Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 PM

8 posts, read 13,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I'm not sure people genuinely think it's boring, or that it's lacking anything, they just want something different, much like you. If you're itching to leave your home state, obviously you desire something different.

Charlotte is what it is. I don't love it here, but I don't desire it to change, I'd just rather live somewhere else. It's all in what is important to you and what your lifestyle demands. I think it's a great city for families with young kids and it's in a great location. There are plenty of things to do for almost anyone.

Anyway, comparisons to other cities are kind of silly. Why leave a place if you just desire the same thing in your new city?

I didnt know Charlotte was mostly familes. Which areas are for singles, who love to hang out, in a mature atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM

119 posts, read 247,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson23 View Post
There's no need to elaborate on anything because it is literally this simple:

2AM Last Call = Boring
With that logic, then Denver, LA, San Francisco, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, Austin, Portland, Seattle, San Diego, Minneapolis, Baltimore, and plenty of other large metros must be boring?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:24 PM

116 posts, read 216,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I find Charlotte to be a clean efficient place.Decent policies and growth patterns.Pro Business.Pro Family.But I honestly find it lacking any passion or heart.People will attack me and say I hate Charlotte but its just not the case.I want Charlotte to be better than it is.Charlotte is like San Diego without the beaches and natural beauty.What is San Diego known for other than that?
I cant say that Charlotte is doing the wrong things,because they are not.Its just that sometimes when you are busy changing everything about you,you forget who you are and what you look like.Thats Charlotte "problem".Not a bad one to have but it is there.
I kind of see what you're saying, by nature Charlotte is a newer city focused on more modern things with less history. But maybe that is the heart and spirit of Charlotte, may not be for everybody, especially history buffs (and I like history so I am disappointed there) but I think it's more about what attitude you have about a place when you approach it, and what you want to get out of it, that makes it what it is for you, and that's different for everybody. For myself I find the family oriented side of things extremely boring AS A WHOLE, but there's plenty of families in town that are interesting on an individual basis, just like there are swaths of Charlotte that don't appeal to me, but certain neighborhoods individually are worth checking out. It just depends on an open mind, you're not going to find Baltimore-ness in Atlanta, or Boston in LA, if all 4 of those cities are unique that's why they are unique they have different things to offer.

Btw, I actually had a lot of fun in San Diego, I am glad I was stationed there 2 years rather than Norfolk, sure the Hampton Roads area has a lot more history, but there was plenty of spirit in San Diego, if nothing else, military for me was a unique experience FULL of spirit lol.

But on the surface, it's true, Charlotte is not going to appeal to a lot of people up front because it's like a textbook example of boring IMO to a large group of people (history, culture, arguably food, shopping, etc) I know a lot of people would counter what I said there, and they'd be correct, but they'd be basing it on what I would, you just have to dig a little deeper here than some places to findwhat you're looking for, inside(soul searching and there's plenty of nature and activities to enjoy that) and out (places to have a good time). That's my two cents anyway.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 PM

116 posts, read 216,822 times
And who knows you might discover things you didn't know about the place, and things you didn't know, if you stay long enough, plenty of people must have done that, or they wouldn't be here, if they didn't, and chose to stay, then complain, they're just taking up too much space wherever they go, if you can't go home, you can't go nowhere, cuz they're wasting the air I breath.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,367,981 times
"...arguably food". I'll argue with you. I think Charlotte has a ton of great restaurants and specialty shops.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:06 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinabfromctown View Post
I didnt know Charlotte was mostly familes. Which areas are for singles, who love to hang out, in a mature atmosphere?
Charlotte does well in the mature singles category also.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 9,243 times
We moved here from Dallas, TX last fall and I have to say that I am going though a terrible homesickness right now! Dallas is obviously a major city and has so many things to offer....from rodeos, to multiple hands-on kids museums, parades, major league teams, lakes all over the place, Legolands (I have 2 boys!), multiple water parks, etc. There is a sense of pride in Texas about the state and it has a definite culture. One of my issues with Charlotte is - what defines it? What makes it special? Haven't found it yet. Yes, I know the mountains are a few hours away and the beaches are a few hours away. But - what about day in/day out living in Charlotte? Not very impressed so far. When we found out we were moving here, I thought it would be a city with lots of Southern charm. It's not. It has the feel to me of a "pre-fab" city that has no interest in its past and doesn't know what it wants to be. I guess if we had moved here from a smaller city, we would think its great. But, coming from Dallas - it is a hard adjustment.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,163 times
I moved here from Dallas also and I far prefer it in Charlotte because I could not stand the hot summers (yes, even hotter than Charlotte) in Dallas and the long distance from Mountains and good hiking. I believe the closest mountains (I don't count Hill Country) are actually in New Mexico 11 hours of driving time (I've done it). Heck in 7 hours, we can be in Washington DC, 4 to Atlanta not to even mention the mountains and the beach. How many waterparks does a kid need? We have a great one at Carowinds and the various YMCA's. We have two hands on science museums now that Discovery Place has opened a branch in Huntersville, two zoo's within a days drive, and lesser known museums nearby like Museum of York County and the Shiele Museum:
Culture & Heritage Museums
Schiele Museum

In fact we have everything you mention except Legoland, even rodeos if you look for them.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I moved here from Dallas also and I far prefer it in Charlotte because I could not stand the hot summers (yes, even hotter than Charlotte) in Dallas and the long distance from Mountains and good hiking. I believe the closest mountains (I don't count Hill Country) are actually in New Mexico 11 hours of driving time (I've done it). Heck in 7 hours, we can be in Washington DC, 4 to Atlanta not to even mention the mountains and the beach. How many waterparks does a kid need? We have a great one at Carowinds and the various YMCA's. We have two hands on science museums now that Discovery Place has opened a branch in Huntersville, two zoo's within a days drive, and lesser known museums nearby like Museum of York County and the Shiele Museum:
Culture & Heritage Museums
Schiele Museum

In fact we have everything you mention except Legoland, even rodeos if you look for them.
---- What about the one at Concord MillS?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
---- What about the one at Concord MillS?
I think the one in Dallas is like a small amusement park. Concord mills is just a store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte