Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times

Advertisements

I vote for a nice bottle of merlot. In fact, enjoying one as I write.

Best wishes to you, dear Lily. You will find everything you are looking for - in time. You have written so many witty things on this thread . . . I am sure you will find your niche as well as discover others who will fly their freak flag right right beside yours, lol.

Here's to individuality . . . and enjoying the quirkiness of the human condition. (PS. look for folks over 50- it gets easier as one gets older!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:39 AM

299 posts, read 590,101 times
Cheers! And, thank you

Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,109 times
FWIW, I never feel as if I fit in anywhere. I guess that it's just what life has dealt me.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:20 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
FWIW, I never feel as if I fit in anywhere. I guess that it's just what life has dealt me.
superk, I am with you. It's just a matter of feeling LESS odd in some places! Actually, in bigger places and/or Europe, I just feel like my oddity does not matter as much!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 AM

339 posts, read 715,612 times
I am a total freak. However, I drive the minivan and "look" like I belong, but I absolutely do not. As far as I'm concerned I am on mars. Unfortunately, I cannot move. My husband has a job here and is kind of stuck at the moment. I'd love to find a place that is a little more empathetic to others and a lot less conservative.

Everyone has their right to their opinion, but I find I have to keep my mouth shut about things in general, too. I normally never bring up politics, religion, or other hot button issues, but find others do without regard. I'm always in the minority. This even happens at work events I usually just say nothing, but the assumption is there that I am the conservative, god fearing species commonly found here. There are some parts of town that are a little more liberal, open and free. Perhaps you can move? I used to live in the Commonwealth/Plaza-Midwood area. I loved it. You'd fit right in there.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan722 View Post
I am a total freak. However, I drive the minivan and "look" like I belong, but I absolutely do not. As far as I'm concerned I am on mars. Unfortunately, I cannot move. My husband has a job here and is kind of stuck at the moment. I'd love to find a place that is a little more empathetic to others and a lot less conservative.

Everyone has their right to their opinion, but I find I have to keep my mouth shut about things in general, too. I normally never bring up politics, religion, or other hot button issues, but find others do without regard. I'm always in the minority. This even happens at work events I usually just say nothing, but the assumption is there that I am the conservative, god fearing species commonly found here. There are some parts of town that are a little more liberal, open and free. Perhaps you can move? I used to live in the Commonwealth/Plaza-Midwood area. I loved it. You'd fit right in there.

Welcome to the cabal!!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan722 View Post

So, why do you need to "accept" other ppls. views and convictions? What's in it for you to "keep your mouth shut"?

It's really sad to go thru life not being the person you believe you are.

Maybe you're not a "freak" like you claim to be, as you admit here in public you go with the flow and only yearn for this vision of who you would like to be.

Try it out. Bust out a bit over Labor Day w/e. Do something "freaky" like put Christmas decorations on the lawn for Labor Day. Spray paint the minivan with graffiti. (water base paint in case you change your mind).
Invite 100 ppl over for a BBQ at your nabe's house 3 blocks away. Sign her name to the invite.

See my drift? THAT'S "freaky" and might give you the upbeat to the tune of life you're looking for.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 AM

299 posts, read 590,101 times
Pink Caddy, I love your suggestions, but here's the problem. It isn't that we "freaks" don't want to do things like paint the minivan with flames and unicorns, its that we have to think about how our actions could effect our loved ones. So, I want to streak through uptown on a Wednesday afternoon with purple striped tassels affixed to my elbows, but if I did that my husband and kids would have to deal with the fall out.
What Megan and I, and those in the same boat as us, "suffer" from ('suffer' is way too strong of a term) is wanting to be who we are, but not wanting to be selfish about it. It's a tug of war. My spouse knows who I am and, shockingly, loves me anyway, but he also wants me to keep it in check. I don't begrudge him that, not in the least! If situations were reversed and he was the "freak" and I the bread winner I'd expect the same.
What happens is that we grapple with supporting our family's needs vs our own. Family wins, hands down every time, but that doesn't mean we still don't long to break out the tassels.

ps. I don't own tassels. Well, at least not purple striped ones.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
So, why do you need to "accept" other ppls. views and convictions? What's in it for you to "keep your mouth shut"?

It's really sad to go thru life not being the person you believe you are.

Maybe you're not a "freak" like you claim to be, as you admit here in public you go with the flow and only yearn for this vision of who you would like to be.

Try it out. Bust out a bit over Labor Day w/e. Do something "freaky" like put Christmas decorations on the lawn for Labor Day. Spray paint the minivan with graffiti. (water base paint in case you change your mind).
Invite 100 ppl over for a BBQ at your nabe's house 3 blocks away. Sign her name to the invite.

See my drift? THAT'S "freaky" and might give you the upbeat to the tune of life you're looking for.
First off, I'm in the same boat as the poster and I keep my mouth shut most of the time too. What's in it for me is that I get to keep my friends, my husband doesn't get embarrassed, and I keep my sanity by not having to explain my views to simple minded people who only see things their way.

It's absolutely MADDENING to know that you live in a place where if you admit who you are or what you believe that you will be judged, talked about, scorned, and ignored. Don't come at me with the self-esteem BS and that people shouldn't care what others think...that's complete crap. Everyone cares what other people think. That's why we dress a certain way, say certain things (like ma'am, for crying out loud), etc.

Inviting 100 people to a barbeque at your neighbor's house is just plain rude and stupid. That's not being "freaky". Having different views than most of the people in your community doesn't mean you are an impolite moron who wants to disrespect people and spraypaint the lawn.

Argh!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
First off, I'm in the same boat as the poster and I keep my mouth shut most of the time too. What's in it for me is that I get to keep my friends, my husband doesn't get embarrassed, and I keep my sanity by not having to explain my views to simple minded people who only see things their way.

It's absolutely MADDENING to know that you live in a place where if you admit who you are or what you believe that you will be judged, talked about, scorned, and ignored. Don't come at me with the self-esteem BS and that people shouldn't care what others think...that's complete crap. Everyone cares what other people think. That's why we dress a certain way, say certain things (like ma'am, for crying out loud), etc.

Inviting 100 people to a barbeque at your neighbor's house is just plain rude and stupid. That's not being "freaky". Having different views than most of the people in your community doesn't mean you are an impolite moron who wants to disrespect people and spraypaint the lawn.

Argh!
The sad thing is, tho . . . it may be there are many folks around you who do share your ideas and interests, but since no one is voicing them due to feeling they must conform . . . people never get hooked up! Now that is just beyond sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte