Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 06:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
...what I was looking for was people who feel like they don't fit and their stories of how they either love to flaunt it or try to hide it and if it is an issue to them or a source of pride...
Care to answer that question yourself? I've been trying to extract what is causing you to not feel like you fit in for several posts now and you don't seem to want to play? Maybe I'm just doing a poor job of asking the question?

WHY do you feel like you don't fit in? WHAT, specifically, do you wish you could do/say/display that you think you'll be ostracized for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
This thread is so cryptic. I don't get it. But I am trying, lol.

Here is my story. I grew up here and couldn't wait to leave cause I thought no one was sophisticated enough for me to blossom, growing amongst such ignorant folks.

Note - I said "ignorant" - meaning, uninformed.

I was an artist, a painter, a photographer, a writer. I was into yoga and for a while, macrobiotic food. I composed music. I designed and sewed my own clothing. My dream was to grow lavender in France, lol.

But I also liked the Wednesday nite buffet at the Country Club, hee hee.

I wanted my children to be cosmopolitan and have their brilliance nourished by the rich world around them.

Funny thing . . . life kept me here for two decades longer than I had planned. But during that time, I was able to not only explore everything from professional writing, photography, and graphic arts . . . but also music (I am a liturgical organist and pianist), yoga, transcendental meditation, etc. I was able to do every single thing I wanted to do - right here. And I formed wonderful friendships as well as professional relationships with others pursuing interesting topics, professions and avocations.

I published my work. I established several businesses.

I moved and found that people are people everywhere and no matter where I went, there were others who were fun to be around, who shared my interests.

I just had to look.

I moved back to NC in 2002 and my impression of things here is totally different than yours, Lily. It's all here. If I had been born in 1990 instead of decades earlier, I would never have felt I needed to leave the area.

You just have to go find what it is you are interested in. The universe has a way of putting us in contact with all the things we cherish if we just get out there.

Be yourself and others will be drawn to you if they have similar interests.

Of course, I am assuming you are not an obnoxious, condescending know-it-all. No one is gonna want to be around someone like that - conformist or non-conformist.

Do your thing with a smile. Be open, kind and generous to others around you and you will find that the things you cherish most in life will find you.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 AM

299 posts, read 589,980 times
anifani821, thank you.
I am in the process of searching for like minded individuals. Now that my kids are not requiring of my every second, I can start focusing on this issue a little more. I am positive there are people here who I'll absolutely be over the moon for, but they need to stop hiding in their electricity devoid crawl spaces

Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This thread is so cryptic. I don't get it. But I am trying, lol.
+1

Either one is self-secure or not, who cares if they 'fit in'?

Just be yourself...

Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
anifani821, thank you.
I am in the process of searching for like minded individuals. Now that my kids are not requiring of my every second, I can start focusing on this issue a little more. I am positive there are people here who I'll absolutely be over the moon for, but they need to stop hiding in their electricity devoid crawl spaces
ROFL! I honestly don't think they are off the grid . . . (and I know you were kidding). But there are folks off the grid living very interesting lives in places outside of Charlotte.

One of my closest friends is like me . . . melds w/ those around her professionally, but she and her hubby have all sorts of interesting pursuits aside from their very fulfilling (and demanding) professions (she is a professional writer; he is a graphic artist). THey have friends all over the country and enjoy a lot of outdoors activities.

You are gonna find that many folks are into aromatherapy, feng shui, reiki, tai chi, pottery (and other ceramic arts), fibre art, sustainable living, etc . . . you are not having conversations about these topics so it isn't connecting. You just need to cross paths w/ those people and you will be surprised who is quietly going about doing "their thing" around here.

I took a lot of chances and opened random conversations when I moved back here and you would not believe the people who came into my life because of those chance meetings!

It is hard to adjust to a new place and I think that our lives are so geared to isolation these days . . . we are in our insular neighborhoods and focusing on taking care of kids . . . we often end up limiting our worlds so much b/c of the connections we automatically have in the neighborhood and schools. That can be great, b/c other people are always terrific resources (where to find the best pediatrician; what are the great restaurants in the area, etc) But sometimes we have to seek out others (art galleries; special interest classes).

I met one of my friends while buying goat cheese at a farmer's market. I started asking her about her cheese . . . turns out she had moved here from the NE, bought a home w/ a few acres of land, and was raising goats and making goat cheese - along with weaving, refinishing antiques, and playing in a local volunteer orchestra. Ya just never know who is out there . . .

Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
ROFL! I honestly don't think they are off the grid . . . (and I know you were kidding). But there are folks off the grid living very interesting lives in places outside of Charlotte.

One of my closest friends is like me . . . melds w/ those around her professionally, but she and her hubby have all sorts of interesting pursuits aside from their very fulfilling (and demanding) professions (she is a professional writer; he is a graphic artist). THey have friends all over the country and enjoy a lot of outdoors activities.

You are gonna find that many folks are into aromatherapy, feng shui, reiki, tai chi, pottery (and other ceramic arts), fibre art, sustainable living, etc . . . you are not having conversations about these topics so it isn't connecting. You just need to cross paths w/ those people and you will be surprised who is quietly going about doing "their thing" around here.

I took a lot of chances and opened random conversations when I moved back here and you would not believe the people who came into my life because of those chance meetings!

It is hard to adjust to a new place and I think that our lives are so geared to isolation these days . . . we are in our insular neighborhoods and focusing on taking care of kids . . . we often end up limiting our worlds so much b/c of the connections we automatically have in the neighborhood and schools. That can be great, b/c other people are always terrific resources (where to find the best pediatrician; what are the great restaurants in the area, etc) But sometimes we have to seek out others (art galleries; special interest classes).

I met one of my friends while buying goat cheese at a farmer's market. I started asking her about her cheese . . . turns out she had moved here from the NE, bought a home w/ a few acres of land, and was raising goats and making goat cheese - along with weaving, refinishing antiques, and playing in a local volunteer orchestra. Ya just never know who is out there . . .
ROFLMAO, which all goes back to what many of us keep saying. Talk to people when you are out. The worst thing that can happen is that you have a stray conversation. You might learn something or you might make a friend.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ROFLMAO, which all goes back to what many of us keep saying. Talk to people when you are out. The worst thing that can happen is that you have a stray conversation. You might learn something or you might make a friend.
Exactly! And I'm just being "me." I have never had anyone act offended - and I have made all sorts of connections just asking questions, lol!

The world is full of interesting, intelligent, artistic, witty folks.

When I was very young, I didn't have a clue - thought just b/c folks were not wearing their lives on their sleeves, that they must live in very small boring worlds.

Boy, was I wrong.

When I started as a reporter, I found myself drawn to writing human interest stories. Why? Cause I was absolutely fascinated with how many people around me were pursuing all sorts of amazing things that no one really knew about.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Exactly! And I'm just being "me." I have never had anyone act offended - and I have made all sorts of connections just asking questions, lol!

The world is full of interesting, intelligent, artistic, witty folks.

When I was very young, I didn't have a clue - thought just b/c folks were not wearing their lives on their sleeves, that they must live in very small boring worlds.

Boy, was I wrong.

When I started as a reporter, I found myself drawn to writing human interest stories. Why? Cause I was absolutely fascinated with how many people around me were pursuing all sorts of amazing things that no one really knew about.
It's like the old saying. You can't judge a book by it's cover.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 PM

299 posts, read 589,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's like the old saying. You can't judge a book by it's cover.
Apparently my cover is covered in w(h)ine.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:49 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Apparently my cover is covered in w(h)ine.

He, he,...what the world needs is more wine and less whine... right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte