Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I've noticed the same. I realize that it's probably more pronounced in my case since I'm visibly disabled, and have the combination of what many people rank as the "worst" disabilities in their mind, but even other people I know run into a lot of people who are very quick to assert their Christian faith and will outright ask you if you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Whether you do or don't isn't the point, but the fact that people come right up to you and ask you without a second thought. That shocked me, coming from the North, where people would at least get to know you first before delving into religion.

Like Whatsthenews said, most people just assume you share the same beliefs. They will pray in Jesus' name or invite you to their church without even asking if you're Christian first, let alone of the same sect. Again, whether you are or not isn't the point, but the fact people don't even bother to ask first took me by surprise when I moved here.
In the 2.5 years we have been here - I have never once had anyone ask me about my religious beliefs or invite me to church. Maybe I just look like a heathen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,241,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
In the 2.5 years we have been here - I have never once had anyone ask me about my religious beliefs or invite me to church. Maybe I just look like a heathen
I guess I look like a heathen too (even though I am Christian, but certainly not extreme about it), I've never had anyone ask out of randomness what my beliefs are nor have I had anyone try and save me.

Or maybe I don't hang around where people who complain about this sort of thing do.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
You're lucky. I had someone tell me the other day that the reason I can't have a baby is because God is punishing me. Great way to promote your religion!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,314 times
When I moved down here 15+ years ago, there were two women at my company who "witnessed" to me. I didn't say anything to anyone because I thought it was harmless but months later they got in trouble when someone went to HR to complain. Never experienced it since.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
When I moved down here 15+ years ago, there were two women at my company who "witnessed" to me. I didn't say anything to anyone because I thought it was harmless but months later they got in trouble when someone went to HR to complain. Never experienced it since.
Yeah, I've had that happen many times in South Jersey. I never said anything either until one got extremely aggressive about it.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 AM

214 posts, read 399,295 times
I'm a WASP and haven't had any problems. White Anglo Saxon Protestant man is the most hated man on earth.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 24,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You're lucky. I had someone tell me the other day that the reason I can't have a baby is because God is punishing me. Great way to promote your religion!
The only person to ever bug me about going to church is my mother and I am born and raised here.

And I swear on all that is holy, if someone ever said some sh*t like that to me, I would punch the in the neck. I've had 6 miscarriages in the last 8 years...I dare someone to say one word to me

Old 11-16-2010, 02:41 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyMae View Post
The only person to ever bug me about going to church is my mother and I am born and raised here.

And I swear on all that is holy, if someone ever said some sh*t like that to me, I would punch the in the neck. I've had 6 miscarriages in the last 8 years...I dare someone to say one word to me
She was lucky she didn't say it to me in person. I would have put her in the hospital.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Quote:

Maybe?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Maybe?

Shut it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte