Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 05:41 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Obviously you didn't read the whole post... To reiterate for you, if the Panthers "reduce turnovers and score more touchdowns" then they would have points SIMILAR to the 49ers. If they did, they would be outscoring what the defense gives up (on average). Not hard to grasp...

Since you will obviously need more proof on this...
Alex Smith has 2 interceptions on the year.
Cam Newton has 9 interceptions on the year.

I still don't see how you still put ALL the blame on the defense, especially since Newton has thrown picks in the red zone area i.e. missed scores.

If the offense keeps turnovers down (instead of 3 interception games), then they should beat Washington. They are starting a QB that played in cleanup time last game who hadn't seen the field since 2007 after getting benched in Miami. In Miami for the 5 games Beck played, he threw 3 picks and fumble 5 times to 1 touchdown. Does that make him better than Grossman... to me, sounds like Grossman... As for Hightower, you do realize he is only averaging 3.5 yard/carry and got his first rushing TD last week...
You expect a rookie QB on a 2-14 team with a new HC to be in the top 6 in scoring? This is exactly what I'm talking about. You want a top 10 scoring offense while ignoring the D is 31st.

Cam definitely needs to calm down on the TO's but he is a rookie, you expect a rookie to make mistakes, especially when you have to score 30+ to win because the defense sucks.

The Redskins are being sold short IMO. Their D is pretty good and you don't have to be great to dominate the Panthers D. Washington isn't a bad team, this game will be close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You expect a rookie QB on a 2-14 team with a new HC to be in the top 6 in scoring? This is exactly what I'm talking about. You want a top 10 scoring offense while ignoring the D is 31st.
You do realize 49ers were #24 in scoring last year... Again, they have a new coach too... yes Smith is a vet but a vet who barely had a positive TD:INT ratio last year.

Is it beyond to think that they could/should be scoring more than 22 on average? No, especially with as much yardage as the Panthers put up. You almost expect that they should put up more points.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:30 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,808,276 times
Quote:
I still don't see how you still put ALL the blame on the defense, especially since Newton has thrown picks in the red zone area i.e. missed scores.
It's not a case of putting all the blame on the defense.
After 6 weeks, the defense has more room for improvement than Cam Newton. And it's more realistic to ask the defense to get their game to a 'B' grade, than for Cam go to an 'A'.

I believe that the coach would consider their performances as bigger issue than that of their QB.
Can both improve? Of course, but one has a bigger margin.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
You do realize 49ers were #24 in scoring last year... Again, they have a new coach too... yes Smith is a vet but a vet who barely had a positive TD:INT ratio last year.

Is it beyond to think that they could/should be scoring more than 22 on average? No, especially with as much yardage as the Panthers put up. You almost expect that they should put up more points.
You expect perfection from a first year QB and a first year HC? It would be nice if Cam never threw and INT, had 300 yards, 2 TD's and the RB's had 150 on the ground....

I think it's unrealistic to expect a rookie QB's offense to put up top 10 scoring. The more you ask of Cam the more mistakes you have to live with.... if the ground game gets more consistent you will see less TO's but given how bad the D is the offense is pressed to make thugs happen to keep up with their opponents. If the D could hold a few teams to lower points you will more W's and less TO's.

Cam isn't without blame but I think EVERYONE realizes rookie QB's are prone to make more mistakes in their first year if the offense is put on their shoulders. Most successful first year QB's have top 10 defenses and a strong ground game.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:23 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,666 times
If the ground game gets going for Carolina that will be a huge boost for Cam and the offense. They have two studs in the backfield who simply are not getting it done right now. This forces a rookie QB to be put in situations you'd rather not see ideally.

I expect the Washington game to be close simply because the Redskin offense is pretty bad and hopefully they don't have the talent at QB to really exploit the Panther D like some of the other teams we've faced (Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc.). Ouch, that's a heck of a lot of talent at the opposing QB position who can pick apart a good defense, much less the defense the Panthers put out there.

Let's not forget the Panthers are playing one of the toughest schedules in the NFL this year, coming off a horrible year. Life isn't fair sometimes. haha

Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 AM

359 posts, read 591,833 times
Redskins - 17
Panther - 13

Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 PM

218 posts, read 244,558 times
Panthers 24
Redskins 17

Old 10-23-2011, 06:34 AM

Panthers 17
Deadskins 16

Old 10-23-2011, 04:41 PM

wow... I was worried early on because Hightower had 65 yards in the first qtr. I missed the second half but it looked like they really put on a show.

When the D shows up.. it sure makes it a lot easier.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
wow... I was worried early on because Hightower had 65 yards in the first qtr. I missed the second half but it looked like they really put on a show.

When the D shows up.. it sure makes it a lot easier.
Told ya they'd take this Felt...it was a good matchup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte