Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:11 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
Maybe you didn't read why in my posts, or you simply don't accept it. The BLS routinely shrinks the USA workforce. In aggregate they remove ~300,000 people from the workforce each month. Mecklenburg county's share of this was 800+ workers in the last reporting month. The definition of "workforce" gets routinely changed by political hacks then the BLS revises it's calculations based on this new definition. If one reads the fine print, this is stated. (well.... they don't use the term hack)

The percentage they report is only applicable for the current month. It has to be taken in the context that they have removed millions of jobs from even being counted. Thus, it can't be compared to previous months because the base is no longer the same.

100% of this can be verified. The raw numbers are there.

All in all it makes the data pretty useless. It's good for politics and tabloid reporting. Not much else.
Ok I see what you are saying. I finally looked at the link you were referring to.
We could say though, the workforce is always changing and moving. The economy is very dynamic. So how many of the population that moved here are looking for jobs? Many could be retirees. (Just another perspective, not totally disagreeing with what you are saying in your posts).

Another comparison we can do is by taking these two periods:
Oct 2009
LaborForce: 454,440
Employed: 403,430
Unemployed: 51,010

Oct 2010
LaborForce: 456,819
Employed: 411,900
Unemployed: 44,919

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 03:46 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I don't know why you think that I am looking for credibility on this site, that does nothing for me, unlike some.

You keep asking the same questions and the answers are before us all each and every day.
So your answer is "Because I choose not to believe it, it must not be true, and if you question me, you are wrong”. I’m not looking for credibility; just that when I add something to the conversation and present it as a fact, I like to be able say it is based on valid information. You seem content to make statements not based on facts.

FYI as to your original contention, this is why UI is not used to calculate UE:
How the Government Measures Unemployment

“…but they are not used to measure total unemployment because they exclude several important groups. To begin with, not all workers are covered by UI programs. For example, self-employed workers, unpaid family workers, workers in certain not-for-profit organizations, and several other small (primarily seasonal) worker categories are not covered.
In addition, the insured unemployed exclude the following:

Unemployed workers who have exhausted their benefits

Unemployed workers who have not yet earned benefit rights (such as new entrants or reentrants to the labor force)

Disqualified workers whose unemployment is considered to have resulted from their own actions rather than from economic conditions; for example, a worker discharged for misconduct on the job

Otherwise eligible unemployed persons who do not file for benefits

Because of these and other limitations, statistics on insured unemployment cannot be used as a count of total unemployment in the United States. Indeed, during 2008, only 36 percent of the total unemployed received UI benefits. The weekly data on UI claims do have important uses, however, and provide a timely indicator on labor market conditions.”

Old 12-04-2010, 04:55 AM

171 posts, read 317,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Ok I see what you are saying. I finally looked at the link you were referring to.
We could say though, the workforce is always changing and moving. The economy is very dynamic. So how many of the population that moved here are looking for jobs? Many could be retirees. (Just another perspective, not totally disagreeing with what you are saying in your posts).

Another comparison we can do is by taking these two periods:
Oct 2009
LaborForce: 454,440
Employed: 403,430
Unemployed: 51,010

Oct 2010
LaborForce: 456,819
Employed: 411,900
Unemployed: 44,919

What do you think?
Sure. This comparison says the workforce in Charlotte is 2379 larger than it was in October 2009. In addition it says tha, 8470 more people were employed than in October 2009. Given the details of the data, this is the only statement you can make. Because if you go back to October 2008 you get this:

Oct 2008
Labor Force 473,896
Employed 441,994
Unemployed 31,902

This is why cherry picking two dates and then drawing conclusions over the economy in Charlotte is pretty worthless due diligence. Yet this is what is spewed out every day by the mainstream media and by irresponsible politicians.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:35 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,353 times
I wouldn't say that picking a year-over-year comparison is 'cherry-picking' two dates.

In terms of employment figures, they do tend to be lagging indicators...and there is a lot of noise in the figures due to seasonality, temporary workers, public vs private sector, census jobs earlier this year, etc. I think that month-to-month movement is fairly worthless to look at.

We know that the economy needs to produce about 200K jobs a month to keep up with the pace of population growth.

I will say that for my sector of the economy, things are significantly better than LY. Have they recovered to the point of pre-recession? Obviously not, but my company and others are hiring again and making investments in infrastructure, IT, etc and things were going the other way last year.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:29 AM

The real economy isn't producing anywhere near that type of growth, in fact it's still in the business of sending jobs overseas and/or simply disappearing. Almost all the growth has come at the hands of the federal government from essentially printing money.

One would hope the printing of over $2T+ dollars of cash over the last 12 months and the subsequent dumping into the economy would cause some short term "stimulation". This is in addition to endless war spending and all the other things the government spends money on. Long term, just like the cheap credit into the real estate industry it explodes. Successful business owners making investments understand the difference. If not, they join ranks of the bankrupt and closed businesses. That is unless they have been deemed "too big to fail".

This is what happens when the federal government and federal reserve are picking the winners and losers in the market now. Right now, they have decided that the banking industry gets precedence over any and everything else in this country. This has been to Charlotte's big benefit. Yet even with all this, the workforce is still shrinking.

----------------------------------

This is a very simple question.

For those of you who believe things are getting better, the question is what problems were fixed which caused the collapse in the first place?

Old 12-04-2010, 09:34 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,044,665 times
This is a very simple question.

For those of you who believe things are getting better, the question is what problems were fixed which caused the collapse in the first place?

Well, not to say that EVERYTHING has been fixed, but, one of the primary things has: tougher qualifications for mortgage loans and tighter regulations on banks/ mortgage lenders. That will help tremendously in the long term.

We still have lots of reforms to go and the regulations on the banks need to be even tighter; in fact, I am in favour of breaking up the so-called "too big to fail" banks and making smaller, regional banks the requirement. But, we are making "baby steps" towards this.

Also, reducing the tax loopholes that allow corporations to offshore. Many companies, in anticipation of the passage of that bill are reigning in their offshore sites. We haven't seen the full impact yet, but, we will once that is in place. I hope the crazies in Washington don't decide that is bad, too.

Once again, the biggest piece of this puzzle is "optimism". If people feel optimistic, even just a little, it will go a LONG way towards our recovery. Because, remember, a huge piece of the recovery is consumer spending. If consumers don't spend, the whole economy suffers. People don't spend if they are worried about the future. If there is a glimmer of hope, then, people will spend money. and, on and on it goes.

No, we are not out of the woods yet. But, this recession/depression was the worst in history since the Great Depression. It did not take 2 years to get into; it took 2 years for everything to explode. It took a lot longer to get there. It will take a long time to get out of. But, we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. No, things will not be like "before". No, it will not be jobs everywhere and huge growth. Because if it was, then, it would be as if the whole thing never happened. But, people will adjust, there will be other industries to open up (just as has happened before in history) and it will be better. Just on a much smaller scale. If you pay attention, you will see things happening for the better...no need for the media and the scrupulous crunching of numbers...just look around you. It's not perfect by any means. But, it IS better. and, hopefully, the crazy people in Washington (who don't have a clue about what is going on in the real world) will wake up and see what needs to be done to continue this trend. We cannot give up on our people, because that is what this country is made up of. And, we cannot keep giving to the rich and taking away from the middle class & poor. ~ anyway, enough of my rant. Please just look around, walk around a mall, see what is happening with the DOW (stock market). And, be hopeful. Help someone in need, give them hope, too.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,353 times
More 'prevented from getting worse' than fixed, IMO. The actions of the federal government, while far from perfect, did do some good. Kept the banking sector from collapse, saved hundreds of thousands of jobs at GM and related suppliers, prevented/delayed severe layoffs at the state and local levels, kept capital markets at least somewhat intact, etc.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,897 times
I’ve read through each post in this thread and have been encouraged by what I’ve read. Many people, with a large range of viewpoints and opinions, are starting to “get it.” We just need to get together and put it all together!

Some have expressed feelings of hope & optimism about our future. This is good.

Others (like Cherry & Chrome) have expressed concerns over the truthfulness of economic and banking headlines as well as the data that the government releases. This healthy skepticism is also very good.

Another thing mentioned by Chicagocubs is that we need to be ready to help others. This is a good thing!

One thing that isn’t good: we can’t label the skeptics as “doom and gloomers” and fail to take their concerns seriously. For decades, there have been skeptics raising heartfelt concerns over America’s banking system, monetary policy, lack of fiscal responsibility, wanton spending, lack of transparency with the Federal Reserve, fiat currency, artificial bubble booms and the busts that inevitably follow. Sadly, the “doom and gloomers” of yester-year were more correct than anyone wanted to believe.

The façade is cracked and some Americans are peaking inside and taking a hard look at the irresponsible behavior of our government and banking system for the last several decades. Many of those people are shocked at what they’ve seen. They feel betrayed, controlled, hopeless & alone. Many feel it’s only a matter of time before the whole system crashes and anarchy rules the day. Some are concerned that America will turn to the first smooth talking, confidence inspiring savior that comes along to save us from ourselves. Many have struggled with sadness and depression over these concerns and feel powerless to do anything about it. This is not good. We must not lose hope!

Other Americans don’t care to question the headlines. Many don’t understand the implications of economic news, fiscal policy, & monetary policy and don’t care to educate themselves. Many don’t care to question the official story for fear of being labeled a “doom & gloomer” or a “tinfoil hatter.” Many simply choose pretend everything is getting back to “normal” and have resumed spending & financing. This viewpoint is not good and leads to ruin.

Why did I put “normal” in quotes above? Because the economic conditions many/most of us have experienced for most or all of our lives aren’t “normal.” The last several decades of mostly prosperous economic times in America were created by unsustainable monetary policies, fiscal policies, and runaway spending by the government as well as individual Americans. These conditions aren’t “normal.” I’ve heard friends and colleagues talk about “when the housing market gets back to normal I’ll…” or “when the economy gets back to normal we plan to…” I’ve got news folks: That “normal” isn’t coming back. The old “normal” was an unsustainable lie. We should not hope for its return as it leads to financial collapse in the end. America must accept, and in fact demand, a new “normal.”

What is this new “normal?” I’m just one man, and can’t define it alone. However, I’ve got some suggested starting points.

Individual Americans:
  • First, we must educate ourselves & each other so we can accept how precarious America’s financial condition really is. Denying the gravity of the situation won’t make it go away. We must take responsibility for our actions and work to clean up this mess!
  • Many of us must accept the standards of living we were formerly accustomed to were a lie, supported largely by unsustainable borrowing at all levels. We must be true to ourselves and live within our means. We also must demand this from our government.
  • Above I said “many” because some people do live within their means and know how to do it. This is not a time to gloat. In a spirit of love, help your friends and family understand how to make it work!
  • We must accept that charity is the responsibility of individuals working together, not the government. Those of us with means must contribute to needs within our community must do so.
  • Pay down your debt. Save for hard times!

Government:
  • We must demand a balanced budget, eliminate the deficit, and establish a coherent plan to pay down our debt.
  • We must prevent the government from borrowing any more money. Americans are going to have to learn to live within their means. The government is too!
  • We must accept that we do not have the means to be the world’s military or police force. We simply can’t afford this anymore.
  • Many entitlement programs must be scaled back to only the neediest recipients or eliminated completely. Individual Americans working together must fill the gap.
  • We must demand term limits for all politicians.
  • We must demand transparency from the Federal Reserve. I’m not sure if the current “Audit the Fed” movement will accomplish this or not, but it is a place to start! This entity has more power to influence America’s economy than the President, Senate, & Congress combined, yet we have little information regarding their dealings. (Much of the bailout money (our tax money) is unaccounted for and the Fed refuses to disclose all of the recipients.)
  • Even better, we should demand the government drop the Federal Reserve System and create & adopt a backed currency!

A few more points:
  • This isn’t a Democrat or Republican thing. Both parties have been all too eager to rape the wealth of this county and push us to the brink of financial ruin, and for what? Theories abound!
  • We, Americans, must band together and demand responsible behavior from our leaders. Politics will lead us to our doom. Politicians seek to divide us on certain issues to distract us from how bad things really are. We must not let them distract us!
  • WE MUST NOT LOSE HOPE! Let’s accept that things are going to get worse before they get better. Let’s accept that things are going to be tough for a long while. Let’s also accept that we built this country once, and WE CAN DO IT AGAIN!
  • Flood your leaders with letters, calls, emails, etc. We must let them know that we are not asleep anymore and we are expecting responsible behavior!

OK, I’m done. Let the flames begin!

Old 12-04-2010, 01:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,394,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I’ve read through each post in this thread and have been encouraged by what I’ve read. Many people, with a large range of viewpoints and opinions, are starting to “get it.” We just need to get together and put it all together!

Some have expressed feelings of hope & optimism about our future. This is good.

Others (like Cherry & Chrome) have expressed concerns over the truthfulness of economic and banking headlines as well as the data that the government releases. This healthy skepticism is also very good.

Another thing mentioned by Chicagocubs is that we need to be ready to help others. This is a good thing!

One thing that isn’t good: we can’t label the skeptics as “doom and gloomers” and fail to take their concerns seriously. For decades, there have been skeptics raising heartfelt concerns over America’s banking system, monetary policy, lack of fiscal responsibility, wanton spending, lack of transparency with the Federal Reserve, fiat currency, artificial bubble booms and the busts that inevitably follow. Sadly, the “doom and gloomers” of yester-year were more correct than anyone wanted to believe.

The façade is cracked and some Americans are peaking inside and taking a hard look at the irresponsible behavior of our government and banking system for the last several decades. Many of those people are shocked at what they’ve seen. They feel betrayed, controlled, hopeless & alone. Many feel it’s only a matter of time before the whole system crashes and anarchy rules the day. Some are concerned that America will turn to the first smooth talking, confidence inspiring savior that comes along to save us from ourselves. Many have struggled with sadness and depression over these concerns and feel powerless to do anything about it. This is not good. We must not lose hope!

Other Americans don’t care to question the headlines. Many don’t understand the implications of economic news, fiscal policy, & monetary policy and don’t care to educate themselves. Many don’t care to question the official story for fear of being labeled a “doom & gloomer” or a “tinfoil hatter.” Many simply choose pretend everything is getting back to “normal” and have resumed spending & financing. This viewpoint is not good and leads to ruin.

Why did I put “normal” in quotes above? Because the economic conditions many/most of us have experienced for most or all of our lives aren’t “normal.” The last several decades of mostly prosperous economic times in America were created by unsustainable monetary policies, fiscal policies, and runaway spending by the government as well as individual Americans. These conditions aren’t “normal.” I’ve heard friends and colleagues talk about “when the housing market gets back to normal I’ll…” or “when the economy gets back to normal we plan to…” I’ve got news folks: That “normal” isn’t coming back. The old “normal” was an unsustainable lie. We should not hope for its return as it leads to financial collapse in the end. America must accept, and in fact demand, a new “normal.”

What is this new “normal?” I’m just one man, and can’t define it alone. However, I’ve got some suggested starting points.

Individual Americans:
  • First, we must educate ourselves & each other so we can accept how precarious America’s financial condition really is. Denying the gravity of the situation won’t make it go away. We must take responsibility for our actions and work to clean up this mess!
  • Many of us must accept the standards of living we were formerly accustomed to were a lie, supported largely by unsustainable borrowing at all levels. We must be true to ourselves and live within our means. We also must demand this from our government.
  • Above I said “many” because some people do live within their means and know how to do it. This is not a time to gloat. In a spirit of love, help your friends and family understand how to make it work!
  • We must accept that charity is the responsibility of individuals working together, not the government. Those of us with means must contribute to needs within our community must do so.
  • Pay down your debt. Save for hard times!
Government:
  • We must demand a balanced budget, eliminate the deficit, and establish a coherent plan to pay down our debt.
  • We must prevent the government from borrowing any more money. Americans are going to have to learn to live within their means. The government is too!
  • We must accept that we do not have the means to be the world’s military or police force. We simply can’t afford this anymore.
  • Many entitlement programs must be scaled back to only the neediest recipients or eliminated completely. Individual Americans working together must fill the gap.
  • We must demand term limits for all politicians.
  • We must demand transparency from the Federal Reserve. I’m not sure if the current “Audit the Fed” movement will accomplish this or not, but it is a place to start! This entity has more power to influence America’s economy than the President, Senate, & Congress combined, yet we have little information regarding their dealings. (Much of the bailout money (our tax money) is unaccounted for and the Fed refuses to disclose all of the recipients.)
  • Even better, we should demand the government drop the Federal Reserve System and create & adopt a backed currency!
A few more points:
  • This isn’t a Democrat or Republican thing. Both parties have been all too eager to rape the wealth of this county and push us to the brink of financial ruin, and for what? Theories abound!
  • We, Americans, must band together and demand responsible behavior from our leaders. Politics will lead us to our doom. Politicians seek to divide us on certain issues to distract us from how bad things really are. We must not let them distract us!
  • WE MUST NOT LOSE HOPE! Let’s accept that things are going to get worse before they get better. Let’s accept that things are going to be tough for a long while. Let’s also accept that we built this country once, and WE CAN DO IT AGAIN!
  • Flood your leaders with letters, calls, emails, etc. We must let them know that we are not asleep anymore and we are expecting responsible behavior!
great post, I might add that the gov't has to desolve the Dept of Energy and Education as well.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I commend you for your post. This is the basic problem to be solved.

This video, for those who have not seen it, has been making its rounds since Thanksgiving. IMO it could have been filmed in numerous parts of the Charlotte area.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte