an investor willing to come and take the risk.

You take a place that keeps losing population and has no plan in place for growth and combine that with the invasion of vagrants and increasing crime. That's not a good place to invest in.

I was at the mall yesterday. It has the feel of a place that's on it's last legs just like Sears and Kmart are/were when I went in those stores.

And whoever made the decision to put the carpeted squares down on the second floor should be fired. Looks horrible.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:09 AM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
An investor like that would be great. My major concern is that with the current situation that Charleston is in that there may not be an investor willing to come and take the risk.

You take a place that keeps losing population and has no plan in place for growth and combine that with the invasion of vagrants and increasing crime. That's not a good place to invest in.

I was at the mall yesterday. It has the feel of a place that's on it's last legs just like Sears and Kmart are/were when I went in those stores.

And whoever made the decision to put the carpeted squares down on the second floor should be fired. Looks horrible.

John, you are a man after my heart. I hate those peel and stick carpet tiles as well and you are right the mall feels like a funeral parlor.

The city, in it's infinite wisdom has just decided that there is nothing wrong enough to change our current policy regarding the homeless situation. I actually think that term is inaccurate, vagrant situation is a better descriptor. There are enough studies out there to prove Charleston's current policy is the wrong one. Vagrants are well-traveled it seems, moving to locales that offer more and more services catering to their vagabond lifestyle. The testimony from the police officers of the CPD states clearly they know which of the homeless are locals and which are not, which is the vast majority. The locals, from what I am told and have read of, do not seem to cause an issue and are using the services provided as intended. However, the others are the reverse.

We will not see a change in the city with any of the pressing concerns until Mayor Jones is gone and even then, we have 2 other heads of the evil beast that will remain. The All-powerful hydra known as the County Commissioners office and the collection of self-inflated dunderheads we call the city council. I can't complain too loudly as I believe a people that continues to elect this sort into office deserves all the ill will that goes along with that selection.

If we randomly picked people off the street and placed them all in the various offices of the city, we would be light years ahead of the follies by the current representation. It is a shame too, Charleston once had what I thought was a model group of representatives, but they died out and these wannabes moved into the void and the city has gone down hill ever since. Danny Jones was not the start of the slide but he has been a poor mayor at best.

With the mall in receivership it will do much better but it is going to be a while and the operating authority could decide that CTC is too far gone and begin the end phase of its existence. I can't imagine anyone in government would allow that too happen but when we look out at some of their other genius-level decisions, could we truly be surprised if that did come to pass?

Charleston has a population problem because of the County Commission. If they loose residents to the city they loose revenue. Pretty simple problem there. The city is actually making life worse for itself when it co-locates and works with the county, taking on the burden of running a county on the city ledger. It is a parasitic relationship and both the leech and the host are dying as a result.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
it would be great if they could get Simon to buy the mall. They do great things with their properties. They have really done big things with both Ross Park and South Hills Village Malls in Pittsburgh. They revitalize, reinvest, and bring a total new flare and style to the former "been there done that" property.
I'm not sure Simon is in acquisition mode for traditional mall properties. They seem to be more focused on expanding their outlet center portfolio.

It'll probably be a challenge to find a quality buyer unless its super cheap. I know PREIT sold Crossroads Mall in Beckley for $25M last year to some outfit out of Long Neck NY called Namdar Realty Group.

If I were to guess, it'll likely be bought by local investors or bought by a 2nd class REIT like Washington Prime.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 AM

I will be shocked if anyone buys it all. Any potential investor that looks at the demographics and economics of CRW would be wise to put their money someplace else. Unless Charleston gets some new leadership with a vision and a plan for growth and development there is no reason to pour money into a sinking ship. CURA probably needs cleaned out as well. Investors if they ask what's the plan for growth and what's the plan for development to go along with our investment will probably be shocked at the answers they get. Even Huntington has a plan. Don't know if it will work but having one is a big step. Charleston is like a ship with no captain and no rudder right now. Hard to believe that the city got to this point and the blame everything on Amazon song and dance from city leadership is getting really old especially when retail appears to be doing much better in other regional cities around Charleston. Beckley, Parkersburg, Huntington and the Clarksburg area are not looking like this.

I think for the most part people in Charleston are really clueless about the rest of the state (not just talking about state government) and there's been a lot of ignorance and arrogance about how great Charleston is by people that do not have a clue what goes on outside of the hills that enclose the valley.

Last edited by JohnNada; 01-17-2018 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Added some more

Old 01-18-2018, 07:28 AM

Was at the mall yesterday. Talked to some folks in different stores. Some said mall was at 75% capacity or below. Apparently that’s contractually some kind of big deal.

Was told of more closings on the horizon. Also in one store that is one of the tops in sales for the chain so not everyone is doing poorly.

It’s a mixed bag but not looking all that great. Everyone I talked to expressed extreme frustration and dissapointment with the mall ownership and the city. Not that this is shocking information.

Plenty of vagrants sitting around Starbucks at center court. Saw more security than ever before.

Mixed bag of things I guess overall.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
A new manager has been appointed for the CTC Mall.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/busine...cbc613c88.html

Old 01-24-2018, 02:43 PM

652 posts, read 749,584 times
What would it take to move these businesses out into other vacant space downtown?

Old 01-24-2018, 02:53 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
What would it take to move these businesses out into other vacant space downtown?
If they wanted to move out, they'd most likely open up stores out Southridge or in Kanawha City. Most of the stores in the CTC are not suitable for downtown unless a larger number of folks started utilizing Capital And Summers St for more than work and dining.

The CTC is almost too big for the city to allow to fail, unfortunately it will continue to lose stores unless so dramatic steps are taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston