Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 02:44 PM

299 posts, read 589,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
lol! I just sent you a pm with almost the same sentence...

lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM

81 posts, read 177,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The irony is you're proving the point that it's not a Charlotte issue with this statement... People tied to the Charlotte metro are sending you empathy which goes completely against all the whining you're doing about the handful of people you met IRL in Charlotte that "don't get you".

Since the "lumbollo attitude" is dwarfed by the response against him, the issue isn't the area... Your judgment and blame are obviously misplaced.
Being nice is completely different from accepting someone for who they are - i'll be the first one to admit that people in the the Charlotte area are very nice - but at the end of the day it's still not as friendly or open to diversity as Atlanta, Dallas or Houston - which are cities that Charlotte likes to compare its self to. You are far more likely in those cities for example to be yourself and have people not blink an eye.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:55 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
And I've thanked them for their empathy both on here and in their pms.
There is no irony. Lumbollo just doesn't like my take and is reacting against it. I just won't sit down and take it. I'm sorry if that offends you.
I'm new to this forum so don't know all the relationships that have been developed. I didn't come here to complain, as I've stated over and over...I came here to hear other people's stories. I've gotten some stories (THANK YOU to those who've responded) but I've also gotten static and been attacked for not drinking the koolaid. That kinds makes me feel like my original point has been proven
I've been put in my place by lumbollo over my time here so don't think for a second I'm defending him or anything of the sort... I just respect the right for people to post opinions here.

Unless all those PMs are telling you to "drink the koolaid", I don't think anything here has proven any point. That's the irony - you're getting overwhelming support from the people who are tied to this area. That goes against your OP.

In the end, I just can't believe you can look around to what is happening today - job losses, foreclosures and bankruptcies at all time highs, people struggling to make ends meet for their families... then decide the biggest issue in life is people "don't get me" and blaming it on a certain metropolitan area. I mean seriously - that really blows me mind.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:56 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam4884 View Post
Being nice is completely different from accepting someone for who they are - i'll be the first one to admit that people in the the Charlotte area are very nice - but at the end of the day it's still not as friendly or open to diversity as Atlanta, Dallas or Houston - which are cities that Charlotte likes to compare its self to. You are far more likely in those cities for example to be yourself and have people not blink an eye.
So go live in one of those cities? Am I missing something?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I've been put in my place by lumbollo over my time here so don't think for a second I'm defending him or anything of the sort... I just respect the right for people to post opinions here.

Unless all those PMs are telling you to "drink the koolaid", I don't think anything here has proven any point. That's the irony - you're getting overwhelming support from the people who are tied to this area. That goes against your OP.

In the end, I just can't believe you can look around to what is happening today - job losses, foreclosures and bankruptcies at all time highs, people struggling to make ends meet for their families... then decide the biggest issue in life is people "don't get me" and blaming it on a certain metropolitan area. I mean seriously - that really blows me mind.
This was my original post:

Do you feel like you don't fit in to what is considered "normal" in Charlotte, like you are a "freak"?
Does this bother you, or make you proud? Have you ever wanted an opportunity to Fly your Freak Flag, so to speak?

There seems to be a general culture of conformity here. Are you a conformist or an individualist?

I "look" like I belong, but feel like a martian.

Maybe I should switch my "biggest issue in life" to the lack of reading comprehension but what I was looking for was people who feel like they don't fit and their stories of how they either love to flaunt it or try to hide it and if it is an issue to them or a source of pride. Even my words "seems to be" lets the reader know that I'm not accusing the entire population of anything.
I don't understand the flurry against my original post. It seemed so innocuous,

Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
You are right on the money! It seems to me that most of it is about people who want to keep Charlotte a small conservative family town versus those who want to build a bigger, more cosmopolitan metropolis, I'm for the latter! There's no question that Charlotte is a diverse city, however, is it a diverse community? Studys have said that there is a lot of mistrust among the races, especially among black and white! It's good that there are a lot of integrated neighborhoods in Charlotte where people of different races and nationalities reside, but real diversity is when you are interacting among those groups regularly and not only at work! I'm not suggesting that you invite people over to your homes everyday, but it is important to get to know your neighbors more and finding out what each other's interests are and getting to understand your neighbors better. It shouldn't always be about assimilation and conformity, it should be about respecting each other's differences and beliefs and trying to come together to bridge those gaps that divide us; that is what builds a stronger, more diverse community! Charlotte has been more focused on business in the past, now it is time to focus more on building a community!
Thank you - I to am for the latter in trying to make Charlotte a bustling metropolitan, PROGRESSIVE, city. I know several people who feel this way and those were the ones I generally got a long with, LOL. Unfortunately many of the city leaders and powers that be in the Charlotte area just don't see it that way and from my understanding of the area even BOA and Wachovia have always tried to encourage city leaders to take a more progressive stance for the city. And I do think that if it were not for BOA, Wachovia and even US Airways Charlotte would be far less progressive than what it is now.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
So much.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yes you are - Charlotte city leaders continues to boast that it is this and that and they love to compare themselves with Atlanta the most - and in some ways they are on their way (corporations, US Airways hub) but ask any urban planner or academic scholar who studies the sociology of large cities and they will tell you that Charlotte lags far behind in being an open and welcome place for diversity.

And you missed the point of that post entirely btw, that people can be nice all day and all night, but that still doesn't mean that they are accepting of other people and that they expect everyone to conform to the white picket fence mentality.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
I don't understand the flurry against my original post.....
Of course you don't and you confuse disagreement as being emotionally hysterical. (flurry) You think it's everyone else that has issues, and their subscriptions are not yet up. It goes with the delusion that I stated earlier and which others confirm that you continue to prove.

I can see there is no further point in my participation in this topic, so add me to your list of Charlotte conformists who won't show you the respect that you believe that someone of your stature deserves.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:16 PM

Finally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte